Sick Spur employee 'forced' to report for duty collapses during shift, and dies in hospital

Corelli

Expert Member
Some articles are such click bait. Also you cant blame the Spur corp. Its a franchise and each owner has their own management skills (or lack thereof).

In my office if you dont have a sick note or so from a registered doctor you must report for duty. Or, you can put in annual leave.

Spur doesnt have this. Also possibly they may have been sick a few times before and the manager maybe now frustrated. But they went around it the wrong way.

We have a policy. Your family and health comes first (our deal with management). A happy employee will create a happy company. a badly treated one wont.

Great from the spur corp to help the kids going forward. Thats really good. I think the owner of that store may get into a lot of trouble.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
They agreed to every demand of the EFF. As they naturally would irrespective of the actual merits no doubt to avoid cancel culture based on allegations. However Spur denied that the manager forced her to work, they refused to fire the manager. That is telling because I am sure they would gladly fire the manager to get the EFF stamp of approval but perhaps if the manager did not do anything wrong then possibly difficult to fire her to try get that full EFF approval stamp.

Amusingly enough the EFF said they would fire the manager if Spur did not. Democracy in action.
Underpaid worker dies at the Spur - "cancel culture". Jirrefok julle ouens is erg. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
As much as I hate the EFF, they also (very selectively) play the role of civil rights organization. In this case I think that this incident deserves some publicity.

It very definitely does deserve publicity but it also needs to be directed publicity...

So the manager and those dealings need to be revealed... but also the dealings with the doctor who booked the employee off.

Someone in this chain was grossly negligent, but as the story stands right now I am having a hard time buying that Spur is actually responsible for this persons death, it sounds like she was probably going to die during the course of the day whether she had gone to work or not.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Once slipped with disk metal cutter and it cut right to the bone, there was a gaping gash right across my index finger and the sinew strands were sticking out. There was still bone white stuff on the grinder blade. My Italian boss refused to let me seek medical attention. This was in Boksburg while doing my apprenticeship. I was still very young then and didn't fully know my rights. Went back into the workshop, wrapped my finger in insulation tape and carried on. Went to the doc after work and he had to open it all up, reconnect the severed tendon and stitch me up. I learned an important lesson that day about just how indifferent a human can be to someone else's misfortune. Good lesson to learn.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
IOL has a video in their article where the EFF demands to meet with the manager in question,

but ended up meeting with another,

E1MNcbfWQAM3G2b.width-800.jpg

RedViking

Nord of the South
In my office if you dont have a sick note or so from a registered doctor you must report for duty
That is against the law. You only require a doctors letter if more than two days sick, or more than two occasions during a specific period according to labour law, doesn't matter what your company says, they can't overwrite the law.

RedViking

Nord of the South
As horrible as this story is, what I find more disturbing is that Spur pays there staff R2 500 per month and this lady has been there for five years?!!!

A lot of us make that in a day!

Jesus! WTF! :eek:
Hence why the minimum wage is an absolute joke

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am still saying people are undermining the EFF, they are going to do exceptionally well in the municipal elections. They have a strong civil rights agenda, they are proactive on social media, they set the emotional barometer and have a strong influence on the public interest. Wherever they campaign they are followed by other political parties, taking the lead by setting the tempo.

What they are doing here is what the South African people want from their politicians. Speaking of transformation isn't enough, taking it directly to where it matters is what is important.

Simply said,

"They have agreed to all the demands except the firing of the manager. We have made it clear that if they don't fire the manager, we will fire her ourselves," Mboni said.

they make small individual cases count for big success stories.

Many didn't expect them to do good with their first IEC election.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The manager refused the ambulance.

Did she refuse the ambulance? Jacaranda reported in another tone,

EFF regional spokesperson Siya Rumbu alleges the mother of two called in sick on Sunday, but the eatery's manager refused to give her leave.

Rumbu says a gravely ill Nkebe went into work, fearing the loss of her job.

"She reported for duty at 2 o'clock that Sunday. However, her condition worsened while she was at work and she started vomiting and all that kind of thing.

"After that Donn, which is the manager, was informed by the other waitresses that her condition is worsening. A private ambulance was called and was there in 5 to 10 minutes, she was taken to hospital and later on that evening she passed on," Rumbu explains.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I am still saying people are undermining the EFF, they are going to do exceptionally well in the municipal elections. They have a strong civil rights agenda, they are proactive on social media, they set the emotional barometer and have a strong influence on the public interest. Wherever they campaign they are followed by other political parties, taking the lead by setting the tempo.

What they are doing here is what the South African people want from their politicians. Speaking of transformation isn't enough, taking it directly to where it matters is what is important.

Simply said,

they make small individual cases count for big success stories.

Many didn't expect them to do good with their first IEC election.
Yep. Mostly chaotic but visible nevertheless.

abzob

Honorary Master
Did she refuse the ambulance? Jacaranda reported in another tone,

Initially. FrankCastle was under the impression that the deceased refused the ambulance so I was correcting him. Whether the manager changed her mind or someone else got the ambulance, I don’t know.

IMG_1363.JPG

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
As horrible as this story is, what I find more disturbing is that Spur pays there staff R2 500 per month and this lady has been there for five years?!!!

A lot of us make that in a day!

Jesus! WTF! :eek:
Beggars can't be choosers Mr.