Simplest solution to have just a landing page on my website

foschinni

I have registered a domain with Afrihost. At the moment I am not ready to launch a full website. For now I just want to have just one landing page that reads something like "Soon to be the home of ***, please contact ***".

For just the landing page, I don't want to spend much or ideally not a cent. What is my simplest solution? I was thinking wordpress template or Wix? NB I don't know anything about web development.

Thanks

Hamster

Resident Rodent
1. Open notepad
2. Copy paste:
Code:
<html>
<head>
  <title>My Awesomsauce Site</title>
</head>
<body>
  <p>Soon to be the home of....</p>
</body>
</html>
3. Save as index.html
4. Upload to root site directory
5. Profit

foschinni

1. Open notepad
2. Copy paste:
Code:
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>
3. Save as index.html
5. Profit

Thanks. What is root site directory? Sorry I don't have IT background. Also how do I add some background graphic

Hamster

Resident Rodent
And if you have cpanel hosting (you most likely do) the you can scroll down to the Softaculous App Installer and install a small CMS/Site Builder like Kopage with a few clicks.

foschinni

And if you have cpanel hosting (you most likely do) the you can scroll down to the Softaculous App Installer and install a small CMS/Site Builder like Kopage with a few clicks.

Yes I do have a cpanel, but I didn't know what it was for. Thanks :)

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Thanks. What is root site directory? Sorry I don't have IT background. Also how do I add some background graphic

It's the uppermost directory where you can have files as part of your website, ie: www.mysite.com/index.html and www.mysite.com/pages/page.html
index.html will be in the root and so too a folder/directory called pages. page.html will be inside the pages directory.

If you log onto cpanel admin you'll see a File Manager. If you open it it will let you browse your "server". Most likely you'll see a folder called something very similar to your website. That folder is the root (depending on the hosting you've got, you'll probably see a cgi-bin folder in it).

foschinni

It's the uppermost directory where you can have files as part of your website, ie: www.mysite.com/index.html and www.mysite.com/pages/page.html
index.html will be in the root and so too a folder/directory called pages. page.html will be inside the pages directory.

If you log onto cpanel admin you'll see a File Manager. If you open it it will let you browse your "server". Most likely you'll see a folder called something very similar to your website. That folder is the root (depending on the hosting you've got, you'll probably see a cgi-bin folder in it).

I see. Thanks so much :)

Thor

Honorary Master
Do you have a little graphic

If you can give me a 100 x 500 png file I'll put it inside a responsive container for you then you can just leave it there until you have a proper site.

Or I can give you something else like mordor.co.za

For. Mahala

foschinni

Do you have a little graphic

If you can give me a 100 x 500 png file I'll put it inside a responsive container for you then you can just leave it there until you have a proper site.

Or I can give you something else like mordor.co.za

For. Mahala

Wow thanks so much. Will send you :)

terencej

Expert Member
1. Open notepad
2. Copy paste:
Code:
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>
3. Save as index.html
5. Profit

This

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
1. Open notepad
2. Copy paste:
Code:
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>
3. Save as index.html
5. Profit

Oh snap, you stole my code! Hax! jk :D

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
L33T H4X3D Y0U F1RST!

I could have been rich... that was the facebook of index pages. I was waiting for a massive buy out, and now you just stole my thunder :( Now Il have to move onto my second plan that surely can not fail. Facebook for pets. I think Ill be the first to upload a picture of my cat to the internet.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Yes I do have a cpanel, but I didn't know what it was for. Thanks :)

Now is a good time to familiarize yourself with it. Not having an IT background in this modern age will be to your own disadvantage. Learn something about the internet, how it works, and how everything fit together. Learn how to setup your own email accounts, setup a basic website like this and manage it.

This is a good starting point:

https://cpanel.com/products/#cpanel
https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/cPanel+Knowledge+Base
https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/cPanel+User+Documentation

AntennaMan

Expert Member
I have registered a domain with Afrihost. At the moment I am not ready to launch a full website. For now I just want to have just one landing page that reads something like "Soon to be the home of ***, please contact ***".

For just the landing page, I don't want to spend much or ideally not a cent. What is my simplest solution? I was thinking wordpress template or Wix? NB I don't know anything about web development.

Thanks

Maybe look into this. For the $10 sale price, it is definitely worth it.

Even if you don't want to do it as a career, this course teaches you a lot.

foschinni

Now is a good time to familiarize yourself with it. Not having an IT background in this modern age will be to your own disadvantage. Learn something about the internet, how it works, and how everything fit together. Learn how to setup your own email accounts, setup a basic website like this and manage it.

This is a good starting point:

https://cpanel.com/products/#cpanel
https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/cPanel+Knowledge+Base
https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/cPanel+User+Documentation