Simple Explanation of Darwin's TOE

Mr TB

Banned
Yet when it first surfaced it was widely spread ~ even on sites that might have since withdrawn it.

They make me puke. Because this is by no means the only lie they tell. Show me any creation site and I'll show you lies.

But here we sit in 2008 and I still have to point it (Darwin's recanting) out as a lie. A good lie never dies, it seems. :rolleyes:
I should actually say the same goes for the Bible M8.
Great lies have been spouted about it... and in 2008 I sit trying to explain the Truths...

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yes great lies have been "spouted" about the bible...

But a fairly good percentage of the stuff "spouted" about the bible is completely true Dodo, as much as you wish it wasn't the case.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
w1z4rd, unfortunately wiki apparently confused Pooky when he originally asked the question.

Claymore

Executive Member
Darwin's Theory of Evolution: The progression and development of single-celled organisms to complex living animals\plants through genetic mutation and adaptation over a very long period of time.

Is that ok?? :/
Adaptation isn't a part of it; I think you're thinking of natural selection.

Adaptation isn't a part of it; I think you're thinking of natural selection.
But natural selection would cause apparent adaption, wouldn't it? It would seem as if the surviving trait is adaption of the species to it's environment. Silly example would be the bush elephants in Knysna being smaller than Indian elephants, as they "adapted" to the surroundings.

Claymore

Executive Member
But natural selection would cause apparent adaption, wouldn't it? It would seem as if the surviving trait is adaption of the species to it's environment. Silly example would be the bush elephants in Knysna being smaller than Indian elephants, as they "adapted" to the surroundings.
If you're thinking in the colloquial, yes. Adaptation, in biology, is a bit more specific, and refers more to individuals rather than species.

oomhenry

When does a theory become a law? Like Newton's Law of Gravity and the laws of motion etc.

alloytoo

Honorary Master
When does a theory become a law? Like Newton's Law of Gravity and the laws of motion etc.
Never.

Laws like "Gravity" describe a phenomena, theories explain (or attempt to explain) the phenomena.

One could argue that changes in species over time are the observed "Law", as are the specialized species observed to occupy ecological Niches.

Theory of Evolution seeks to explain the mechanisms behind the observed "Laws".

People forget that evolution wasn't just sucked out of thin air. It came about as a response to evidence and observation already documented in the 18th & 19th Century.

oomhenry

Never.

Laws like "Gravity" describe a phenomena, theories explain (or attempt to explain) the phenomena.

One could argue that changes in species over time are the observed "Law", as are the specialized species observed to occupy ecological Niches.
Huh?????

Last edited:

oomhenry

Say you have your stereotypical high school nerd and jock. Now your jock buffs up while the nerd hits the books.

Because the jock buffed up, he can beat the nerd up, steal his lunch money, eat more, and then buff up even more. All the buffness allows the jock to get the stereotypical high school cheerleader, while the nerd sit alone at home, writing a computer virus.

This allowed the buffed up jock to procreate, ensuring survival of his genes, while the nerds genes go nowhere. Thus, the "fitter" (in this case) of the two genes survived.

This is a (very) simplified version of survival of the fittest, and similar to what Darwin's originally published TOE says. Note that the theory might well be applied in another way, such as that the nerd gets a fat paycheck which pulls the cheerleader which ensures survival of the "getting fat paychecks" gene..

(Please note: The characters in this post is purely fictional. Any resemblance to any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental.)
This was quite an eye opener. Now I understand why not all apes became human. I could never figure that out.:eek:

Spot on. Usually these laws are used if the scientific community has consensus on the validity of the laws, and certain laws only apply under certain conditions, (Usually the conditions that it was observed under when drawn up originally)

For instance, for smaller bodies Newton's laws of gravity holds, and for stellar masses General Relativity laws are used. (IIRC. I might have something mixed up there) Another example is the laws of motion taught in high school science that only hold if the acceleration is constant.

This was quite an eye opener...
Glad I could help. I hope I didn't lose too much important info in the metaphor.. :rolleyes: