Silk Road founder’s fortunes auctioned

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Hypocrisy of the highest order from the US government. It's sad day for human rights when a person can be sent to jail for life for a victimless crime.

HideInLight

Expert Member
Establishing a drug empire and creating a safe haven for criminals is not a victimless crime.

marine1

Honorary Master
Hypocrisy of the highest order from the US government. It's sad day for human rights when a person can be sent to jail for life for a victimless crime.
????
He sold illegal drugs ....There are many victims

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Ever heard of drug overdoses?
So if I went to Pick 'n Pay and sprayed a whole can of oven cleaner into my mouth and died that would be Pick 'n Pay's fault? What if you bought a steak knife from Mr Price and killed a whole bunch of people, would that be Mr Price's fault? What if I bought some Panado from Clicks and shoveled 100 paracetamol pills down my throat and died from liver failure, would that be Clicks' fault?

marine1

Honorary Master
So if I went to Pick 'n Pay and sprayed a whole can of oven cleaner into my mouth and died that would be Pick 'n Pay's fault? What if you bought a steak knife from Mr Price and killed a whole bunch of people, would that be Mr Price's fault? What if I bought some Panado from Clicks and shoveled 100 paracetamol pills down my throat and died from liver failure, would that be Clicks' fault?
Are any of those things illegal? ???
He sold illegal things that can and probably will kill you.
Riiiiiight moving along.

scudsucker

Executive Member
So if I went to...
Just don't bother to engage with marine1; his world view does not allow him to understand logic. In his mind there is his way of seeing the world; and the wrong way.

Not worth the effort trying.

F

Fudzy

In my recent experience with dealing with strangers on drugs, the one was a trouble causer in our area who is addicted to glue/solvents/spray cans (we refer to him as silver face as his face is often covered in paint) and the other was a lady freaking out after taking too many Xanor tablets. Both of these people probably go through a lot less trouble than anyone using Silk Road would, the only real difference is taxation.

EDIT: Perhaps 'dealing' was the wrong word :D encounters would have been better.

Last edited by a moderator:

marine1

Honorary Master
Just don't bother to engage with marine1; his world view does not allow him to understand logic. In his mind there is his way of seeing the world; and the wrong way.

Not worth the effort trying.
Rofl please show me the logic of not arresting him?

buyeye

Expert Member
Thread melting down because people don't like want to use common sense today?

You have a block of flats, you rent them out to drug dealers suddenly house breaks, muggings and armed robberies increase.

If I have to finish that for you then you need more than sleep.

Thor

Honorary Master
I totally agree with Marine1 here, deweyzeph your arguments just gave me s head ache.

Note: I don't agree with the excessive degree of punishment he is getting, but heck he is by NO means innocent... He's a criminal end of story.

zippy

Executive Member
Your post is proof that drugs destroy brain cells

Edwe

Expert Member
Thread melting down because people don't like want to use common sense today?

You have a block of flats, you rent them out to drug dealers suddenly house breaks, muggings and armed robberies increase.

If I have to finish that for you then you need more than sleep.
I see people have a problem with tangentialisation, so I will make a few statements, which I believe are relevant to the case being discussed, and which are based purely in logic. I welcome anyone to argue and refute these points using specific logic, and relevant facts:

1. The operator of Silk Road dealt in illegal drugs. Regardless of your stance on whether the law should change, the fact is that he was in contravention of current law, and can therefore be prosecuted accordingly.

2. The clients of Silk Road purchased and/or used illegal drugs, and are therefore also offenders, not innocent victims. Some of them possibly suffered malady and even death as a result of their drug abuse, but it was at their own hands and they are by no means innocent.

3. If anyone was forced to use drugs by a client or the founder of Silk Road, I would concede that that person was an indirect victim.

4. There is, to my knowledge, no evidence of any "block of flats.. rent(ed)... out to drug dealers suddenly house breaks, muggings and armed robberies increase" related specifically to Silk Road. The quoted comment is arguably a valid "drugs are bad" generalisation, but it is completely irrelevant to the case being discussed.

buyeye

Expert Member
I see people have a problem with tangentialisation, so I will make a few statements, which I believe are relevant to the case being discussed, and which are based purely in logic. I welcome anyone to argue and refute these points using specific logic, and relevant facts:

1. The operator of Silk Road dealt in illegal drugs. Regardless of your stance on whether the law should change, the fact is that he was in contravention of current law, and can therefore be prosecuted accordingly.

2. The clients of Silk Road purchased and/or used illegal drugs, and are therefore also offenders, not innocent victims. Some of them possibly suffered malady and even death as a result of their drug abuse, but it was at their own hands and they are by no means innocent.

3. If anyone was forced to use drugs by a client or the founder of Silk Road, I would concede that that person was an indirect victim.

4. There is, to my knowledge, no evidence of any "block of flats.. rent(ed)... out to drug dealers suddenly house breaks, muggings and armed robberies increase" related specifically to Silk Road. The quoted comment is arguably a valid "drugs are bad" generalisation, but it is completely irrelevant to the case being discussed.

It's a generalisation about what's wrong with illegal drugs, silk road dealt in illegal drugs. So the argument applies to silk road.

Logic 101.

Last edited: