Sinotec TV 5 year guarantee questions.

dj2381

Expert Member
There in lies the problem.

It's all a matter of what you use it for ultimately.

If you are the type of person who is only watching TV on it and more so if you are the type of person who runs stuff in Dynamic or Vivid mode never to look back again...then you can pretty much buy any piece of **** and you'll be happy. Or if you think 200hz is actually a good thing and leave stuff like Motion Plus on.

If you are a gamer or a serious enough person to colour calibrate your TV then it's a whole different ball game of input lag, responsiveness and colour accuracy.

And that's when Sinotec and Hisense fail horrendously.

Sorry to derail, I've never been able to get a clear answer, but which 4K TV would you consider is great for media and gaming from a console as well as pc?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sorry to derail, I've never been able to get a clear answer, but which 4K TV would you consider is great for media and gaming from a console as well as pc?

At this point in time it's a terrible time to be buying because the real deal UHD's With HDR that don't lag are few and far between.

I would wait till 2017.

4K has been over marketed and completely under delivered.

I most certainly wouldn't buy the lesser brands if the big ones aren't even getting it right.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wrong colour is wrong colour, regardless of the compression.

But if anything not watching native content is EXACTLY where the difference comes in as the panels are often much the same but the built-in scalers of lower resolutions is what makes one tv shine over the other.

They are also running under a warehouse of harsh fluorescent lighting that is nothing like your lounge at home and therefore doing an in store comparison is utterly pointless.

You'd do better reading about them and never seeing them at all.

Like I said above the built-in scalers for input to screen output is what makes a huge difference.

Then beyond that colour accuracy of the panel itself.

But if you were just going to smash it with Dynamic/Vivid mode and leave it like that...then it really doesn't matter to you anyway.

It's unlikely a Sinotec is ever better than a Samsung, unless you are comparing the top of the range Sinotec with the bottom of the range Samsung.

Agreed the scaler is generally where to look, with my old Sinotec the upscaled signals weren't bad but weren't great, normal 1080p stuff was fine, colour accuracy wasn't bad but wasn't great, but for the price at the time and a replacement for the 32" TV that was stolen it was good for it's price.
After two years I replaced it with a 46" Samsung 5 series which is mid range, colour accuracy was a lot better, scaler was drastically better, strangely enough though it did have an odd issue with fast moving scenes though where it didn't quite ghost but it there was lag, gaming wasn't too bad from a console on it, but don't try a PC as you'd see the lag.
After four years with the Samsung, it got duller and colours started to kind of disappear, the person who bought it from me didn't mind and just pushed the backlight all the way up. I ended up getting a Hisense after standing in the Makro (I know the harsh lighting etc) with the remote for four TV's that were close enough to each other I could test, there was a 49" Samsung, 50" LG, 50" Sinotec and the 50" Hisense.
I looked at the Sinotec, noticed it didn't have backlight options, it didn't have many options on the remote at all, yes the picture was far better than the older Sinotec I had back in the day but compared to the other three it was short, the Samsung was a smart 3D TV and was sitting at 3k more than the LG, yes all the doodads and whistles were there, the remote was nice, the menu was great, could set the TV up quite nicely, but 3k over was pushing me over my limit.
The LG was next up, it had everything I liked, it looked good, the colour reproduced was good, it wasn't 3D, it wasn't smart and it's menu was quite concise, but it was R1k more than the Hisense, so I moved across to that. They were actually right next to each other, all four TVS weren't actually set to vivid/dynamic at all on the showroom floor, they were just at standard btw. So using the user settings on the Hisense (which on the main menu is pretty dismal) I got the picture to look near enough to the LG that it was fine, using the hidden menu I got it even closer, that I was happy with it. Hooking it up to my Xbox one the Hisense was fine, it was much better than the older Hisense 50" a friend bought a few years earlier, where the input lag was so bad you couldn't play at all.
Though now a year later part of me wishes I had gone for the LG, as you can turn off the dynamic contrast and the dynamic motion rate.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I just wish sometimes you could get the higher end stuff with less smart nonsense so you don't have to pay for it.

If I had the option I would probably do that.

At least until smart gets better and actually useful.

dj2381

Expert Member
At this point in time it's a terrible time to be buying because the real deal UHD's With HDR that don't lag are few and far between.

I would wait till 2017.

I most certainly wouldn't buy the lesser brands if the big ones aren't even getting it right.

Hmmmm, I have time to wait, maybe the prices will get better as well.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I just wish sometimes you could get the higher end stuff with less smart nonsense so you don't have to pay for it.

If I had the option I would probably do that.

At least until smart gets better and actually useful.

This is true, it was the same wish for me with regards to 3D, luckily that did eventually die down.

Splinter

Honorary Master

I would wait till 2017.

While I agree with you to wait until 2017, I am not sure where you get that the big brands are not getting it right?

The only "undelivered" part for 4k right now is basically content. Otherwise there are quite a few TV's that now meet the official standard for "4K"

Switch_Za

Well I am sitting with an issue where my FHD Sinotec 50" developed dead pixels. I took it in to Game as it has a 5 year warranty, they checked it and confirmed the issue, booked it all smiles. Yesterday at 5:50pm I get a call saying that it is uneconomical to repair and there is a crack in the screen... I told her that there was no crack when I booked it in (I took photos of this and they have security cameras) to which she gave a reply saying that it was internal and I wouldn't have seen it.

I was then told that they aren't going to replace it or refund me. I have reached out to the Game Manager and Massmart but I am getting a run around... The TV wasn't even tuned in as I have only ever used it as a digital display for home entertainment. Not only is it worse condition but them going back on their word is even worse :mad: :( :confused:

Does anyone know how to proceed here short of taking legal action?

neilronaldson

I have always wondered about that Sinotec 5 year GUARANTEE.....When we bought our 42 inch LG they had a 50inch sinotec for the same price, wife said no take the LG...If it was me i would have bought the Sinotec.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well I am sitting with an issue where my FHD Sinotec 50" developed dead pixels. I took it in to Game as it has a 5 year warranty, they checked it and confirmed the issue, booked it all smiles. Yesterday at 5:50pm I get a call saying that it is uneconomical to repair and there is a crack in the screen... I told her that there was no crack when I booked it in (I took photos of this and they have security cameras) to which she gave a reply saying that it was internal and I wouldn't have seen it.

I was then told that they aren't going to replace it or refund me. I have reached out to the Game Manager and Massmart but I am getting a run around... The TV wasn't even tuned in as I have only ever used it as a digital display for home entertainment. Not only is it worse condition but them going back on their word is even worse :mad: :( :confused:

Does anyone know how to proceed here short of taking legal action?

You should've asked them how could it get an internal crack? The only people to take it a part were them, so they cracked it.

Switch_Za

You should've asked them how could it get an internal crack? The only people to take it a part were them, so they cracked it.

I did ask but the woman that called clearly didn't have a clue and told me that she isn't a technician. I have raised it with Noel Nkabinde, the Game Regional Manager, so will see what happens. They are also under the impression that there isn't a 5 year warranty on the TV. I know there is as it is the reason I opted for Sinotec again as I have another one which is still working fine. I am sure that I have a photo of the display from when I bought (just to find the photo). As i said, I will see what happens before going to DEFCON 5 :p

Lupus

Honorary Master
I did ask but the woman that called clearly didn't have a clue and told me that she isn't a technician. I have raised it with Noel Nkabinde, the Game Regional Manager, so will see what happens. They are also under the impression that there isn't a 5 year warranty on the TV. I know there is as it is the reason I opted for Sinotec again as I have another one which is still working fine. I am sure that I have a photo of the display from when I bought (just to find the photo). As i said, I will see what happens before going to DEFCON 5 :p

Also internal cracks are normally resultant in a fault with the screen itself and are probably caused by heat, there is no way you can crack the screen internally.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
This is bullshyte. Can't repair, replace, or refund under guarantee.

They're implying that you somehow bumped or knocked it which resulted in an internal crack. Can happen but highly unlikely.

How long have you had it and which branch is this.

Game covers you for a year and the balance is from Sinotec afaik.

Switch_Za

This is bullshyte. Can't repair, replace, or refund under guarantee.

They're implying that you somehow bumped or knocked it which resulted in an internal crack. Can happen but highly unlikely.

How long have you had it and which branch is this.

Game covers you for a year and the balance is from Sinotec afaik.

It is the Bel Airs branch in JHB. I take care of the things I own as I work my butt off to afford them. I literally unpacked it and placed it on the TV stand when I bought it then a little over two years in the dead pixel developed. Only my computer and consoles have ever been connected too. I didn't stress as I knew I was covered, I also don't have kids or pets that could have hit or impacted the TV. Working in IT I know that those would have been considered factors.

I checked their website and they are still advertising Sinotec with a 5 year warranty so it isn't some crazy once of thing they did, it is well known. Still waiting on their feedback and failing that I will go to the store after work and kick up a stink.

Switch_Za

Well the saga continues with no resolution from Game for Sinotec. I found their print ad from April 2014 with a 5 year guarantee so now I will just get my friend who is an attorney to look at it and draft a letter to them. Game also state that if it isn't repaired within 3 weeks you get a full refund. Massmart have also refused to assist. I have no works for how terrible this service experience has been but I know now to avoid Game, Massmart and their lies.