ShowMax to let users download TV shows, movies instead of streaming: report

Dan C

Honorary Master
Download the movies instead of streaming it....on your 4MB connection that would otherwise play Youtube 720p videos smoothly...
This is just Showmax admitting that their streaming is k*k slow on a normal connection.
#fail

It is a bit slow sometimes. I had good experience on 4mbps line. But I wonder why all the content is hosted overseas, even the Kyknet channels.

jackshiels

Expert Member
No, they know what netflix is going to do, and it is exactly this, showmax are ensuring there is 0 reason to even start Netflix in sa

Lol, they release a good product and people still put it down. Typical SA attitude.

Pitbull

Verboten
Lol, they release a good product and people still put it down. Typical SA attitude.

Apart from some local content I really wanted to watch. I can't see anything "good" about it :confused:

I have mentioned my concerns before and not going to again as I haven't used it since my 7 days expired. Just curious as to what good product you're referring too? :eek:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Makes sense in a South African context where the overall line speed is quite low.

The iTunes model works in this manner after all.

It would be nice as an option, especially if you want to increase overall quality.

jackshiels

Expert Member
Apart from some local content I really wanted to watch. I can't see anything "good" about it :confused:

I have mentioned my concerns before and not going to again as I haven't used it since my 7 days expired. Just curious as to what good product you're referring too? :eek:

From what I've seen it's pretty good for a newly opened, R99/m product. Lots of series. It is early days and it has a good showing.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Multichoice is a separate company to Showmax, Naspers is the holding company of both. So Multichoice isn't doing anything.
Holding company se moer man... that's just mere jargon... same bosses at the end of the day, same bosses whom are getting the pocket linings.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
It's pretty cool actually, for people who don't have access to higher speeds required for streaming...

Pitbull

Verboten
From what I've seen it's pretty good for a newly opened, R99/m product. Lots of series. It is early days and it has a good showing.

By all means it's not that bad. But once you have used a sleek operation like Netflix, the cracks and short comings are abundantly clear.

Dan C

Honorary Master

Have to agree here. I've see they are adding more content by the day. The interface on the Samsung TV app is a bit crappy tho' and I get errors now and again. But like you said.. it's early days still.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Is it only me or is MultiChoice/Naspers doing everything they hurdled others to do?

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Still though. Their creations have value even when not buying something physical.

When you buy the licensed merchandise you send them money, indirectly. The show becomes an ad for the product. The company gets paid. So you compensate for that value. And as said the shows on Daisuki for example, are free, they are legally free, at least for now.