Simone Biles addresses her critics after stepping back from Olympic Games

Gyre

Expert Member
This is what we celebrate. Not quitters who have one bad day at the office.

There is a difference between dragging yourself across a finish line and hurtling yourself high speed through the air where you can land on your neck. Not that there is anything wrong if someone cannot cross a finish line either, everyone has their limits.

JangoFett

There is a difference between dragging yourself across a finish line and hurtling yourself high speed through the air where you can land on your neck. Not that there is anything wrong if someone cannot cross a finish line either, everyone has their limits.
No one's suggesting she should have injured herself. Only that her pulling out of the competition is not a cause for celebration. The fact that you and others keep conflating these two separate things suggests that you actually do want to celebrate it but can't admit it openly...
Nodody admires her quitting, they admire who she is, what she has accomplished and sympathise that she had mental health issues.
:unsure:

Cray

Honorary Master
No one's suggesting she should have injured herself. Only that her pulling out of the competition is not a cause for celebration.
I don't think it's a cause for celebration, but an athlete valuing their own welfare is something to be admired....

I think none of this would have happened if village idiots like Charlie Kirk hadn't called her a disgrace for pulling out...

JangoFett

I don't think it's a cause for celebration, but an athlete valuing their own welfare is something to be admired....
Because...?

I think none of this would have happened if village idiots like Charlie Kirk hadn't called her a disgrace for pulling out...
"Charlie Kirk made me do it", that's really what you wanna lead with? :giggle:

JangoFett

Semi-tangent, but, who's winning the...

tenor.gif

Opression olympics?

cerebus

Honorary Master
No one's suggesting she should have injured herself. Only that her pulling out of the competition is not a cause for celebration. The fact that you and others keep conflating these two separate things suggests that you actually do want to celebrate it but can't admit it openly...

:unsure:

We don't mind that she quit, we just want you to crucify her for it the same as we're doing.

Cray

Honorary Master
Because...?
Do you value your own welfare, or do you think that meaningless medal tallies are somehow more important than someone's personal well being?
"Charlie Kirk made me do it", that's really what you wanna lead with? :giggle:
People talking **** about the best gymnast in the world provokes a reaction, and you are somehow surprised by this?

JangoFett

Do you value your own welfare, or do you think that meaningless medal tallies are somehow more important than someone's personal well being?
Do you laud everyone who puts their own welfare before all other concerns?

Donald-Trump.jpg

Methinks not. :ROFL:

People talking **** about the best gymnast in the world provokes a reaction, and you are somehow surprised by this?
You could... you know... talk **** about Charlie Kirk instead of trying to sing Simone's praises for coming apart at the seams. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JangoFett

If I don't compete I can't be beaten
black-thinking-guy.jpg

No doubt already has a book and movie deal to share her brave tale of how she got all the way to the olympics and then didn't do anything :giggle:
Well, to be fair... Maybe guys should get medals for pulling out early? :unsure:

Women need not apply, of course. :sneaky:

Cray

Honorary Master
Do you laud everyone who puts their own welfare before all other concerns?

Donald-Trump.jpg

Methinks not. :ROFL:
What?
You could... you know... talk **** about Charlie Kirk instead of trying to sing Simone's praises for coming apart at the seams. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They did... And is singing the praises of an amazing athlete really that offensive to you?

JangoFett

You just lauded Simone for putting her own welfare above all other concerns. This is typically known as egocentrism, and is taken to be the opposite of altruism. So, is it now OrangeManGood?

They did... And is singing the praises of an amazing athlete really that offensive to you?
Singing her praises for pulling out is stupid. Her other accomplishments in no way detracts from the fact that she pulled out.

Cray

Honorary Master
You just lauded Simone for putting her own welfare above all other concerns.

Not all other concerns, just that she wasn't at her best and she allowed an athlete in better form to take place... Please list the serious and terrible consequences that the US had to suffer for her decision to withdraw?

The team medalled silver, if she had stayed in the team while performing at les than her best would they have even medalled at all?
Singing her praises for pulling out is stupid. Her other accomplishments in no way detracts from the fact that she pulled out.
Okay Xarog.

JangoFett

Not all other concerns, just that she wasn't at her best and she allowed an athlete in better form to take place... Please list the serious and terrible consequences that the US had to suffer for her decision to withdraw?
Please show where I ever said a disparaging thing about her for pulling out.

The team medalled silver, if she had stayed in the team while performing at les than her best would they have even medalled at all?
So, she was actually thinking of the team and the medals, not herself? How quickly your tune changes... :ROFL:

Cray

Honorary Master
Please show where I ever said a disparaging thing about her for pulling out.
You said she put her own health above all other concerns, please list these concerns are so worried about...

So, she was actually thinking of the team, not herself? How quickly your tune changes... :ROFL:
Maybe it was both, I know it's hard for you to grasp but am sure you can get there if you reach deep..

/dev/null

Expert Member
Gotta love the keyboard warriors calling one of the most accomplished gymnasts in the sport a quitter...

She stepped aside to give her team a better chance at medalling, or would you rather she stayed in and totally tanked her team's chances of getting a decent finish?
That reason would be plausible had she not given up on the individual event as well. Instead she qualified top of the table for individual event final, then she quit and watched the final from the grandstands.

JangoFett

You said she put her own health above all other concerns, please list these concerns are so worried about...
That's what YOU said. :rolleyes:

Because...?

Maybe it was both, I know it's hard for you to grasp but am sure you can get there if you reach deep..
You said the medals were meaningless, bub.