Siri, make me a sandwich.

mon_star

Picked my 4s up last night. Initial impressions are great. I switched off the raise to speak feature in Siri, it was draining battery like mad. A little surprised that I had to pay in on the Talk 120 deal.

Anyone else get theirs last night?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Picked my 4s up last night. Initial impressions are great. I switched off the raise to speak feature in Siri, it was draining battery like mad. A little surprised that I had to pay in on the Talk 120 deal.

Word of advice, it's a phone , not a wife substitute. :D

ebendl

Expert Member
Got mine, yes. Siri works way better than expected! Also disabled raise to speak feature. Only wish it would be able to use the UK voice (which picks up my accent great) but with SA services.

Pretty stoked so far!

weelzSA

Expert Member
Where did you get your iPhone 4S from? The MTN store in Canal Walk told me there stock didn't arrive yet. So just want to know where everyone collected there phones from?

Avenue

Expert Member
when will you ever use siri? maybe if you driving I can see the point, but seeing as how that is illegal and all

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

Got mine this morning - where do you turn off this feature of Siri?

Thanks

Jakes147

Expert Member
when will you ever use siri? maybe if you driving I can see the point, but seeing as how that is illegal and all

Stop trolling, go to the apple website and see for yourself what you could use Siri for.

mon_star

Got mine this morning - where do you turn off this feature of Siri?

Thanks

Settings > General > Siri > Raise to speak - switch to off.

I also turned location services off. It doesn't drain battery as much, but I don't really need it. I'd rather just say to Siri "What's the weather in Joburg like today." instead of "What's the weather like today." Bad example, but you get my drift.

Siri working very nicely with the built-in bluetooth on my new picanto. No more looking at my lap while driving :D

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Settings > General > Siri > Raise to speak - switch to off.

I also turned location services off. It doesn't drain battery as much, but I don't really need it. I'd rather just say to Siri "What's the weather in Joburg like today." instead of "What's the weather like today." Bad example, but you get my drift.

Siri working very nicely with the built-in bluetooth on my new picanto. No more looking at my lap while driving :D

Thanks, Siri is not turned on I see, as you mentioned Bluetooth, can you use Siri to turn Bluetooth/Wireless on and off etc.

Sodding iPhone has blown all my airtime :) and I have yet to figure out how to put more on, still playing nicely with the phone configuring things, and trying new apps (made sure my Wi-Fi was switched on), will get to the airtime problem later I guess :(

Avenue

Expert Member
I take it you use an Android device then..?

Stop trolling, go to the apple website and see for yourself what you could use Siri for.

nope not trolling and I have an old nokia. I still have no idea what I would ever use voice commands for. The idea just seems like a gimmick that's fun to have for the first week but not very practical. I cant see my self walking though the shops blurting commands at my phone.

Last edited:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
nope not trolling and I have an old nokia. I still have no idea what I would ever use voice commands for. The idea just seems like a gimmick that's fun to have for the first week but not very practical. I cant see my self walking though the shops blurting commands at my phone.

+1

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

Climb into you car, say "Connect to car bluetooth" when you climb out "Disconnect car bluetooth" very farfetched ... not

sand_man

Honorary Master
It's a very handy feature to use while driving no? It can read your incoming messages and emails as well as respond to them and no need for the user to take their eyes off the road.

Does Siri have a built in turn by turn voice navigation feature?

Avenue

Expert Member
It's a very handy feature to use while driving no? It can read your incoming messages and emails as well as respond to them and no need for the user to take their eyes off the road.

yes, I can understand that voice commands while driving could be useful

mon_star

Thanks, Siri is not turned on I see, as you mentioned Bluetooth, can you use Siri to turn Bluetooth/Wireless on and off etc.

Sodding iPhone has blown all my airtime :) and I have yet to figure out how to put more on, still playing nicely with the phone configuring things, and trying new apps (made sure my Wi-Fi was switched on), will get to the airtime problem later I guess :(

Yes Siri isn't on by default as Apple still describes it as a beta product. I think they are adding the ability to control phone functions like wifi etc in upcoming updates.

Turn by turn I think will be a part of iOS6. I predict Apple is trying to break free from Google Maps and that's why it has taken so long for this to arrive. As for the driving, it can read messages, and respond. Dictation is very good considering there is no official South African accent support yet. I find it works perfectly fine with the American and English accent settings for me.

vinodh

Expert Member

Is that because you'll be embarrassed or because you don't think it it will work? When cellphones first arrived in SA, people used to say the same thing: they don't see themselves standing around talking into a phone in the middle of a mall. Maybe it will grow on you.

One thing that really pisses me off to this day is when people stare at you and are appearing to be talking to you but are actually speaking into their Bluetooth earpiece. The idea of looking elsewhere obvious escapes them.

Jakes147

Expert Member
I like the set reminders when I do something feature, ex. Remind me to phone the wife when I leave work, then when you leave work it will remind you that you have to phone your wife and then bring up the number and ask you if you want to dial the number. Will save me lots of arguments.