Simone Biles addresses her critics after stepping back from Olympic Games

/dev/null

Expert Member
She trained long and hard for the Olympics, and she knew what kind of flak she would get if she quit. And she still did it.
It does indeed take courage to quit. It would have been much easier to take a chance, perform and hope everything will be fine.

People handle stress, anxiety and depression differently.

It could not have been an easy decision and I definitely don't judge her for it.
She quit after making one bad jump that earned her the lowest score of her career. Otherwise she was doing just fine and even finished top of the qualifying table. She quit because of one jump.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Who will remember you? :p

Please hit us up with your wikipedia page.
As long as my kiddos remember me then I'm happy. Don't care for the "world" to remember me.

And yea I don't know who Simone is and don't care. All the "stars" have a limited shelf life

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
What's more interesting is the backlash from the American media and society. It's weird to see how much of the American Identity is tied to Olympics, seems very fascisy if you ask me.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Served on military operations for a 10 year period, worked in dodgy places where a ransom was on my head, worked on dangerous oil exploration and production platforms, worked at sea and several others such as high voltage systems, high pressure systems, in areas with Hydrogen Sulfide gas and at heights with rope access.

You decide whether my jobs could have killed me.
Who paid the ransom?

Paul Kemp

Expert Member
Wow, some of the comments in this thread are unbelievable.
I’ll bet that everyone with a negative comment has never even followed gymnastics. She’ll be remembered as long as artistic gymnastics is a sport because of all the moves she has named after her.
Besides that, she’s a solid personality that every artistic gymnast holds in high regard.

Gyre

Expert Member
Neither will Simone 20 years from now...

Tell me who won the 2000 Olympics gymnastics without googling?

Us armchair critics don't get enough recognition dammit, all this potential to do things better than everybody else and it's wasted

alanB

I feel sympathy for her as a person, but am surprised at how she is being being glorified in the media?

Giving up, without an apparently good reason, is not something which I personally think is admirable.

Being selected by your country to represent them, having people invest time and effort into training etc and then giving up and dropping out when you get there. That is not something to admire.

One can feel sorry for her, but that's all.

Compare that to

azbob

Honorary Master
I feel sympathy for her as a person, but am surprised at how she is being being glorified in the media?

Giving up, without an apparently good reason, is not something which I personally think is admirable.

Being selected by your country to represent them, having people invest time and effort into training etc and then giving up and dropping out when you get there. That is not something to admire.

One can feel sorry for her, but that's all.

Compare that to

Without good reason? Seems a lot of people aren’t aware how dangerous an impaired mental state can be in gymnastics.

JangoFett

Yup, this is the part that's royally pissing me off about this story. Insofar as I want to take shots at Simone, it's not her I'm interested in, it's her sycophants I wish to poke in the eye.