Shure headphones (or other high quality headphones) in SA

squirrel

Expert Member
Hello,

A friend of mine wants to buy these headphones from that site. Is there anywhere cheaper, and/or would you recommend any alternatives for that price?

DJ...

Banned
What a rip off - for in ear phones that's a ludicrous price. Do they have to be in-ear phones? Shure are renowned for their mics, not headphones though - although the two are very similar in technical design.

If it's brands you're after, then within that price range, Sennheiser, AKG and Sonys are all viable alternatives but I have no idea about the in-ear options - not my first choice at all - especially if I'm paying R1,5k...

squirrel

Expert Member
What a rip off - for in ear phones that's a ludicrous price. Do they have to be in-ear phones? Shure are renowned for their mics, not headphones though - although the two are very similar in technical design.

If it's brands you're after, then within that price range, Sennheiser, AKG and Sonys are all viable alternatives but I have no idea about the in-ear options - not my first choice at all - especially if I'm paying R1,5k...

Yes he wants in-ears. Hey, it's not my money and he wants to spend that amount. He said the reviews were good :p

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Shameless postwhoring there Lance - nice one!!! :D

OK, well I won't be much help then - I prefer proper headphones and have never bothered with these gimmicky in-ear options...;)

What headphones do you have DJK..?

DJ...

Banned
What headphones do you have DJK..?

I've got a few. Sennhesier HD25s X 2, Sennheiser HD650 X 1, Technics RP DJ1200 X 1 and Sony MDRV700 X 1.

I also have a few older ones lying around - 2 old AKGs and a fscked pair of Technics DHJ1000s that only work in mono now...:(

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
In-ears work really well if one doesn't object to an object that far inserted into the ear cavity. They very effective at insulating the ear from outside noise even at low volumes. I have a pair of Sennheiser CX300 In-Ear earphones which cost around R500 but you can get a generic Razer Pro|Tone m100 In-Ear Ear Phones for R300 that are practically identical. (www.sybaritic.co.za). I use these in ears in conjunction with my iPod.
I'm not sure how much better the R1500 pair would be but that sounds a tad excessive.

DJ...

Banned
In-ears work really well if one doesn't object to an object that far inserted into the ear cavity.

Looking after your ears is pretty damn important - and shoving those things in is certainly not good for them at all. Well I won't take the chance at least...

sand_man

Honorary Master
Looking after your ears is pretty damn important - and shoving those things in is certainly not good for them at all. Well I won't take the chance at least...
Agreed which is why the in-ears is such a good alternative. Because of the massive reduction in ambient noise you don't need high volume for listening clarity/enjoyment. They very specifically designed to sit comfortably in the ear cavity without violating the ear drum and at the same time they form a vacuum insulating the ear from outside noise, really quite effective but if you not used to them they might be conceived as intrusive.. Personally I cannot use anything else, they discreet and unobtrusive enough to use in the gym and they don't dislodge easily...

Having said that I listen to my pod at max volume for 1.5-2hrs a day for at least 5 days a week while at the gym.. The impact on my hearing hasn't been significant but there has been some deterioration...

My right ear sometimes reverberates like a blown tweeter... Pretty annoying but more worrying evidence of damage..

Last edited:

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
In-ears work really well if one doesn't object to an object that far inserted into the ear cavity. They very effective at insulating the ear from outside noise even at low volumes. I have a pair of Sennheiser CX300 In-Ear earphones which cost around R500 but you can get a generic Razer Pro|Tone m100 In-Ear Ear Phones for R300 that are practically identical. (www.sybaritic.co.za). I use these in ears in conjunction with my iPod.
I'm not sure how much better the R1500 pair would be but that sounds a tad excessive.

+1, love them! Obviously not as high spec as the Shures though.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Sennheiser are the best value for money headphones you can get. I've had a pair that cost me 20 pounds in the UK for like two years and they still haven't lost their fidelity. Sound quality will match a far more expensive pair of headphones. Better do some research before plonking down those prices for a pair of headphones.

PeterCH

Honorary Master

From what I read up over the years in iPodLounge and numerous PMP
forums, was that Etymotic Research and Shure were the best for in-ear
phones. Sennheiser is a decent, known brand - it's European so we're more
exposed to it in SA but like Shure they are also microphone makers. Shure and Etymotic are US brands, they're very
popular among North American users of iPods and other PMPs. I guess you probably can't go wrong with either of these 3,
Shure, Etymotic Research and Sennheiser. I did hear though that Ety's edge out in terms of value for money the other two,
so if you see a small price difference, the Ety's are probably better than again it depends on who you listen to.

I actually own a pair of SE310s and they sound really clear with decent bass. I bought them in the US and I see they retail for R2500 or around that price at Look and Listen.
The other way of getting these is to buy them on Ebay, both Etymotic Research and Shure are available there, often at prices below MSRP,
despite the sellers being dealers - they don't advertise their price.
The shipping for these light devices is also cheap so its wortwhile to
go that way or buy abroad and start using as there is no way in heck
customs will know where you bought your earphones.

My only problem with in-ear phones is the fit. The Shure ones come with a variety of rubber and soft malleable ear bud attachments to mould for your external ear canal, but for me, the case is that I often have problems with this. Getting a good
fit takes a lot of time and so I don't use my Shure phones outside if I will be walking, they're great to keep your head still.

However, your mileage may vary as they say. Oh and you get what you pay for although you'd better have a decent source though too. My advice is to read around, check out all the prices local vs import. Remember that Sennheiser is popular in SA
so you'll hear lots of bias towards that make. Sony I would avoid, I bought a pair of $80 Sony earphones in the States too
and they were pretty bad for that price, ie not better than the pair of ear phones which came with my Cowon A3.
EBay is your friend.

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Agreed which is why the in-ears is such a good alternative. Because of the massive reduction in ambient noise you don't need high volume for listening clarity/enjoyment. They very specifically designed to sit comfortably in the ear cavity without violating the ear drum and at the same time they form a vacuum insulating the ear from outside noise, really quite effective but if you not used to them they might be conceived as intrusive.. Personally I cannot use anything else, they discreet and unobtrusive enough to use in the gym and they don't dislodge easily...

Having said that I listen to my pod at max volume for 1.5-2hrs a day for at least 5 days a week while at the gym.. The impact on my hearing hasn't been significant but there has been some deterioration...

My right ear sometimes reverberates like a blown tweeter... Pretty annoying but more worrying evidence of damage..

Didn't your mommy ever tell you to never have head phones on with max volume.

I also find it funny how the beginning of your is all about how the in ears block out ambient noise at low volume, yet you have them on max.

Tad hypocritical don't you think?