Simple Yes/No- Is there a point to life?

Simple Yes/No- Is there a point to life?

• Yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Not telling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but it's sortof lame

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Debbie

Banned
Is there a point to life?

Just answer simply. You might want to try the following simple answers-
-"yes"
-"no"
-"undecided"
-"not telling"
-"yes but it's sortof lame".
----

My answer- yes.

Debbie

Banned
If one says there is. :)
well then i mean one that supercedes the reality presented here - ie, 'is there a point regardless of whether it depends on whether you think there's a point or not'

noxibox

Honorary Master
well then i mean one that supercedes the reality presented here - ie, 'is there a point regardless of whether it depends on whether you think there's a point or not'
Yes, your genes need a transmission medium. Any other point you make yourself.

Neo

Expert Member
Yes, survival of your genes, i.e. procreation.

dotVIBE

Expert Member
Yes, survival of your genes, i.e. procreation.
You're saying that procreation is the point of life? :D

but seriously, this very much ties into religious beliefs.
There is an afterlife: yes
There isn't : no

Xarog

Honorary Master
But I think that misses the point. Life is special precisely because of the myriad of reasons one can give to living. It's special because each and everyone of us can choose how we want to spend it, whether it's glorifying God, having the white picket fence and 2.4 kids, or working to promote world peace.

How much less would our lives be if there was some iron hard incontrovertable reason for living that none of us could deny?

On a more philosophical level, meaning is assigned to things by a perceiver of those things. A sunset is merely an arrangement of various atmospheric particles - but yet to the human eye it can appear so beautiful that it renders one speechless. What you're really asking is not "does life have some objective meaning?", but actually "Is there some other perceiver in the cosmos which assigns meaning and value to things?"

Debbie

Banned
But I think that misses the point. Life is special precisely because of the myriad of reasons one can give to living. It's special because each and everyone of us can choose how we want to spend it, whether it's glorifying God, having the white picket fence and 2.4 kids, or working to promote world peace.

How much less would our lives be if there was some iron hard incontrovertable reason for living that none of us could deny?

On a more philosophical level, meaning is assigned to things by a perceiver of those things. A sunset is merely an arrangement of various atmospheric particles - but yet to the human eye it can appear so beautiful that it renders one speechless. What you're really asking is not "does life have some objective meaning?", but actually "Is there some other perceiver in the cosmos which assigns meaning and value to things?"
Ah Xarog, I think the words you were looking for were "yes, but it's sortof lame".

:D Kidding- what you say has much value and was said well.

The only problem with your post is that you assign a point to my question, a point that I did not assign to it.

Xarog

Honorary Master
The only problem with your post is that you assign a point to my question, a point that I did not assign to it.
Well it's human nature to see points and reasons where otherwise there would be none. ;) :D

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
It's special because each and everyone of us can choose how we want to spend it.
Yes, i choose to live in a world free of poverty , free of war, free of borders, free of money, free of taxes, freedom to travel whenever and wherever i want, free to work when i choose, or not to, free of politics, free of racial and religious issues, free of crime, free of mans inhumanity to man and the natural world around him, freedom to explore and discover, freedom to make my own decisions with regards my own life, freedom from oppression and hatred, a world where everything is for the whole, the collective future of mankind, the individuals purpose is for improving, educating and building a better life for the next generation.
NO, you will not, you will work for a living, you will pay taxes, you will have to worry about a stupid concept called money and debt, you will have to live where you are told, you will have to fight wars for your country, you will have to slave away to companies and corporations, you will be subjected to crime and poverty, you will have your freedom removed whenever the government decides its in your best interest, you will not have a choice in many things in your life, and then you will die.

There is no choice, only the illusion that there is, by the powers that govern and rule our lives.
That is reality, there is no purpose other than finding the strength to keep going as best you can until you can (if you are wise) find a way to extract yourself from all the pettiness, and to get as far away as possible.

Xarog

Honorary Master
Yes, i choose to live in a world free of poverty , free of war, free of borders, free of money, free of taxes, freedom to travel whenever and wherever i want, free to work when i choose, or not to, free of politics, free of racial and religious issues, free of crime, free of mans inhumanity to man and the natural world around him, freedom to explore and discover, freedom to make my own decisions with regards my own life, freedom from oppression and hatred, a world where everything is for the whole, the collective future of mankind, the individuals purpose is for improving, educating and building a better life for the next generation.

NO, you will not, you will work for a living, you will pay taxes, you will have to worry about a stupid concept called money and debt, you will have to live where you are told, you will have to fight wars for your country, you will have to slave away to companies and corporations, you will be subjected to crime and poverty, you will have your freedom removed whenever the government decides its in your best interest, you will not have a choice in many things in your life, and then you will die.

There is no choice, only the illusion that there is, by the powers that govern and rule our lives.
That is reality, there is no purpose other than finding the strength to keep going as best you can until you can (if you are wise) find a way to extract yourself from all the pettiness, and to get as far away as possible.
You'll notice that I said you don't get to choose what other people think and feel and do.

And really, how does living in a world without poverty change the meaning of your life?