Simpsons ends use of white actors to voice people of colour

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
Of course not but to me this is not a big deal if they want to use black actors for black characters. I say go for it. I've watched shows and played games where I wished they used black actors instead of very obvious white ones.
I agree on this with you. If the voice doesn't sound believable, then rather have a voice actor who sounds right for the character being portrayed.
I'm not against ethnic actors portraying ethnic characters. I'm against their reasoning that only actors of a particular race or ethnicity, has to be a voice actor for a cartoon character of said ethnicity or race group.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I say we'll all get used to the changes. Things haven't always been this way.

Sensorei

Executive Member
blackvoice
/ˈblakvɔɪs/
Learn to pronounce

noun
noun: black-voice

1. 1.​
    a voice-over or imitation done by a white person to sound like a black person, or the practice of doing this. Considered racist and demeaning.

Daruk

Honorary Master
blackvoice
/ˈblakvɔɪs/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. 1.​
    a voice-over or imitation done by a white person to sound like a black person, or the practice of doing this. Considered racist and demeaning.
Are they implying there is only one black accent?

noxibox

Honorary Master
I think they should only be voiced by two dimensional drawn people otherwise how can they know the lived experience of an animated character?

It's tough for companies and other organisations in these times. They are accused of only paying lip service to the BLM but when they try do something tangible within their control; they get accused of being misguided in their actions. It's like the weather.
They shouldn't even be paying lip service to BLM.

rietrot

Honorary Master
So it’s going to be animated in Korea and also have Koreans do the voices for the Simpsons and other yellow characters too?
I'm not sure if calling Koreans yellow is racist yet.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
blackvoice
/ˈblakvɔɪs/
Learn to pronounce
noun
  1. 1.​
Demeaning to who/whom?

The animated character does not care.
The white viewer? Is it him/her?
The black viewer? Does it worry him/her because of the accent or the imitation? Is offended because the accent or imitation is poor, too good, or if good because the black viewer now associates the imitation by a white person with a perception of being insulted?

The entire debate is just plain and simply stupid.

Last edited:

rietrot

Honorary Master
Do you listen for a person's race when you watch an animated show?
Actually yes. Not consciously, but the voice needs to fit with the caracter.

I don't think I've ever came across one that doesn't.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You need to watch the flood of soapies e-tv and the SABC have sourced form Turkey for a laugh.
The accents are a joke in themselves. The persons depicted are all clearly "Turkish" (white) whereas the voices are clearly mostly Cape Coloured and unbelievably out of place sometimes.

There is nothing like a dubbed foreign movie/series of a "white character" with a spoken voice of a cape coloured whose home language is Afrikaans trying to speak "Posh English".

That is ignoring the huge lip-synch mess-ups as well.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
You need to watch the flood of soapies e-tv and the SABC have sourced form Turkey for a laugh.
The accents are a joke in themselves. The persons depicted are all clearly "Turkish" (white) whereas the voices are clearly mostly Cape Coloured and unbelievably out of place sometimes.

There is nothing like a dubbed foreign movie/series of a "white character" with a spoken voice of a cape coloured whose home language is Afrikaans trying to speak "Posh English".

That is ignoring the huge lip-synch mess-ups as well.
Do you remember those SABC 2 police programmes dubbed into Zulu back in the day?

Nothing like a white NYPD cop speaking fluent Zulu.