Sim only deals - contract up for renewal...

shadow_man

Executive Member
I've got an expiring Telkom FreeMe contract - and since they've nerfed the free data allocations (for Video / Music) I think i'll be leaving.

I'm looking for a SIM only deal (still happy with my current iPhone) that provides:
50-100 mins (really 50 is probably fine)
5GB+ data

Any good deals - more data is obviously better!

Signal wise it looks like any carrier would do.

Thanks!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Why "smart" data?

Because hopefully people that uses it use that data to get some common sense and educational material into their head and they get smarter? :ROFL:

Seriously, it is just a package name.

I did make a mistake though. The 6GIG and the ones after that is called Red More Data, not Smart Data. Guess I need to get more of the Smart data so I too can become smarter and not make mistakes like that ey?

dlevine

I've got an expiring Telkom FreeMe contract - and since they've nerfed the free data allocations (for Video / Music) I think i'll be leaving.

I'm looking for a SIM only deal (still happy with my current iPhone) that provides:
50-100 mins (really 50 is probably fine)
5GB+ data

Any good deals - more data is obviously better!

Signal wise it looks like any carrier would do.

Thanks!
Mtn has a sim only deal for R299 pm for 50gb of data a month. Then just buy some airtime to add to it. I just took it up for 2 years. Great value.

shadow_man

Executive Member
Mtn has a sim only deal for R299 pm for 50gb of data a month. Then just buy some airtime to add to it. I just took it up for 2 years. Great value.

Thanks - for anyone wanting a direct link to this:

https://www.mtn.co.za/madeforme/data --> View more plans

My MTNChoice 20GB
R299pm
80GB per month

Data Split
50GB Anytime
30GB Night express

@dlevine - how does one go about adding airtime (rand or is it minutes) to this? Do you need to take it when you "build" the contract or can it be done on an adhoc basis? Can you please post some pricing for the voice bundles that are available to you on this?

dlevine

My MTNChoice 20GB
R299pm
80GB per month

Data Split
50GB Anytime
30GB Night express

@dlevine - how does one go about adding airtime (rand or is it minutes) to this? Do you need to take it when you "build" the contract or can it be done on an adhoc basis? Can you please post some pricing for the voice bundles that are available to you on this?
Hi

You can buy minutes or rands from the app whenever you want. I do it from my FNB banking app at adhoc times. So monthly bill is always R299.00. Airtime etc comes off credit card/current account when i buy minutes or rands from the FNB App. Its really a brilliant contract, no brainer for me. Never have to worry about data when out of the house wifi

dlevine

Hi

You can buy minutes or rands from the app whenever you want. I do it from my FNB banking app at adhoc times. So monthly bill is always R299.00. Airtime etc comes off credit card/current account when i buy minutes or rands from the FNB App. Its really a brilliant contract, no brainer for me. Never have to worry about data when out of the house wifi

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200915-145851_MTN.jpg
    Screenshot_20200915-145851_MTN.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 45

lucifir

Expert Member
had a similar issue with telkom, as their new packages are a downgrade.
I just stayed on the same package, and they stopped charging me for the device and I still get my previous contract allocation of data and minutes :)

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
@dlevine

MTN and you are paying R570 for 500mins? You are being "scammed" out of 15c per minute.

@jsheed_sa
I have all my sim cards on Afrihost. You end up getting 1Gb free data every month so that helps towards the cost. The airtime is as per MTN. I have a sim card on my gate motor and but R5 15SMS package every month. The free 1Gb data I then transfer to my number. So 1Gb costs you R5/pm.

shadow_man

Executive Member
\
@dlevine

MTN and you are paying R570 for 500mins? You are being "scammed" out of 15c per minute.

@jsheed_sa
I have all my sim cards on Afrihost. You end up getting 1Gb free data every month so that helps towards the cost. The airtime is as per MTN. I have a sim card on my gate motor and but R5 15SMS package every month. The free 1Gb data I then transfer to my number. So 1Gb costs you R5/pm.

Thanks but 1GB is just too little for me and iPhone isn't dual sim so I can't rock 2 networks - 1 for cheap data / 1 for cheap calls...

ebendl

Expert Member
I'm in the same boat -- MTN contract that gave me 20GB of data every month for free expired (and that 20GB shot up to R600 or R700!)

My wife has the My MTNChoice 10GB package and we add 100 mins for R135 (yes it is expensive compared to others, but the data is cheap which makes up for it). Was looking at doing something similar as I'm quite used to having many GBs available on my phone (even though I'm mostly at home these days).

argh

Cell C prepaid phone sim. Can load on the sim: prepaid Gb valid for 1 year, eg 200Gb R1999, 100Gb R1599, 50Gb R1099. Can load on the sim Cell C prepaid anynet calling plans valid for 30 days, eg R200 for 15 hours of calls (900 minutes), R90 for 4 hours of calls (240 minutes), etc.

shadow_man

Executive Member

My MTNChoice 20GB
R299pm
80GB per month

Data Split
50GB Anytime
30GB Night express

For reference - you can't port an existing number to these contracts. They refuse to do so. I ended up declining the offer as a result as I don't have a dual sim handset.