Sit, Stay, Good boy! The dog thread.

SAguy

Expert Member
Try talking to your vet about calming medication... But also talk to a behaviorist to see if maybe something you are doing is reinforcing the behavior.

The little one pictured above is a permanent ball of nerves and it's driven me up the wall but I know that some of it is down to me so I've had to work hard on myself to stop reinforcing the behavior and slowly but surely it is reaping its rewards... She spent an hour this evening sleeping on my lap cuddling her teddy... A year ago she would have destroyed the teddy in 5 minutes and then been charging around the garden.
Yeah, it becomes a snowball effect. The more she's anxious, the more I get anxious, so the more she gets anxious.

Glad to hear your dog is better, gives me some motivation.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah, it becomes a snowball effect. The more she's anxious, the more I get anxious, so the more she gets anxious.

Glad to hear your dog is better, gives me some motivation.
I've had 3 problem dogs recently and one thing I've learnt is almost all issues are fixable and at least 50% of issues stem from the owners and not the dog...

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
My first Xmas without Dante' , on the right. Going to kill the bastard that stole him.

The pit on the left has been crying for weeks on end.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
So sorry dude...

When you find the bastard give us all a shout we want a piece of kicking his ass before you end his sorry existence.

Reactions: OCP

SAguy

Expert Member
My first Xmas without Dante' , on the right. Going to kill the bastard that stole him.

The pit on the left has been crying for weeks on end.
Hope the little guy is found soon, and if not - hope he is being treated well wherever he has been taken. :crying:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Nah he is definitely stolen. He manage to get out of the yard a week's ago, played Infront of the house, then vanished. No one in the neighbourhood saw him.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Love my dog 1 year old ridgeback so much, she's well behaved in that she never damages anything or counter surfs. We have no children so she's our everything, but things are becoming so hard.

She is anxious and territorial with visitors, to the point where she's aggressive and confrontational. Whenever someone walks past the house, even if she's inside she goes ballistic. So every 30 minutes if someone walks by we have to get up, usher her away from the window and spend 10 minutes calming her down.

Then our neighbours cats... she sees or hears one in the middle of the night and then it's chaos as we try get her to settle down. Can't even watch tv with her in the room if there are any animals on.

This in turn has given me levels of anxiety I don't know if I can deal with for another 10-12 years. We had a guest over now, and after a 10 minute intro time in the front yard with the dog we came in. Later the lady got up to go to the bathroom and my dog charged after her, luckily I managed to get my dogs attention.

This is hard. Makes me wish holidays were over so I could be back at work. We've had a behaviourist over and it has helped a bit, but it's still so difficult. Again, this is our baby and she's a dream when it's quiet outside and it's just us... but the rest of the time I'm just regretting this decision to get her.
She is currently your pack leader in her eyes.
You need to dominate her. If she is in your walking path keep walking and simply push her out of your way. As a big dog she wont get hurt if you push with your thigh or knee.

When she lies in a door way. And you need to pass through dont climb over tell her to move. If she doesnt nudge her with your toes until she looks at you then tell her to move.

Othertimes lean over her and hug her.

If she is over the top when you get home ignore her for 10min. Walk "through" her and look the other way if she wants eye contact.

Single word instructions are good. Wait, good wait, sit, good sit.

When you leash walk her fun 15-20% after she has worked for it. She should walk with her head by your hip/thigh depending your height. More behind than next to.
If she walk infront you are her responsibility and again she leads you. Slower walking is actually harder for them as they then need to focus.

Rather than avoid people invite more over and take her places. Lol a trip to fill pertol and back can even be used to teach her stuff.

It's hard work, but not impossible.

Feeding time.
Sit, good sit.
Then you say wait
Put food down. She must wait until you say good wait. If she pounces take the food away and wait 5min.

Re the gate.
Own the gate when she jumps and barks at people and dogs.
Your back to the gate.
Your only words: my gate, sit.
You must stay between her and the gate.
And unless she sits on the first sit do not say good sit, coz it was not good.

I can keep typing for hours.

I've been going through similar until that stricter training we had 2 brats.
Took about 10 days before more success than not. By now i have 2 tails even at home.

Each dog is different. Our female hates her tail being touch so I advise visitors that can touch or tap anywhere but must not even stroke her tail. Our boy (46kgs) enjoys a hug. While he will be hesitant of stranger adult hugs be thrives on kiddie hugs. He is very cuddly so friends and even strangers kids wanna jump at a hug..
Female is not so trusting and moves away so i advise caution.

She is a rescue and we suspect her tail was badly injured by someone(s). In the mean time i play with her tail and push my luck when others are not around so only I can get injured. Over 3 months that has improved drastically since then.

She was badly manged, staved and badly injured when the shelter found her. Now she sleeps in with 2 good meals a day and treats most days.

Reactions: OCP

Moereloos

Last night while having supper Max, my 10 year old Jack Russel, walked towards the table like a chameleon. He'd lift one leg, sway back and forth for a bit, then take a step forward. Every now-and-then it looked like he was going to fall over. Quickly took him to the vet who said he had a stroke. His pupils did not react to light and he was extremely 'confused'. She gave him an injection and sent him home with a hand full of pills for the next few days. My wife put him on the couch next to her where he promptly fell asleep.
When it was time for bed I sent the other two dogs out for a wee but left him on the couch. After their ablutions it is habit to give them a Beeno each before bed and when Max heard the Beeno bottle he came running to the kitchen, still a bit side ways like a crab, but he sat and ate his Beeno.
This morning I was relieved to see he was back to normal. He ate his breakfast without any noticeable problems, ran back to the room and jumped back onto his bed as per usual.

This photo was taken last night when I still thought it might be the last time we get to see him alive.
20200106_204906.jpg

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Last night while having supper Max, my 10 year old Jack Russel, walked towards the table like a chameleon. He'd lift one leg, sway back and forth for a bit, then take a step forward. Every now-and-then it looked like he was going to fall over. Quickly took him to the vet who said he had a stroke. His pupils did not react to light and he was extremely 'confused'. She gave him an injection and sent him home with a hand full of pills for the next few days. My wife put him on the couch next to her where he promptly fell asleep.
When it was time for bed I sent the other two dogs out for a wee but left him on the couch. After their ablutions it is habit to give them a Beeno each before bed and when Max heard the Beeno bottle he came running to the kitchen, still a bit side ways like a crab, but he sat and ate his Beeno.
This morning I was relieved to see he was back to normal. He ate his breakfast without any noticeable problems, ran back to the room and jumped back onto his bed as per usual.

This photo was taken last night when I still thought it might be the last time we get to see him alive.
View attachment 763128
Really glad for the quick recovery. Dogs are resilient little creatures. I am really happy for you.

SAguy

Expert Member

View attachment 763128
Happy to hear Max is ok, we also had a bit of a scare one evening - didn't sleep a wink that night.

yebocan

Executive Member
Love my dog 1 year old ridgeback so much, she's well behaved in that she never damages anything or counter surfs. We have no children so she's our everything, but things are becoming so hard.

She is anxious and territorial with visitors, to the point where she's aggressive and confrontational. Whenever someone walks past the house, even if she's inside she goes ballistic. So every 30 minutes if someone walks by we have to get up, usher her away from the window and spend 10 minutes calming her down.

Then our neighbours cats... she sees or hears one in the middle of the night and then it's chaos as we try get her to settle down. Can't even watch tv with her in the room if there are any animals on.

This in turn has given me levels of anxiety I don't know if I can deal with for another 10-12 years. We had a guest over now, and after a 10 minute intro time in the front yard with the dog we came in. Later the lady got up to go to the bathroom and my dog charged after her, luckily I managed to get my dogs attention.

This is hard. Makes me wish holidays were over so I could be back at work. We've had a behaviourist over and it has helped a bit, but it's still so difficult. Again, this is our baby and she's a dream when it's quiet outside and it's just us... but the rest of the time I'm just regretting this decision to get her.
Are you sure she is getting the right nutrition ...? I have a German Shepard - Ridgeback X , - took me a while to get his zinc intake right. I got him from foster care, and they were totally over Zinc'ing him. Way too much energy, barking, hears a noise outside and goes mad.
Started reading up on his lineage, both sides and boom...ZINC, the levels plus what form of it he absorbs best. Went through a couple of brands of food, and supplements ...now he is laid back, chilled, calm and so much happier and just a pleasure to have around.