Simone Biles addresses her critics after stepping back from Olympic Games

JangoFett

Let's just assume I don't have the patience for rhetorical questions and you just make your point like a normal person?
Ok. You didn't read what I said carefully enough, your initial question (which frankly was pretty ****ing rhetorical), has no bearing on my point, so I don't feel inclined to answer it.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Nah... I feel like that if I just do a cartwheel.
No criticism from me. It's her own business in any case.
Did this really go to 11 pages?
Wow.

JangoFett

Certain mental health issues require special treatment and accommodation whether the sufferer expects them or not. Failure to do so can result in real consequences for both the sufferer and for those around them. Often cases the special treatment required is that the person is given the opportunity to seek psychiatric or psychological assistance.
I never said otherwise. But having a mental health issue is a tragedy, not a cause for celebration.

Gyre

Expert Member
A snowflake is someone who expects special treatment and accomodation on account of their mental health issues. We got to witness this in spades, Simone was instantly turned into a snowflake mascot. Stop kidding yourself.

Well if she is a snowflake after all her success, challenges she has overcome and for the admiration she gets, then maybe being a snowflake isn't such a bad thing any more :p

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Well if she is a snowflake after all her success, challenges she has overcome and for the admiration she gets, then maybe being a snowflake isn't such a bad thing any more :p
In a world where issues relating to mental health are often stigmatised or made fun of, it's no surprise that some people would see her decision to publicly announce her reasons for pulling out as heroic.

JangoFett

Nope it wasn't, I am genuinely baffled how her actions or people defending her against being a disgrace amounts to anything like snowflakery?
Why did you like post #117, then? The sentiments should have been just as baffling to you.

JangoFett

In the short term. In the long term society as a whole suffers.

Cray

Honorary Master
Why did you like post #117, then? The sentiments should have been just as baffling to you.
That's a little bit stalkerish... :unsure: If her withdrawal due to mental health reasons had happened without comment or people trying to vilify her actions then there would be nothing further to say.. The problem is a number of people decided to condemn her actions as being disgraceful. In that light, I think it is understandable some people overcompensated by calling her heroic for pulling out. I don't agree that the action itself is worthy of applause, just that she has every right to make it without people slagging her off for it.

JangoFett

That's a little bit stalkerish... :unsure: If her withdrawal due to mental health reasons had happened without comment or people trying to vilify her actions then there would be nothing further to say.. The problem is a number of people decided to condemn her actions as being disgraceful. In that light, I think it is understandable some people overcompensated by calling her heroic for pulling out. I don't agree that the action itself is worthy of applause, just that she has every right to make it without people slagging her off for it.
TIL paying attention to what people say in a thread is "stalkerish".

Anyway, thanks for admitting that people overcompensated. :thumbsup:

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
She trained long and hard for the Olympics, and she knew what kind of flak she would get if she quit. And she still did it. Pro athletes work incredibly hard, and she had to give up on that for now. Her next chance at the Olympics is when she's 28, which is pretty old for a gymnast.
It does indeed take courage to quit. It would have been much easier to take a chance, perform and hope everything will be fine.

People handle stress, anxiety and depression differently.

It could not have been an easy decision and I definitely don't judge her for it. I'll judge her the day that I know what it's like to compete in gymnastics at a high level. When I've worked hard for something my whole life and then find out it would be a serious risk if I don't stop doing it right then and there, with the whole world watching and judging. I
I read somewhere she said that at times she couldn't track where the ground was. That is not safe. I think we all understand that the Olympics is entertainment to a degree but we must also see that she is there to compete, that's what makes it entertaining.

Were she to pick up an injury (and let's face it: doing what she does that could easily mean a snapped neck) that would be bad for her and for the sport.

Imagine trying this when you know you are distracted and could literally kill yourself with a misstep: