Sim racing beginners setup

nadeem_k

Hi

Ive been thinking of getting into sim racing.
What’s the best entry level steering setup that won’t cost an arm and a leg? Or rather what’s the cheapest decent setup?

Then how do you practically set up the steering wheel without spending a whole lot on a racing rig? My ps4 is in the tv room so I usually sit on a coach and thus don’t have a easy accessible table to mount the wheel on. I’m hoping someone has cool ideas that doesn’t require too much building

HumanShield

Logitec G29 is quite decent for a beginner setup. Do you actually want to build a rig or are you content with mounting your steering on your coffee table for the time being? Suppose you could just build a small table big enough to mount the steering with the pedals below. Kind of like a rectangle.

nadeem_k

How does the thrustmaster t80 compare? Also how would you hook up the steering to the coffee table and still be able to use the foot paddles?

HumanShield

Don't know much about the thrustmaster to comment about it.

I suppose the pedals would go under the table at your feet with the steering on the top.
Kind of what this guy did

Solitude

Executive Member
Hi

Ive been thinking of getting into sim racing.
What’s the best entry level steering setup that won’t cost an arm and a leg? Or rather what’s the cheapest decent setup?

Then how do you practically set up the steering wheel without spending a whole lot on a racing rig? My ps4 is in the tv room so I usually sit on a coach and thus don’t have a easy accessible table to mount the wheel on. I’m hoping someone has cool ideas that doesn’t require too much building

I make use of a GT Omega Wheelstand with a Logitech G920. There's also some cheap rigs out there like these: http://www.gforcesim.com/index.php or more expensive ones if you want links. For the ps4 the Logitech G29 is perfectly fine.

If you would like to join us, send me a pm. We do F1 2019 league races, Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa Competizione. All on pc though.

nadeem_k

Thanks, so it seems like the min investment for a wheel and stand is around R10k?

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
There are frequently Logitech G27 / G29's being sold on carbonite. Maybe keep an eye out for them

zoozi

Expert Member
If you're willing to go 2nd hand (bit of a gamble, sometimes the wheels/pedals don't hold up over time), there's also the discontinued Logitech G27 (includes 3-pedals and shifter, 2nd hand around R2500-3500?) and discontinued Logitech Driving Force GT (good value for money at only R700-R1200 2nd hand? It was R1400 when new), nearly as accurate as G27 but only single-motor, not as strong, the plastic pedals are flimsy rubbish though). Sucks with the exchange rate, these wheels used to be a lot cheaper.

ShaneE

If you're willing to go 2nd hand (bit of a gamble, sometimes the wheels/pedals don't hold up over time), there's also the discontinued Logitech G27 (includes 3-pedals and shifter, 2nd hand around R2500-3500?) and discontinued Logitech Driving Force GT (good value for money at only R700-R1200 2nd hand? It was R1400 when new), nearly as accurate as G27 but only single-motor, not as strong, the plastic pedals are flimsy rubbish though). Sucks with the exchange rate, these wheels used to be a lot cheaper.

Around week 2/3 of lockdown I managed to get a G920 + Shifter for R4k - Used, but not really, still had the stickers over the logo's. At that stage, it was just over R4k for the wheel at Incredible Connection - that's now R8k :X3: Not the best example, but they're up about 50% everywhere else, exchange rate, and worldwide demand for them has skyrocketed

Solitude

Executive Member
Around week 2/3 of lockdown I managed to get a G920 + Shifter for R4k - Used, but not really, still had the stickers over the logo's. At that stage, it was just over R4k for the wheel at Incredible Connection - that's now R8k :X3: Not the best example, but they're up about 50% everywhere else, exchange rate, and worldwide demand for them has skyrocketed

It's crazy how prices skyrocketed. I paid R 4539.00 for mine at Takealot about a year ago.

Dust52

R8k for a G29/G920 is daylight robbery. All the internals of that wheel are the same as what they were on the G25, hell at least that came with a shifter as part of the package and not as a paid for extra. Even the pedals are a carbon copy - internals wise - of the G25.

Sadly the most popular and most accessible decent entry level wheel is now costing ridiculous money.

Japster

Just wanted to know, would a person still be able to use a Logitech Driving Force GT today or is it too old for sim racing? I have one laying around and would like to give something like Asetto Corsa a go with it.

Solitude

Executive Member
Just wanted to know, would a person still be able to use a Logitech Driving Force GT today or is it too old for sim racing? I have one laying around and would like to give something like Asetto Corsa a go with it.

From a quick google it looks like it may be fine. Just make sure you install the latest drivers.

Dust52

If you're running on Windows 10, you may find that Windows and the drivers don't play too well together. I dusted off my G25 when lockdown started and battled for half a day to get it to work.

You can't use the latest Logitech G Hub interface but the old Wingman software and the old drivers related to it. The new drivers won't be recognised in Windows. Shout if you need more help.

Japster

If you're running on Windows 10, you may find that Windows and the drivers don't play too well together. I dusted off my G25 when lockdown started and battled for half a day to get it to work.

You can't use the latest Logitech G Hub interface but the old Wingman software and the old drivers related to it. The new drivers won't be recognised in Windows. Shout if you need more help.
So far I have no idea whether it is working or not. I do not see the wheel in device manager, even as an unrecognized device. The wheel powers on, does the whole spin thing, I cannot get win 10 drivers so I do not know where to go from here. Never used the wheel before, so do not have any software to go with it.

Japster

Downloaded the old logitech Gaming 5.10 software and I got the steering wheel calibrated, but still don't know if it works. Do not want to go and buy Assetto Corsa and then the wheel does not work.

Dust52

Downloaded the old logitech Gaming 5.10 software and I got the steering wheel calibrated, but still don't know if it works. Do not want to go and buy Assetto Corsa and then the wheel does not work.

If it shows up under device manager and it shows the full rotation of the wheel, then it should be good to go in a game.
If downloading isn't a problem you can run a trial of netKar to make sure it works in a game otherwise LFS is an option too

Last edited:

Japster

Thanks for the links and the info, the wheel is working fine, I will just get the firgirl version and test that as well