Simone Biles addresses her critics after stepping back from Olympic Games

/dev/null

Expert Member
So then you should also expect her to know when she should and shouldn't compete.
Yes, she should've stayed at home and give space for other American gymnast who are more serious about competing. Others make excuses for her by claiming she only realised mid-competition that she can no longer compete. They say it's fine and even admirable for her to be a coward because "twisties" are dangerous. If they shows up in one routine then tools down altogether.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Yes, she should've stayed at home and give space for other American gymnast who are more serious about competing. Others make excuses for her by claiming she only realised mid-competition that she can no longer compete. They say it's fine and even admirable for her to be a coward because "twisties" are dangerous. If they shows up in one routine then tools down altogether.
Then they would have qualified to compete?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

Lol

Unhappy438

Honorary Master

Attachments

• 5i802n.jpg
    5i802n.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 14

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Then they would have qualified to compete?
I dunno why the same people can't call a dick move a dick move.
She's still one of the greatest gymnasts, but damn this was in bad taste. Someone else would have loved to be there; she's like nah shame I already have enough of these.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Yes, she bailed out of the remainder of the Olympics because of a single bad jump. Imagine if Lewis Hamilton quit the remainder of the F1 championship simply because he messed up the restart at Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
Not the same. If Lewis quits a bad race, he has a week or 2 to prepare for the next. Athletes at the olympics have hours before their next event. They still have to cool off, train, warm up , eat and rest during those hours.

/dev/null

Expert Member
Not the same. If Lewis quits a bad race, he has a week or 2 to prepare for the next. Athletes at the olympics have hours before their next event. They still have to cool off, train, warm up , eat and rest during those hours.
Ok, so the best option in such time constraints is to quit and be made out a hero.

In case you didn't know, she's still quitting other upcoming individual events despite having a bit off this cool-off time you are speaking of.

But like I said, she's free to choose to quit - let us be free to call her a quitter.

zippy

Honorary Master
Served on military operations for a 10 year period, worked in dodgy places where a ransom was on my head, worked on dangerous oil exploration and production platforms, worked at sea and several others such as high voltage systems, high pressure systems, in areas with Hydrogen Sulfide gas and at heights with rope access.

You decide whether my jobs could have killed me.

Sounds like you quit a lot of things

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

They have years to prepare. It's not like the Olympics are unannounced.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I dunno why the same people can't call a dick move a dick move.
She's still one of the greatest gymnasts, but damn this was in bad taste. Someone else would have loved to be there; she's like nah shame I already have enough of these.
She’s like even on your best day you can’t beat me on my worst.
She earned the right to be there, she can do whatever she wants.

Same in any high stress job. Why should athletes get special exemption and attention?
Good point, this ain’t a job.
It’s a competition.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
She’s like even on your best day you can’t beat me on my worst.
She earned the right to be there, she can do whatever she wants.

Good point, this ain’t a job.
It’s a competition.
Of course, she can do whatever she wants. She can be a dck, like she was here. And that's why people are calling her just that.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
It is a job if she gets sponsored or paid. And in any job there is competition.
Isn’t that the prize?
Yes and her competition didn’t qualify to compete.

Is she selfish for not giving someone else a chance? No.
Is she selfish for thinking about herself like any person? Yes.

Iwojima

Expert Member
This.

The insane need to over-exaggerate and then politicize everything in Western society is such a tiresome trend of late.

If you think she's some sort of hero: Get your head checked.
If you think she's some sort of coward: Get your head checked.

She made a decision for reasons that make sense to her. Let her live with the consequences, both positive and negative, of that decision.