Simone Biles addresses her critics after stepping back from Olympic Games

Gyre

Expert Member
Yup, this is the part that's royally pissing me off about this story. Insofar as I want to take shots at Simone, it's not her I'm interested in, it's her sycophants I wish to poke in the eye.

So how did a person stepping out because of mental health issues inconvenience or your lifestyle you today? :p

Before Elena Mukhina broke her neck doing the Thomas salto, a skill so dangerous it is now banned, she told her coach she was going to break her neck doing the Thomas salto.

But her coach responded dismissively that people like her did not break their necks, and Mukhina, a 20-year-old Soviet gymnast, didn’t feel she could refuse. Besides, she recalled later in an interview with the Russian magazine Ogoniok, she knew what the public expected of her as the anointed star of the coming Olympic Games.

“I really wanted to justify the trust put in me and be a heroine,” she said.

Have you ever compensated people or assisted them in anyway that got hurt for your own amusement?

JangoFett

So how did a person stepping out because of mental health issues inconvenience or your lifestyle you today? :p
It didn't. I just said so.

Have you ever compensated people or assisted them in anyway that got hurt for your own amusement?
Are you trolling?

She's entitled to step out if she likes. She choked, that's life. But the people praising her for stepping out like it's some kind of stunning and brave act to emulate can DIAF. Failure is not admirable. If she comes back from this in 2024 and wins golds again, THAT might be considered admirable.

Gyre

Expert Member
It didn't. I just said so.

Are you trolling?

She's entitled to step out if she likes. She choked, that's life. But the people praising her for stepping out like it's some kind of stunning and brave act to emulate can DIAF. Failure is not admirable. If she comes back from this in 2024 and wins golds again, THAT might be considered admirable.

People are not praising her for stepping out, people are praising her for stepping out despite what all the cry babies are whining about. There have been enough victims forced to compete when they weren't able to.

Wait until 2024.

alanB

And put it this way, HAD Simone died or gotten terribly injured during the performance, what would have the idiots responses been then?

"Nobody forced her." :p

Not that I'm suggesting that Olympic events should be inherently dangerous, but gymnastics, like many sports has it's inherent risks, all gymnasts know and accept that - so using the "risks" as an excuse just means she was not adequately prepared or trained, or just lost her nerve at the key point.

While the USA is heading that direction, it is not yet a communist state where people have no choice or control over their own lives. She chose to be a gymnast, and as you say no-one was forcing her - as evidenced by her ability to drop out.

If she wasn't capable of doing what she was selected for, and trained for, what was she doing there in the first place?

As I said, I feel sorry for her, I don't know the full details of why she felt she had to drop out. It's a sad story. But it's not a triumph.

Sympathy is not the same thing as admiration.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
And put it this way, HAD Simone died or gotten terribly injured during the performance, what would have the idiots responses been then?

"Nobody forced her." :p

You're suggesting she did gymnastics for free and to amuse the spectators? The Olympics is just a genetic freak show.

Gyre

Expert Member
Not that I'm suggesting that Olympic events should be inherently dangerous, but gymnastics, like many sports has it's inherent risks, all gymnasts know and accept that - so using the "risks" as an excuse just means she was not adequately prepared or trained, or just lost her nerve at the key point.

While the USA is heading that direction, it is not yet a communist state where people have no choice or control over their own lives. She chose to be a gymnast, and as you say no-one was forcing her - as evidenced by her ability to drop out.

If she wasn't capable of doing what she was selected for, and trained for, what was she doing there in the first place?

As I said, I feel sorry for her, I don't know the full details of why she felt she had to drop out. It's a sad story. But it's not a triumph.

Sympathy is not the same thing as admiration.

Nodody admires her quitting, they admire who she is, what she has accomplished and sympathise that she had mental health issues. This has just become a proxy battle for people over the term snowflake, whereas none of us are really qualified to do gymnastics, make criticisms or have a vested interest in this event outside of the snowflake incident.

It is just sheer lunacy, imagine if the left were making a big crying session about someone quitting, the roles would be completely reversed because the people criticising her DON'T care about mental health, her, the sport OR america - they just care about being trolls

sjm

I feel sympathy for her as a person, but am surprised at how she is being being glorified in the media?

Giving up, without an apparently good reason, is not something which I personally think is admirable.

Being selected by your country to represent them, having people invest time and effort into training etc and then giving up and dropping out when you get there. That is not something to admire.

One can feel sorry for her, but that's all.

Compare that to

Turns out Kerri Strug
  • Didn't actually need to do the second jump for her team to win gold, they'd have won it regardless
  • Was pressured into doing it (mostly by her coach), she didn't want to. She was in sufficient pain that she wanted to pull out.
  • Never competed again after that.
She'd have been a lot better off just refusing to do the jump. I think it's to be celebrated that the situation is now such that an athlete, faced with similar pressures can feel confident enough to pull out and not risk further damage to themselves.

I don't think Kerri's story is quite the triumph story you're painting it out to be.

Gyre

Expert Member

Turns out Kerri Strug
  • Didn't actually need to do the second jump for her team to win gold, they'd have won it regardless
  • Was pressured into doing it (mostly by her coach), she didn't want to. She was in sufficient pain that she wanted to pull out.
  • Never competed again after that.
She'd have been a lot better off just refusing to do the jump. I think it's to be celebrated that the situation is now such that an athlete, faced with similar pressures can feel confident enough to pull out and not risk further damage to themselves.

I don't think Kerri's story is quite the triumph story you're painting it out to be.

And Kerri Strug has actually come out in support of Simone, saying what Simone did was the right thing

sjm

Watched 75% of this and deeply regretted the waste of my time. He's couching his personal opinions in phrases such as "I wonder if ..." and "maybe ..." to try and drive a narrative that Biles has been using Ritalin for performance enhancement and it's ban in Japan is the cause of her withdrawal. If he has any proof he should bring it out, if not then he should just say "here's my theory, which I've pulled out of my ***. I think she's using Ritalin for performance enhancement & its ban in Japan threw her off".

He's trying to give his random guesses a veneer of plausibility by how he's framing the video.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Watched 75% of this and deeply regretted the waste of my time. He's couching his personal opinions in phrases such as "I wonder if ..." and "maybe ..." to try and drive a narrative that Biles has been using Ritalin for performance enhancement and it's ban in Japan is the cause of her withdrawal. If he has any proof he should bring it out, if not then he should just say "here's my theory, which I've pulled out of my ***. I think she's using Ritalin for performance enhancement & its ban in Japan threw her off".

He's trying to give his random guesses a veneer of plausibility by how he's framing the video.

The reason I don't watch YouTube videos for a viewpoint. You can find a YouTube video for any argument. And YT videos seem to have replaced many years of university learning with just a few video sessions.

Cray

Honorary Master
This is what we celebrate. Not quitters who have one bad day at the office.

Gotta love the keyboard warriors calling one of the most accomplished gymnasts in the sport a quitter...

She stepped aside to give her team a better chance at medalling, or would you rather she stayed in and totally tanked her team's chances of getting a decent finish?