Simone Biles addresses her critics after stepping back from Olympic Games

Gyre

Expert Member
Then she should have stay at home. Why make a trip to the Olympics if you are not interested to compete and show you are the best?

Because sometimes, just sometimes, people find out that there is a problem when they've already started something - there are a reasons people leave jobs, get divorces, chicken out of adventures, don't sleep with those prozzies, etc.

This is common sense, why are we discussing this? There is a reaso nthey bring subs along for this very reason, even rugby has subs.

/dev/null

Expert Member
How does one bail out when one becomes disorientated in mid air?
She was able to bail out according to the commentators. They state beforehand what kind of jump they will make and the commentators saw that she opted to do only half of the somersault that were intended for that routine, hence the lowest score of her career indicating that she did not complete the routine, instead she bailed out.

JangoFett

She was able to bail out according to the commentators. They state beforehand what kind of jump they will make and the commentators saw that she opted to do only half of the somersault that where intended for that routine, hence the lowest score of here career indicating that she did not complete the routine, instead she bailed out.
Yes, the fact that she landed on her feet was luck. It wasn't controlled.

Gyre

Expert Member
Have you read the comments that she was at the top of her performance until the horrible vault routine? Why quit everything because of one bad jump? Jump again then maybe quit if the second jump is also bad.

Why don't you jump off your roof an come give us feedback on how it went? Since you are an expert on speed, distance, correct form and landing safely? :p

/dev/null

Expert Member
Why don't you jump off your roof an come give us feedback on how it went? Since you are an expert on speed, distance, correct form and landing safely? :p
Hahahaha, I'm not trained in doing such somersaults so I definitely wouldn't try to compete. But when I see trained people who give up and decide to not compete any further in something they are trained in just because of a once off bad performance, then I will come to the internet and call them quitters.

Cray

Honorary Master
Hahahaha, I'm not trained in doing such somersaults so I definitely wouldn't try to compete. But when I see trained people who give up and decide to not compete any further in something they are trained in just because of a once off bad performance, then will come to the internet and call them quitters.
Can you list your experience in elite competition such that you feel qualified to throw shade at elite athletes?

Last edited:

JangoFett

Hahahaha, I'm not trained in doing such somersaults so I definitely wouldn't try to compete. But when I see trained people who give up and decide to not compete any further in something they are trained in just because of a once off bad performance, then will come to the internet and call them quitters.
Not that I have an issue with you calling her a quitter, but you're failing to appreciate that the disorientation is lasting. It just takes as little as one mistake to completely throw you off your game, to the point where you have to start with the basics in order to work your way back to where you were. The more practiced you become in something, the less conscious/more automatic your actions are, and the mistake basically blows the automatic routine to hell and suddenly the whole process is shunted into full consciousness. If you were to place electrodes on someone's skull during such an event, you'd literally see that the way the person's brain fires would be completely changed just by *1* mistake as the brain starts trying to figure out where the hell it messed up. There's nothing anyone can do about this once it's happened except to go back to the drawing board.

It happens to olympic gymnasts, it happens to professional piano players, and it happens to gamers. It's a neurological process not under anyone's conscious control.

/dev/null

Expert Member
Not that I have an issue with you calling her a quitter, but you're failing to appreciate that the disorientation is lasting. It just takes as little as one mistake to completely throw you off your game, to the point where you have to start with the basics in order to work your way back to where you were. The more practiced you become in something, the less conscious/more automatic your actions are, and the mistake basically blows the automatic routine to hell and suddenly the whole process is shunted into full consciousness. If you were to place electrodes on someone's skull during such an event, you'd literally see that the way the person's brain fires would be completely changed just by *1* mistake as the brain starts trying to figure out where the hell it messed up. There's nothing anyone can do about this once it's happened except to go back to the drawing board.

It happens to olympic gymnasts, it happens to professional piano players, and it happens to gamers. It's a neurological process not under anyone's conscious control.
Well, then everyone should be a quitter I guess. Let's normalise quitting. :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

sjm

She's a professional at that sport, so I would expect her to know how to bail out when the routine doesn't go as planned.

That's exactly what she did. Add a professional she knew how to bail out (by not attempting it) but you seem to have an issue with this. She made a professional judgement call to not continue, what's so difficult to understand about that?

/dev/null

Expert Member
That's exactly what she did. Add a professional she knew how to bail out (by not attempting it) but you seem to have an issue with this. She made a professional judgement call to not continue, what's so difficult to understand about that?
Yes, she bailed out of the remainder of the Olympics because of a single bad jump. Imagine if Lewis Hamilton quit the remainder of the F1 championship simply because he messed up the restart at Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Anyway, this thread is about Simone Biles saying she did not quit and some of us are saying BS, she did quit. She's obviously free to choose to quit but then she must own that choice and accept the label that comes with it. Let's not glorify her defeatism.