Sipho Maseko's letter to Telkom staff about stepping down as CEO

Thor

Honorary Master
One of the better ones in terms of what he tried to do.

Still field catastrophicly to try and become a fiber player.

Smaller companies did it better and now vumatel is set to be the next Telkom of fiber.

The one thing he did right though was push Telkom Mobile.

Its the only thing Telkom has left.

If I was them I'd focus on mobile and datacenter services to Amazing and Google.

Telkom has infrastructure that isn't being used that would be of great interest to Google and Amazon

Obronie

Smaller companies did it better and now vumatel is set to be the next Telkom of fiber.

If I was them I'd focus on mobile and datacenter services to Amazing and Google.

Telkom has infrastructure that isn't being used that would be of great interest to Google and Amazon
I do think that Openserve has done well as a seperate entity, they could have and should have been where Vuma are now but he did played a large role in getting the Telkom Strategy right. He is the type of person that should be a Minister of Telecoms in SA. The ANC is however good at fetching a cadre with a ECD diploma with zero experience to be a minister

j4ck455

Executive Member

I don't have good things to say about Vumatel and the fees it charges, but it does seem like Vumatel is trying to be the new fixed line monopoly (of FTTH), it's the reason I switched from Vumatel to Openserve.

Louis72

Expert Member

Nothing wrong with Openserve in my opinion.

They could have been a lot better with expansion into existing Telkom area’s making sure they convert ADSL folks over as quickly as possible.
Would have kept plenty of fixed line customers before they jumped over to wireless and other players.

A good example is Hartbeespoort. An area with reasonable income. A strong existing Telkom copper network. Openserve never even attempted fibre installs in the majority of the town. Just handed a whole area over to Vodacom fibre on a silver platter.

From what I have heard Vodacom fibre is the pitts.
Openserve fibre is really reliable even with loadshedding.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Nothing wrong with Openserve in my opinion.

They could have been a lot better with expansion into existing Telkom area’s making sure they convert ADSL folks over as quickly as possible.
Would have kept plenty of fixed line customers before they jumped over to wireless and other players.

A good example is Hartbeespoort. An area with reasonable income. A strong existing Telkom copper network. Openserve never even attempted fibre installs in the majority of the town. Just handed a whole area over to Vodacom fibre on a silver platter.

From what I have heard Vodacom fibre is the pitts.
Openserve fibre is really reliable even with loadshedding.
I have only once had an extended outage on Openserve (and it was due to cable thieves trying to steal copper and instead damaged fibre), on Vumatel I had endless problems that ironically were only finally solved just after I already had Openserve installed.