Sinotec TV 5 year guarantee questions.

Totempole

Expert Member
Just under 2 years ago, I bought a Sinotec TV from Makro. I bought a Sinotec product for a number of reasons.

1. It boasted a 5 year guarantee.
2. It was the cheapest TV in its class.
3. It was a true Full HD panel. Unlike some other models which, although marked Full HD, didn't offer a true 1:1 pixel output.

On Sunday afternoon, it failed. So today, I returned it to Makro to be sent in for repairs. I should mention that this TV was very well looked after, and is literally still in brand new condition (barring the fault which occurred). I have returned it in its original packaging and boxed it up as it was when I bought it.

I was told that it should take 14-21 working days to repair, unless additional parts are required, in which case it would take longer. So already, I don't have a real timeframe in which the repair will be competed.

Another thing is, ideally I would like to be sure that the TV is returned to me in the same condition that I sent it off, but all I can do is hope for the best.

So on to my questions:

Since this is long out of the CPA period, what are my rights in terms of this guarantee?
Do I have a right to expect that the TV is returned to me in the same condition that I send it off?

Is there a timeframe in which they're obligated to complete a repair, or do they have an infinite amount of time to do so?

When I bought the TV in 2013 there were mostly good reviews about Sinoprima's repair process, but lately there are mostly negative reviews/complaints which has me a bit concerned.

Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Edelweiss

Guarantee = You are entitled to ask for a replacement.
Warranty = You are entitled for repairs free of charge.

If I were you I'd demand a new TV if it stated a guarantee and not warranty.

Totempole

Expert Member
Guarantee = You are entitled to ask for a replacement.
Warranty = You are entitled for repairs free of charge.

If I were you I'd demand a new TV if it stated a guarantee and not warranty.

I'm pretty sure repair was my only option in this case. At least initially.

At any rate, I would rather have it repaired than replaced, because the model that replaced it inferior, in that it's only HD Ready, so unsuitable for my needs. If it can't be repaired, I'll have to get a refund, as they (Sinotec) no longer offer a suitable product.

stiller

2009 I bought one from Game. September 2013 took it back as the LCD was faulty. When i went to collect it, the stand was broken. I refused to take it back. Two weeks later they could not find a raplacement stand and i got my full money back. If it's still within the 5 year warranty and they cannot fix it, they will give you a full refund.

Budza

Executive Member
2009 I bought one from Game. September 2013 took it back as the LCD was faulty. When i went to collect it, the stand was broken. I refused to take it back. Two weeks later they could not find a raplacement stand and i got my full money back. If it's still within the 5 year warranty and they cannot fix it, they will give you a full refund.

Which is pretty sweet, as the new models are much cheaper...

Totempole

Expert Member

In my case, they told me to keep the stand, attachment screws and remote. They only wanted the panel itself. Your post about the broken stand is worriying though, as it implies they don't really take much care with products sent in for repair.

Which is pretty sweet, as the new models are much cheaper...

Actually, the new model of my TV is R300 more expensive now, and only HD Ready, not Full HD. :(

Lupus

Honorary Master
I had a Sinotec in 2008, it popped in 2009 and they eventually replaced it after almost three months of waiting.

Totempole

Expert Member
I had a Sinotec in 2008, it popped in 2009 and they eventually replaced it after almost three months of waiting.

Another thing I'm worried about. Really don't want to have to wait 3 months. :(

furpile

Expert Member
If they have to replace it they have to replace it with the same type of TV, they cannot give you an HD ready tv to replace a Full HD one. In that case they might give you a refund.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Bought a Sinotec many years ago..

Popped after 4 years and 6 months.... Makro boys came out, had a look at the TV, said it was broken and couldn't be fixed. Makro gave me the full original purchase price back, so I replaced it with a blu-ray system and 39" tv for my folks, and a 32" for me since I already had a newer bigger tv at home.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Bought a Sinotec many years ago..

Popped after 4 years and 6 months.... Makro boys came out, had a look at the TV, said it was broken and couldn't be fixed. Makro gave me the full original purchase price back, so I replaced it with a blu-ray system and 39" tv for my folks, and a 32" for me since I already had a newer bigger tv at home.

Which is what makes these such a good investment. A problem on a Sinotec usually cannot be repaired which results in a full refund even after such a long time.

Mine is going on 6 years now without a hitch.

Totempole

Expert Member
Keep pestering them, they'll eventually relent and give you a new one.

I'll do that, thanks, but as I said before, a new one won't help me, as the new model is only HD Ready, not Full HD. If they can't fix mine, I'd rather take a refund and spend a little extra for a suitable model from another manufacturer.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I'll do that, thanks, but as I said before, a new one won't help me, as the new model is only HD Ready, not Full HD. If they can't fix mine, I'd rather take a refund and spend a little extra for a suitable model from another manufacturer.

If they can't fix it, they will give you a complete refund of the original purchase price.

Totempole

Expert Member
If they can't fix it, they will give you a complete refund of the original purchase price.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens, and go from there. :) Hopefully I'll get an update in the next week or so.

bboy

Expert Member
Makro are good with their refunds, I think their own policy is that if it cant be fixed in 20 working days then full refund.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Bought mine in 2009, had issues when it didn't come on in 2013, was still under 5 yr warranty.
Took it back to GAME, they sent in for repairs, there is a sign up in game where if its not back within certain number of working days, you get full refund.

Needless to say it didn't come back within required time so demanded my money back which they did, I used that and bought bigger and what i thought was better TV a Samsung with 2yr warranty, the Samsung is now showing signs of bleeding light along the edges and is out of warranty.

Totempole

Expert Member
Bought mine in 2009, had issues when it didn't come on in 2013, was still under 5 yr warranty.
Took it back to GAME, they sent in for repairs, there is a sign up in game where if its not back within certain number of working days, you get full refund.

Needless to say it didn't come back within required time so demanded my money back which they did, I used that and bought bigger and what i thought was better TV a Samsung with 2yr warranty, the Samsung is now showing signs of bleeding light along the edges and is out of warranty.

Yes, Game has a 21 day turnaround policy which they try not to enforce, but is usually an open and shut case when it comes to a refund claim.

Weirdly enough, Makro doesn't have that policy. They just told me it would "take between 14 and 21 working days, maybe longer if they need to get parts". So effectively they've given themselves an infinite amount of time. :(

Luke7777

Executive Member
When my Sinotec started giving problems after about 6 years, I put it in the back of the van, drove to Sinoprima and asked them to have a look. Quoted me R700 and if I could hang around for an hour or so, they'll fix it there and then. No brainer of course :)

Totempole

Expert Member
When my Sinotec started giving problems after about 6 years, I put it in the back of the van, drove to Sinoprima and asked them to have a look. Quoted me R700 and if I could hang around for an hour or so, they'll fix it there and then. No brainer of course :)

Unfortunately, no Sinoprima in CPT I don't think. I take it they did a good job without leaving any "battle scars" on your TV?