Sites for Completely Free and Legal Software!

PhireSide

Executive Member
I am not sure if this has been posted before, but this is a handy tool to prevent Windows from sleeping and locking the computer (handy if you work from home and have a policy enabled that locks the screen after 5 minutes) by simulating mouse movement:

https://mousejiggler.codeplex.com/

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I am not sure if this has been posted before, but this is a handy tool to prevent Windows from sleeping and locking the computer (handy if you work from home and have a policy enabled that locks the screen after 5 minutes) by simulating mouse movement:

https://mousejiggler.codeplex.com/
But you can just set Windows to not sleep in the power settings?

PhireSide

Executive Member
Aye, but my work lappie still locks after five minutes of inactivity. Which I can understand in a corporate environment from a security point of view but not necessary when I am at home with no one else here :)

geezer

Expert Member
Aye, but my work lappie still locks after five minutes of inactivity. Which I can understand in a corporate environment from a security point of view but not necessary when I am at home with no one else here :)
I make use of a program called "DontSleep" http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/DontSleep

"Don't Sleep is a small portable program to prevent system shutdown, Standby, Hibernate, Turn Off and Restart."

Daruk

Honorary Master
Lol corporate IT fail. Restrictive policies but allow installation of unapproved software

PhireSide

Executive Member
Luckily I need local admin rights for the work I do, but the program is a run-only .exe that doesn't need to be installed :)

@Geezer I'll check that one out, thanks

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Is OpenOffice Shutting Down? 4 Great Free Office Suite Alternatives

Back in the year 2002, we got a taste of what it would be like to not pay for Microsoft Office. Sun Microsystems released OpenOffice, a completely free office suite, which rivaled Microsoft Office’s offerings. But the sun might be setting on that legendary software.

OpenOffice was a trend setter. Users got a word processor, a spreadsheet, a presentation program, and a few other apps. It was a free download that worked on all platforms, including Linux, which Microsoft never supported. It was the best free office suite not made by Microsoft.

But now, Ars Technica is reporting that OpenOffice might be shutting down soon. Ever since Apache took over the software, it has been largely neglected. Most developers who helped with the open-source project moved to LibreOffice, a better Microsoft Office alternative that rose from OpenOffice’s neglect.
If OpenOffice itself is saying you should look elsewhere, maybe it’s time to drop it and adopt a new, free office suite. Here are the best free and low-cost alternatives to OpenOffice....
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/openoffice-shutting-4-great-free-office-suite-alternatives/

JohnSmith75

Any multi-solution for installing drivers on laptops without internet connection? Remember i saw one, long time ago, but can't find it(

PhireSide

Executive Member
DriverPack Solution? You can download the ISO file (big) and run it via Daemon Tools. Not sure if it's free though

Stormer12

DriverPack Solution? You can download the ISO file (big) and run it via Daemon Tools. Not sure if it's free though
DriverPack is free. its about 14gb in size.

Only use Snappydrivers if Driverpack fails to find driver.

Friedpet

Hello. I'm looking for an Excel replacement where the Find & Replace function is able to find certain strings and change the format of that cell e.g. background colour. Right now I have PlanMaker and LibreOffice Calc but they can't seem to do it. Kingsoft Office Spreadsheet was able to do it, but the adds got too much for me.

isie

Honorary Master
Hello. I'm looking for an Excel replacement where the Find & Replace function is able to find certain strings and change the format of that cell e.g. background colour. Right now I have PlanMaker and LibreOffice Calc but they can't seem to do it. Kingsoft Office Spreadsheet was able to do it, but the adds got too much for me.
don't know if it does it, but google sheets?
its cloud based so no waste in trying don't have to install or download anything

Raithlin

Executive Member
Microsoft Office Online? Only needs a live account. Dunno if it has that advanced functionality tho.