Simpsons ends use of white actors to voice people of colour

abzo

forum angel
US animated comedy series The Simpsons will no longer use white actors for the voices of characters from other ethnic backgrounds, the show's producers say.

The show, broadcast on Fox Network, has faced years of criticism over white actor Hank Azaria's voiceover of Indian-American character Apu.
Mr Azaria said earlier this year that he was stepping down from the role.
The entertainment industry has come under growing pressure to provide more opportunities for non-white performers.
Friday's announcement comes in the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests, which were sparked by the death of African-American George Floyd in US police custody on 25 May.

"Moving forward, The Simpsons will no longer have white actors voice non-white characters," the producers said in a short statement.

R13...

Honorary Master
Weird.
A lot of animated shows also interchange male/female with actors. I wonder if they'll also start moving in that direction. Also The Boondocks use black actors to voice white characters.

abzo

forum angel
Weird.
A lot of animated shows also interchange male/female with actors. I wonder if they'll also start moving in that direction. Also The Boondocks use black actors to voice white characters.
Bart Simpson himself is voiced by a woman, as are most male kids (sometimes called “boys”, but that might be racist) in cartoons.

R13...

Honorary Master
Bart Simpson himself is voiced by a woman, as are most male kids (sometimes called “boys”, but that might be racist) in cartoons.
Yeah, both boys in the boondocks are also voiced by Regina King. I suppose no one will complain until the roles are reversed.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Lol.
Fat Albert and the Cosby kids. Have you ever seen anything so racially stereotypical?
Or Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Trevor Noah. Talk about perpetuating the stereotype.
Or is it possible that the stereotype is accurate and it's OK to have a dig at as long as it's not malicious?

abzo

forum angel
Lol.
Fat Albert and the Cosby kids. Have you ever seen anything so racially stereotypical?
Hey! Hey! Hey! Not sure that counts since it was made by Bill Cosby and based on his childhood.

It was a very educational show. They always warned kids not to take drugs but they never once warned them not to drug women and rape them.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Here we are arguing about whether a white man can play a black man and China is busy taking over the world.

abzo

forum angel
Here we are arguing about whether a white man can play a black man and China is busy taking over the world.
What’s wrong with China taking over the world? Would you be saying the same thing if Norway was “taking over the world”?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
What’s wrong with China taking over the world? Would you be saying the same thing if Norway was “taking over the world”?
Sounds like a troll post but I'll bite.

Welll, for one, its an incredibly brutal regime, as you can see by their many human rights abuses over the years. Even a leftie like you must see that China is not great on human rights. Go to China and tell them you are gay or transgender, they will probably lock you up. Criticise the government and you will never be seen again.

This is just what China is like - many documented cases of that. Look at what happened to people who criticised China's intervention in Hong Kong.

The second thing is that I'm not Chinese, nor Asian, nor do I speak Mandarin, nor do I want to speak Mandarin. I want the Western world to stay alive, but it is doing its best to end the empire quickly.

abzo

forum angel
Sounds like a troll post but I'll bite.

Welll, for one, its an incredibly brutal regime, as you can see by their many human rights abuses over the years. Even a leftie like you must see that China is not great on human rights. Go to China and tell them you are gay or transgender, they will probably lock you up. Criticise the government and you will never be seen again.

This is just what China is like - many documented cases of that. Look at what happened to people who criticised China's intervention in Hong Kong.

The second thing is that I'm not Chinese, nor Asian, nor do I speak Mandarin, nor do I want to speak Mandarin. I want the Western world to stay alive, but it is doing its best to end the empire quickly.
I was highlighting how you need to be careful with the words you use. It might have been obvious to you and those who might know you that you’re referring to their regime but to anyone else it could have been interpreted as simply because they’re Chinese.

Also, “a leftie like you”...but won’t get into that bit of profiling.

wbot

Expert Member
I don't think this is such a bad thing. There are not that many black characters anyway. Only 2 regular ones. They might sound better with black voices :p

wbot

Expert Member
The real crime is that The Simpsons is still going.
It's currently on 2 channels on dstv including the latest season. I can't remember the last time i cracked a smile.

Futurama is a million times better and funnier. Why did it get cancelled again :(