ShowMax versus DStv – let the battle begin

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Like Netflix, ShowMax is almost entirely back catalogue stuff - way different with what DSTV offers.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Like Netflix, ShowMax is almost entirely back catalogue stuff - way different with what DSTV offers.

True. But that hasn't stopped Netflix from becoming a competitor to Verizon FiOS and AT&T uVerse.
SA now just needs something similar to Hulu

Hectic

Executive Member
Do you need the DSTV premium subscription to have access to this offer or is Showmax a stand alone product?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
True. But that hasn't stopped Netflix from becoming a competitor to Verizon FiOS and AT&T uVerse.
SA now just needs something similar to Hulu
I'd rather see something similar to Sky's NowTV being offered locally with a combination of live streaming channels and back catalogue stuff. DSTV would be the obvious, perhaps the only, provider capable but they lack the foresight.

Elfreako

Expert Member
ShowMax is seriously being over-hyped here. If you actually spend 15 minutes trying out you will see how much still needs to be improved. Maybe in the future this article would make sense. Now? Not at all.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Do you need the DSTV premium subscription to have access to this offer or is Showmax a stand alone product?

Separate company. Nothing to do with DSTV, other than Multichoice and ShowMax have the same parent company

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
ShowMax is seriously being over-hyped here. If you actually spend 15 minutes trying out you will see how much still needs to be improved. Maybe in the future this article would make sense. Now? Not at all.
I tried streaming an episode of Egoli yesterday on my iPad but it was atrocious. If they come out with a Roku app I might subscribe for a trial period.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I'd rather see something similar to Sky's NowTV being offered locally with a combination of live streaming channels and back catalogue stuff. DSTV would be the obvious, perhaps the only, provider capable but they lack the foresight.

I imagine DSTV will do something similar to NowTV. (Or Charter)

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Separate company. Nothing to do with DSTV, other than Multichoice and ShowMax have the same parent company

Having the same parent company is hardly "nothing to do with each other". You can rest assured that everything on Showmax has been carefully geared to make sure that it in no ways impinges on Multichoice's bottom line at all. It would be completely naive to think otherwise.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Having the same parent company is hardly "nothing to do with each other". You can rest assured that everything on Showmax has been carefully geared to make sure that it in no ways impinges on Multichoice's bottom line at all. It would be completely naive to think otherwise.

It's quite tinfoil hattish to think that.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Yeah no ads, and being able to watch a season all at once instead of waiting weekly for episodes.

It's superior.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yeah no ads, and being able to watch a season all at once instead of waiting weekly for episodes.

It's superior.
If you like binge watching it's fine but without the latest content people are still going to have an itch.

This is coming from the guy who has just watched 258 episodes of NCIS on the trot. :D