Sign up for a Capitec account with virtual card via a face scan on its banking app

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Sign up for a Capitec account with virtual card via a face scan on its banking app

Capitec has launched a new feature on its mobile banking app which makes it possible for South Africans to open an account using facial biometrics.

The bank said the solution takes only a few minutes and employs advanced technology to recognise an actual person in front of the camera.

These images are then verified against the Department of Home Affairs' database in real-time.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Capitec has launched a new feature on its mobile banking app which makes it possible for South Africans to open an account using facial biometrics.

The bank said the solution takes only a few minutes and employs advanced technology to recognise an actual person in front of the camera.

These images are then verified against the Department of Home Affairs' database in real-time.

Now if only I can unlock my enhanced Tyme Bank profile like this. It doesn't like my thumb prints.

Binary_Bark

Forging
TBH I don't see the point of the virtual card, yes it's not linked to your physical card but still. The virtual card would actually be of use if one could use it to pay at brick and mortar stores by tapping one's phone on the "tap & Go" machines, specially for those that forgot their card at home/ office

Magandroid

Expert Member
TBH I don't see the point of the virtual card, yes it's not linked to your physical card but still. The virtual card would actually be of use if one could use it to pay at brick and mortar stores by tapping one's phone on the "tap & Go" machines, specially for those that forgot their card at home/ office
Then use the scan to pay option for that. You don't even have to log into the app.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Yeah, no. It's a schlep, usually people ask you to wait until the transaction has gone through before they allow you to leave
I didn't know that. I've never used the scan to pay option. I was never really interested in using it either but then my curiosity was peeked by a documentary I saw on Youtube how in China everyone only uses scan to pay. Even going to the fruit and veg open markets, you find these barcodes all over the place. It's amazing how far ahead they are to SA.

Reactions: Yuu

Binary_Bark

Forging
I didn't know that. I've never used the scan to pay option. I was never really interested in using it either but then my curiosity was peeked by a documentary I saw on Youtube how in China everyone only uses scan to pay. Even going to the fruit and veg open markets, you find these barcodes all over the place. It's amazing how far ahead they are to SA.
Problem is the scan to pay in RSA is agonizingly slow. Once that has gotten up to speed I might start using it again.
Seriously waititing aywhere from 5-20 min for it to clear on the retailers side is just not worth it.

This is not just with Capitec but I havee experienced the same thing with my STB account.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Problem is the scan to pay in RSA is agonizingly slow. Once that has gotten up to speed I might start using it again.
Seriously waititing aywhere from 5-20 min for it to clear on the retailers side is just not worth it.

This is not just with Capitec but I havee experienced the same thing with my STB account.
Geewiz, I should really give it a go one day to see what the experience is like. That doccie made it look so quick and simple but then again, their technology is far ahead of ours.

Binary_Bark

Forging
Geewiz, I should really give it a go one day to see what the experience is like. That doccie made it look so quick and simple but then again, their technology is far ahead of ours.
It's fun when you're in a hurry and the retailer tells you to wait before you go, to make sure it cleared.

One issue is that RSA is chock and block full of dishonest people that would scan, and run away because there is not enough cash in the account and the business has to take the loss, people in China are a lot more honest because almost every little thing you do is watched & recorded

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Near instant for me at restaurants using Zapper.