Simpsons ends use of white actors to voice people of colour

Flanders

Honorary Master
/huh/?

The trouble taken by the SABC at the time was impressive, from the translations to the voices chosen, the scripting changes to ensure the best possible lip-synch matches etc.

I spent plenty of time at the SABC at the time and it was an entertainment in itself to watch the process unfolding in the studios. The trouble taken and the number of reruns until it was perfect.

Now, you can see and hear the short cuts all the time.
Just use robotic voices. Would be perfectly fitting for today's standard of entertainment.

zeb

Expert Member
Where will they get a talking dog to do Brian's voice on Family Guy?
K9 lives matter

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Where will they get a talking dog to do Brian's voice on Family Guy?
K9 lives matter
If they, like creators of "The Simpsons", decide to follow that route, they'll make a plan. But he's an anthropomorphic dog, so creators can decide the race.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
It's currently on 2 channels on dstv including the latest season. I can't remember the last time i cracked a smile.

Futurama is a million times better and funnier. Why did it get cancelled again :(
Simpson is not at all funny for a long time. I stopped even downloading the episodes ... it boggles my mind it still running

Lupus

Honorary Master
Simpson is not at all funny for a long time. I stopped even downloading the episodes ... it boggles my mind it still running
Still better than that Disenchantement rubbish, wow that was bad, tried season 2 and was like wtf

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Can't wait till the remake something like I Am Sam, and instead of using an actor to portray a guy with a mental disability, they go full retard and use an actual retard.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Can't wait till the remake something like I Am Sam, and instead of using an actor to portray a guy with a mental disability, they go full retard and use an actual retard.
The whole world has gone freaking mad, I mean are we now going to get rid of all the voice actors from roles because they aren't 5 year old kids? Sorry Tara Strong you're not 5 you cannot voice them, sorry Laura Bailey you're not a criminal can't voice CatWoman, Kevin Connoly you're not a billionaire can't be Batman, Peter Cullen you're not a transforming robot sorrry.

Itsa Trap

It's about time. Gay people should play gay people, black people should play black people, half men-horses should be played by centaurs and white straight people need to STFU, they've had their time in the sun, which wasn't good for their sensitive skins.

But, again, to be completely serious. The show can do whatever it wants wrt voice actors. I just wonder what this means for any comedian that does voices other than their perceived "racial" stereotype. As for animated shows, there are other ones on the air who thrive on having prejudiced characters and throwing it in your face. The joke of course is that they are trying to make a case for people being more accepting, or at least more respectful of one another. OR just trying to piss the far left AND the far right off. Who knows.

My favourite scene still is the scene from Paradise PD where the Corporate media follows the officers into the woods and they stage the literal best complete mashup of stereotypes doing the exact un-stereotypical things possible. I nearly shat myself laughing.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
The whole world has gone freaking mad, I mean are we now going to get rid of all the voice actors from roles because they aren't 5 year old kids? Sorry Tara Strong you're not 5 you cannot voice them, sorry Laura Bailey you're not a criminal can't voice CatWoman, Kevin Connoly you're not a billionaire can't be Batman, Peter Cullen you're not a transforming robot sorrry.
Yeah, the (un)woke don't seem to realise the meaning of the word act/actor/acting...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yeah, the (un)woke don't seem to realise the meaning of the word act/actor/acting...
Nope they don't, pulled an episode of Community from Netflix because Ken Jeong was dressed as a dark elf... Cause you know black face.