Simone Biles addresses her critics after stepping back from Olympic Games

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Ah, the joys of being semi retired and a farmer in winter. The biggest job this week was surveying how many irrigation ball cocks cracked due to icing for replacement before spring.
May seem like a silly idea, but have you ever considered removing the ball cocks in autumn and replacing them in spring? Would have to make a bunch of corks to block the pipes of course, or ants will move in.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Not the same. If Lewis quits a bad race, he has a week or 2 to prepare for the next. Athletes at the olympics have hours before their next event. They still have to cool off, train, warm up , eat and rest during those hours.
Well nikki lauda bailed out of the tokyo grand prix in 1976 because the conditions were too bad, thus giving the 1976 world championship title to james hunt. Nobody called him a .. well anything really.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
No cannot code after a long drive. Even just 3 hours on the road I need a time out FYI out roads are a constant worry about getting flattened by a truck or taxi so yeah. Good point. I was being mostly facetious lol!
At varsity I sat down and coded on a prac i had to hand in... while pissed as a newt. The following day i had to re-do it all, except one routine which was to put it mildly...brilliant. An idea I would never have had without brandy.
but the percentages are not on your side when you do that.

nightjar

Executive Member
I had never heard of her before the OP so I don't know if she is a normal female or a fake female.
Assuming that she is a normal female, she is/was lucky that she did not have to compete against a male who failed to cut it in male competitions and so called himself a female so he could abuse female sport.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
May seem like a silly idea, but have you ever considered removing the ball cocks in autumn and replacing them in spring? Would have to make a bunch of corks to block the pipes of course, or ants will move in.

Thanks. I usually shut the main valves at the reservoirs and just leave all the ball cocks open instead of shut so the bit of ice expansion is along their passage. I was watering into June as well due to the drought as there has been enough wind to keep the reservoirs full. If the ball cocks are shut the ice expansion is crosswise against the walls and cracks them. This winter was exceptionally cold and some cocks cracked despite being open. The cocks are the plastic agricultural type and quite cheap at the farmers co-op from R8 - R15 dependent on size.

But your suggestion will definitely be implemented next year.

/dev/null

Expert Member
Quitters gonna quit. I wonder if she would've quit had it been her first Olympics. Anyway, hopefully she competes in the beam final on Tuesday, the only event she hasn't given up on yet. Although beam seems much more dangerous if you have "twisties" so it would make sense if she quits that one as well.

Gyre

Expert Member
Cuts both ways thought doesn't it?

How much effort would have into defending/canonising her if she was not part of the demographic she is?

Neither side of the argument are innocent here.

Her race is irrelevant, the initial accusation was that this generation is made up of "snowflakes" and that mental health issues aren't real health issues. It will be interesting to see how people if people hold the same stance against someone in their own same demographic whom they relate to in a sport they actually enjoy(unlike "spinning" as other people like to call it.)

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Thanks. I usually shut the main valves at the reservoirs and just leave all the ball cocks open instead of shut so the bit of ice expansion is along their passage. I was watering into June as well due to the drought as there has been enough wind to keep the reservoirs full. If the ball cocks are shut the ice expansion is crosswise against the walls and cracks them. This winter was exceptionally cold and some cocks cracked despite being open. The cocks are the plastic agricultural type and quite cheap at the farmers co-op from R8 - R15 dependent on size.

But your suggestion will definitely be implemented next year.
I know the type (and thus the problem) I use some of them in my garden irrigation. I can't claim the idea tho because it doesn't freeze here. A cousin of mine who was a farmer used to do this. He also left the primer caps off the pumps as well (with a bit of rag in the hole). Very careful man, not afraid of work. It was a huge pain in the @rse to do.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Her race is irrelevant, the initial accusation was that this generation is made up of "snowflakes" and that mental health issues aren't real health issues. It will be interesting to see how people if people hold the same stance against someone in their own same demographic whom they relate to in a sport they actually enjoy(unlike "spinning" as other people like to call it.)
Well they can’t even admit they’d hold the same stance against themselves lol

R13...

Honorary Master
Well, there was Marcus Trescothick all those years ago. And he seemed to have had actual mental health issues. And here is Piers then being aware of mental health issues in sport. Damned hypocrite.

Cray

Honorary Master

How much effort would have into defending/canonising her if she was not part of the demographic she is?
She is one on the most accomplished gymnasts in the world, if some d*ckhead hadn't called her a sociopath I doubt this story would have gone on for more than a day or two...

As I said a few posts ago the constant need to politicize events is tiresome...and it's clear that neither side of this argument are innocent of that.
Which side started the slurs by calling her a disgrace to her country? But yeah, it's the fault of both sides... :X3:

Unhappy438

Honorary Master

As I said a few posts ago the constant need to politicize events is tiresome...and it's clear that neither side of this argument are innocent of that.

Except you're ignoring which came first.

JangoFett

A snowflake is someone who expects special treatment and accomodation on account of their mental health issues. We got to witness this in spades, Simone was instantly turned into a snowflake mascot. Stop kidding yourself.

Cray

Honorary Master
A snowflake is someone who expects special treatment and accomodation on account of their mental health issues.. We got to witness this in spades, Simone was instantly turned into a snowflake mascot. Stop kidding yourself.

What special treatment and/or accommodation did she get/expect?