Sinotec TV 5 year guarantee questions.

Totempole

Expert Member
Update: Got an SMS from Makro today, saying that the supplier or repair agent has received my TV for evaluation. It's not much to go on, but at least it's something.

Totempole

Expert Member
Update 2: Got a call from Makro today to say that my TV is ready for collection (That was quick :).). I'm not able to collect it today, but they point-blank refuse to tell me what was wrong with the screen and what was done to repair it, until I come in and collect it. Not cool Makro. :(

Budza

Executive Member
Update again when you've got it back.

Name & Shame

OR

Name & Fame

Ball's in their court I suppose :D

Totempole

Expert Member
Update again when you've got it back.

Name & Shame

OR

Name & Fame

Ball's in their court I suppose :D

I got through to the returns department manager yesterday, who called me back this morning. Apparently it was a faulty backlight. Going to pick it up shortly.

Totempole

Expert Member
Well, went to go and pick it up today. I was almost ready to sing their praises. I'm very particular about my stuff, because I look after it, and expect same when I send items in for return. Everything looked good, and I even tested it in store, on blue screen mode. It looked fine, so I signed for it and took it home.

After setting it up and plugging it in and using it for a while, I noticed a tiny cluster of damaged pixels at the bottom left corner of the screen, where perhaps a small piece of grit , or a screw must have made contact with the panel during repair. It's far too small to even bother trying to complain about, but I know for a fact that it wasn't there when I returned it.

As for Makro's staff (Montague Gardens), no complaints at all, they were very helpful and accommodating. I guess I'll get over the dead pixel, hell, I returned the first two of these TV's back when I bought it, because they had worse dead pixels than this one right out of the box.

I still have 3 years warranty remaining, so if it gets worse or if anything else goes wrong, I can still send it back.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Good to hear. Makro is always my first stop when it comes to tvs. They do provide a great service.

Dee96

Expert Member
Hi all. Sorry for the necro.

Quick question, does the warranty by any chance cover accidental damage, is (a cracked screen)

I know it's not probable but just thought I would ask

dj2381

Expert Member
I've been looking at these Tv's, I see Makro has a UHD with a 4 year guarantee, anybody here used one? Is there a difference in quality compared to the big name brands?

dj2381

Expert Member
Can't go wrong with Samsung

I own a Samsung and would never buy another, was a new model less than a year ago, the smart functionality is dog slow compared to my LG of 3 years old, and definitely the Magic remote FTW.

Noseworthy

Expert Member
I own a Samsung and would never buy another, was a new model less than a year ago, the smart functionality is dog slow compared to my LG of 3 years old, and definitely the Magic remote FTW.

Right let me rephrase. I'm not talking about the bells and whistles. Im only talking about picture quality

Lupus

Honorary Master
Can't go wrong with Samsung

Yup and years ago people were saying, can't go wrong with whatever known brand was at the time, don't go for Samsung it's cheap Korean blah blah :).
I've had a Sinotec, Samsung and now a Hisense, they are pretty much all evenish, yes one has a slight better this or that but at the end of the day they were all perfectly fine, the only reason they were replaced was to go bigger :)

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Don't have that problem on mine. Also the picture quality on a Samsung will be better then a Sinotec/Hisense.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yup and years ago people were saying, can't go wrong with whatever known brand was at the time, don't go for Samsung it's cheap Korean blah blah :).
I've had a Sinotec, Samsung and now a Hisense, they are pretty much all evenish, yes one has a slight better this or that but at the end of the day they were all perfectly fine, the only reason they were replaced was to go bigger :)

There in lies the problem.

It's all a matter of what you use it for ultimately.

If you are the type of person who is only watching TV on it and more so if you are the type of person who runs stuff in Dynamic or Vivid mode never to look back again...then you can pretty much buy any piece of **** and you'll be happy. Or if you think 200hz is actually a good thing and leave stuff like Motion Plus on.

If you are a gamer or a serious enough person to colour calibrate your TV then it's a whole different ball game of input lag, responsiveness and colour accuracy.

And that's when Sinotec and Hisense fail horrendously.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Don't have that problem on mine. Also the picture quality on a Samsung will be better then a Sinotec/Hisense.

Yes and no.

If it's the "same" level of TV where the HiSense/Sinotec is the cheaper of the two but for similar features then more than likely the most expensive one wins.

But in the rare cases where you are willing to spend the SAME money but ho Hisense/Sinotec over say Samsung/LG then you might find that you actually get a better set.

However this changes drastically from price point to price point.

Generally these things really need to be compared on a set for set basis and doing the broad brush strokes across brands doesn't always work (although it's reasonably accurate).

The cheap stuff from Samsung/LG is also cheap for a reason.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I noticed that most of the content I watch is either compressed 1080p hd dl or 720p.

The only time you'll appreciate a top of the range smart tv is from a blu ray disk. Last time I bought blu ray was like 5 years ago. Honestly don't need it.

Those displays at Makro are running off a disk, which to my mind won't feature when watching content.

Question is when it comes to "viewable content" how much better is a Sinotec to a Samsung?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I noticed that most of the content I watch is either compressed 1080p hd dl or 720p.

The only time you'll appreciate a top of the range smart tv is from a blu ray disk. Last time I bought blu ray was like 5 years ago. Honestly don't need it.

Wrong colour is wrong colour, regardless of the compression.

But if anything not watching native content is EXACTLY where the difference comes in as the panels are often much the same but the built-in scalers of lower resolutions is what makes one tv shine over the other.

Those displays at Makro are running off a disk, which to my mind won't feature when watching content.

They are also running under a warehouse of harsh fluorescent lighting that is nothing like your lounge at home and therefore doing an in store comparison is utterly pointless.

You'd do better reading about them and never seeing them at all.

Question is when it comes to "viewable content" how much better is a Sinotec to a Samsung?

Like I said above the built-in scalers for input to screen output is what makes a huge difference.

Then beyond that colour accuracy of the panel itself.

But if you were just going to smash it with Dynamic/Vivid mode and leave it like that...then it really doesn't matter to you anyway.

It's unlikely a Sinotec is ever better than a Samsung, unless you are comparing the top of the range Sinotec with the bottom of the range Samsung.