Sit, Stay, Good boy! The dog thread.

acidrain

Expert Member
Have you considered a rawfood diet?

I've been doing a lot of reading on foods the last while. And there seems to be many going for a raw food diet as it does not contain the grain and chemicals of pellets.

It seems to make a huge difference to their hair and skin. And many say it is very good for them inside.
Yeah I did and she does have that in her diet. Normal supper time consist of a bowl: 1/2 cup pellets, pack of chicken mince or chicken livers, steemed broccoli and sprinkle of chia and hemp seeds.

I would try the whole raw chicken but she is a gulper so the bones would be a problem for her specifically.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Yeah I did and she does have that in her diet. Normal supper time consist of a bowl: 1/2 cup pellets, pack of chicken mince or chicken livers, steemed broccoli and sprinkle of chia and hemp seeds.

I would try the whole raw chicken but she is a gulper so the bones would be a problem for her specifically.
My girlfriends parents put their dogs on raw food, raw food made specifically for pets so it contains no bones but it is expensive. Both dogs are a lot better in numerous ways on raw food versus traditional pellet food, I wish our oldest would eat raw food but she has never taken a liking to it so we are trying Acana at the moment.

Venomous

Honorary Master

No no no.

Chicken livers in SA are full of crap due to the chemicals that are pumped into the chickens for growth and/or laying.
Never chicken livers.

There are a few online/delivery places you can order from if they are not near you.

One of the ones I found are www.pro-pet.co.za

You can mix some of their greentripe with pet mince, beef, lamb or pork mince too and then only sometimes chicken meat, but never chicken bones for bigger dogs.

I grew up with our dogs getting big raw bones, never small or cooked bones.

If you get the balance right you can get rid of the pellets and add her suplements to the raw food.

The_Mowgs

Executive Member
There's also Raw Gold. I am attaching their pricelist but I have no affiliation with them at all. I dont know them nor do I derive commission from them. I used them previously with great results.

Venomous

Honorary Master
There's also Raw Gold. I am attaching their pricelist but I have no affiliation with them at all. I dont know them nor do I derive commission from them. I used them previously with great results.
Thanks!

So will add them to the list of sites/brands to watch.

acidrain

Expert Member
No no no.

Chicken livers in SA are full of crap due to the chemicals that are pumped into the chickens for growth and/or laying.
Never chicken livers.

I grew up with our dogs getting big raw bones, never small or cooked bones.

If you get the balance right you can get rid of the pellets and add her suplements to the raw food.
Noted. Will refrain from the chicken livers then. What about ox liver? She has a proper appetite for livers and sardines it seems, more so than mince meet.

On a side of chicken bones (and it's probably not wise to take youtube for fact) but there are some youtubers on raw feeding that say raw chicken thighs are quite good, especially the bones as they hold a lot of nutrients in them. The only thing they advise is that it's more for dogs that were brought up with raw feeding from the start as they learn to chew and chew properly. Raw bones essentially turn to dust and don't splinter when crushed unlike cooked bones that splinter.

Gulpers would just chew two or three times, ingesting those whole bones which will cause problems. If you have the time though, you can remove the bones and pound them in a mortar, adding the crushed bones to the food after.

Good find, will have a look at this. Pricing is pretty good. The sardines are especially attractive. Man my dog loves sardines.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Noted. Will refrain from the chicken livers then. What about ox liver? She has a proper appetite for livers and sardines it seems, more so than mince meet.

On a side of chicken bones (and it's probably not wise to take youtube for fact) but there are some youtubers on raw feeding that say raw chicken thighs are quite good, especially the bones as they hold a lot of nutrients in them. The only thing they advise is that it's more for dogs that were brought up with raw feeding from the start as they learn to chew and chew properly. Raw bones essentially turn to dust and don't splinter when crushed unlike cooked bones that splinter.

Gulpers would just chew two or three times, ingesting those whole bones which will cause problems. If you have the time though, you can remove the bones and pound them in a mortar, adding the crushed bones to the food after.

Good find, will have a look at this. Pricing is pretty good. The sardines are especially attractive. Man my dog loves sardines.
Other livers could be ok.

I've known a dog (was a friend's growing up) that ate chicken from very young. You could see it smell the food before eating it. Almost looked like it was deciding how to eat it. It never gulped it's food. This one that we are adopting - I have my suspicions that he has never had raw bones. I know he's on some expensive dog pellets. So that will have to change.

He's also very much lacking in terms of some aspects of on the leash training, and wants to attack every dog that barks at him through gates. So that will have to change. When there is nothing around then he walks well next to a person. But while he does sometimes get taken to the park (current owners) I don't think he was walked about in a neighbourhood anywhere. I've ordered a training collar containing a small section of chain designed to tighten on the back muscle and things will soon change. collar is designed not to choke the dog.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Meet Sugar, the doggo we adopted last month's kennel-mate.

Four years old and still full of life, yet she doesn't enjoy playing ball as much as Coach does:

Maybe she hasn't learnt that before.

Some dogs naturally love playing ball, others prefer a rope or a soft toy. Other dogs need to be trained to even go after the ball/throw thing as they simply seem to just not get it. Those ones can be trained if you have other fetching dogs around cos they will learnt be seeing and wanting to please you.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Maybe she hasn't learnt that before.

Some dogs naturally love playing ball, others prefer a rope or a soft toy. Other dogs need to be trained to even go after the ball/throw thing as they simply seem to just not get it. Those ones can be trained if you have other fetching dogs around cos they will learnt be seeing and wanting to please you.
I suspect this too actually. Not that it bothers us at all, as it seems play is not really in her nature. The other one still loves his ball so at least he can keep himself entertained. She just yearns to give affection all the time and it really does break my heart to know that there are about 200-odd more doggos that need homes at Save-a-Pet.

I'd adopt them all, but I think the neighbours would complain:ROFL:

Venomous

Honorary Master
I suspect this too actually. Not that it bothers us at all, as it seems play is not really in her nature. The other one still loves his ball so at least he can keep himself entertained. She just yearns to give affection all the time and it really does break my heart to know that there are about 200-odd more doggos that need homes at Save-a-Pet.

I'd adopt them all, but I think the neighbours would complain:ROFL:
Bwhahahahaha,

Right where we stay there is only really the SPCA. And I'm not overly keen on supporting them. So we put out messges on a few chat groups and searched the net.

We had met this owner before and seen the dog, so it was easy alround on the "judgrment process".
Doing it like this we can gently move him over, visits, then sleep over and visits mixed, until he's here more than there.

We've been offered many dogs that are at their end needing expensive food and meds. While I pity those dogs I get mad at those owners. Their dogs loved them for so long, and now in old age they want to discard their loyal pets!

But saying that..
There is another that is tugging at us. We are very well aquinted with one of her (very much adult) pups, as he's by friends of ours. Her owners are doing the big nasty D word so they are trying to find a home for her as they will both be moving to smaller places, not leaving her much room, and she's a very large breed boerboel with papers etc. And no health issues.
What makes me hesitant is that I am not sure if I want to adopt 2 large breed dogs at the same time. Remember big boy(pics) is already 2, so he's strong and will get stronger. She's a hell of a lot stronger than him already. So that could possibly be a bit much.

I'm not really one for small dogs. So I need to chose wizely in order to make the right decision firstly for us as regret and frustration are never good.