Sit, Stay, Good boy! The dog thread.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Has anyone's dog here had a mouth wart, like this (below is a pic from the net, but looks the same)

If yes did you treat it, or let it go away on it's own? Seen some horrific pics on the net of dogs with serious amounts of these things - just hope the one that our girl has doesn't become a whole mouthful of them.
Strangely enough, last week when we took Bentley to be spayed there was a couple there with their dog and we started chatting. They were there to have a wart in their loved ones mouth checked out also .

acidrain

Expert Member
Destroyer of everything

My first husky after only ever having German shepherds. I had no idea how destructive they can be even with more than 500m² of garden and walks to the river. She's now 1.

I had to put in a sliding pedestrian gate at the driveway as she would bolt out the minute I open the gate and run down the road taunting me to. Would take a good 10 minutes to get her back in. Even my GSD gets upset with her when she runs out and I have to chase her to get her back in. He would just sit at the open gate.
Has the digging started?

I had that issue and was easy to know when she was out digging. Snout full of dirt.

OCP

Expert Member
This 1 year old Ridgeback just go flat out through/over any plant/obstacle.
Our border collie's nickename (one of many) is wipeout as he also goes through/over/under anything!
my eldest has been "wiped-out" twice with him running from behind with a stick and going through her legs + there was the time we came home to find him very proudly wearing the remains of the catflap :)

Venomous

Honorary Master
Our border collie's nickename (one of many) is wipeout as he also goes through/over/under anything!
my eldest has been "wiped-out" twice with him running from behind with a stick and going through her legs + there was the time we came home to find him very proudly wearing the remains of the catflap :)
Bwhahahahahaha

Hamster

Resident Rodent
We've been offered a gorgous boerboel x lab boy who's just turned 2. Absolutely lovely temprement. So no issues there. They will be moving overseas (his work, so not planned) and cannot take the boy with. Can't recall the reason, but they cant take him though they would prefer to take him. Our gain their loss.
My bet is because he is part Boerbul which is banned in many countries.

That's one of the concerns we sit with. We really want dogs but will look at possibly emigrating some time or at least want to keep the option open.

Cost considerations aside (one reason we don't have any pets at the moment, that and kennels, vets etc.) the breed is another. I really LOVE staffies but they too are banned in some countries.

But we want an "alarm" in the house so we are pondering our options.

Venomous

Honorary Master
My bet is because he is part Boerbul which is banned in many countries.

That's one of the concerns we sit with. We really want dogs but will look at possibly emigrating some time or at least want to keep the option open.

Cost considerations aside (one reason we don't have any pets at the moment, that and kennels, vets etc.) the breed is another. I really LOVE staffies but they too are banned in some countries.

But we want an "alarm" in the house so we are pondering our options.
Maybe look at the countries you would consider as an option, then see what is banned there. I know german shepherds are banned in singapore.

For the vet bills. There is always pet insurance.

Also our local vet offers discounts on Tues for annual jabs. So ask your Vet about running specials.

Had big boy jabbed, dewormed, general assessment check and chipped for under R800.
The chip was R245.
These Tuesday ones are done by appointment only, so they can leave time to see other pets inbetween.

I walked in about 10min late. I called about an hour before as I could see I was going to run into time trouble. Lady was "no problem" if an ill pet arrives she'll send them in first.
I walked out not even 15min after arriving with that all done and paid for.

He weighs nearly 42Kgs, and those are not fat Kgs. He still needs to bulk out in the chest so he's likely to end up heavier.
We'll have to watch his food and make sure he gets exercise so he doesn't get fat as really big dogs pick up serious joint problems if they get badly over weight.

In terms of "alarms"

Some big dogs won't really warn you before. You'll wake up hearing the attack on the intruder.

We've had to think long and hard about it... There have been assholes 2stepping dogs in an area less than 10km from us.
If he is outside we have to turn off most of the outside beams. If we have them adjusted up then perps can easily go under the beams.

If he's in the yard and beams are off they can poison him and easily gain access.

If he's in the house the outside alarm can fully function and he can bite their balls off if they enter uninvited. He does seem to pay attention if a car stops outside or if a person approaches the gate.

He has quite a deep bark it sent the beggar, that was knocking on the gate, running at quite the sprint yesterday.

He's very attached to me and he's decided that while he'll take snack food from Mr he'll only eat if I give him food and stand there until he's done.

I wish he'll take food from us both, but I'm glad it seems like he won't take food from other people.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The SPCA also has specials for the chips on occasion, got my cat and two of my dogs done for R300 total.