Simpsons ends use of white actors to voice people of colour

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
What about mixed race people? What if you a mix of Indian, First Nation, Chinese, Caucasian, black and Capetonian?

What about Wentworth Miller? African-American, Jamaican, German, English, Russian, Swedish, French, Dutch, Syrian, and Lebanese. What parts can he voice?
1593267742391.png

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Do you remember those SABC 2 police programmes dubbed into Zulu back in the day?

Nothing like a white NYPD cop speaking fluent Zulu.

That was WHEN there was real quality dubbing going on. People fluent in Zulu ( your words) were used and one then clearly had to make the "mental jump" to accommodate it and I am sure Zulu speakers would have found it hilarious sometimes.
What would have been really pointless is if a Zulu speaker was asked to try and imitate a NY cop speaking American English ---

That is the point of my post. Dub something into another language, --- Use Afrikaans and be done with it. If the objective is English, then use English speakers etc.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
That was WHEN there was real quality dubbing going. People fluent in Zulu ( your words) were used and one then clearly had to make the "mental jump" to accommodate it and I am sure Zulu speakers would have found it hilarious sometimes.
What would have been really pointless is if a Zulu speaker was asked to try and imitate a NY cop speaking American English ---

That is the point of my post. Dun something into another language, --- Use Afrikaans and be done with it. If the objective is English, then use English speakers etc.
/Cringes

SoldierMan

Expert Member
So no more women voicing for men/boys either then?

And what about Kratos, no black for white characters either I suppose?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
/huh/?

The trouble taken by the SABC at the time was impressive, from the translations to the voices chosen, the scripting changes to ensure the best possible lip-synch matches etc.

I spent plenty of time at the SABC at the time and it was an entertainment in itself to watch the process unfolding in the studios. The trouble taken and the number of reruns until it was perfect.

Now, you can see and hear the short cuts all the time.

rietrot

Honorary Master
What about mixed race people? What if you a mix of Indian, First Nation, Chinese, Caucasian, black and Capetonian?

What about Wentworth Miller? African-American, Jamaican, German, English, Russian, Swedish, French, Dutch, Syrian, and Lebanese. What parts can he voice?
View attachment 866371
Finding a voice actor with the above family history would be like hitting the jackpot. They could do all the voices.

Daruk

Honorary Master

View attachment 866371
I don't want to ask what happened on the night he was conceived. Did they just not know who the dad was?

Pegasus

Expert Member

View attachment 866371
Wentworth Miller is gay, he plays straight characters.

Very disturbing.

Grant

Honorary Master
/huh/?

The trouble taken by the SABC at the time was impressive, from the translations to the voices chosen, the scripting changes to ensure the best possible lip-synch matches etc.

I spent plenty of time at the SABC at the time and it was an entertainment in itself to watch the process unfolding in the studios. The trouble taken and the number of reruns until it was perfect.

Now, you can see and hear the short cuts all the time.
I remember when TV was first broadcast - those dubbed German programs - I seem to remember the name "Derek"