Six years, suspended, for motorist who rammed into roadblock, killing two

gamer16

Honorary Master
Geez, you get 7 years for theft of a R0.50 item but nada for this?

Lekker in Suid Afrika.

noxibox

Honorary Master
As for the judge - the accused saying he is sorry is not enough escape responsibility for his actions when he broke the law and as a result of it, took 2 lives. The judge literally said that although the accused broke the law he did a good job of showing he was sorry.
The courts in South Africa and other countries opened that door when they decided to base sentencing on whether the defendant shows remorse. Because of that the judge is just following current protocol. Although even so the sentence seems rather low.

I would query whether he was actually on prescription drugs... If the affidavit was just his then I would very definitely question it. Should have been easy enough to confirm with his doctor.
Don't know if he did prove it, but other articles indicate he was required to provide evidence to back up his claim.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Driving while high on prescribed pills plus alcohol...wtf was he even thinking? I remember having a few shots of whiskey and taking diazepam once mistakenly thinking it couldn't hurt. Faaark me the entire world was spinning and I felt like I was walking on air.
And amnesia?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
The fact that the judge and the defendant in this case are white really makes this look bad. It sends the message that your colour determines your worth.
“His [driving] licence is not even revoked. My sister was essentially worth R10,000 - or maybe because she was black she gets to be treated like this?" said Mokgolo's sister June, 32.
Aaaand, we're off....................

wombling

The courts in South Africa and other countries opened that door when they decided to base sentencing on whether the defendant shows remorse. Because of that the judge is just following current protocol. Although even so the sentence seems rather low.

Don't know if he did prove it, but other articles indicate he was required to provide evidence to back up his claim.
I don't dispute what you say but that really seems silly. So if Hitler said sorry in today's age, all would be forgiven right? An extreme example I admit but it makes the point. My feeling is that remorse should have zero impact. This is because remorse could be simply because they were caught. Saying sorry doesn't bring back the dead person.

LaraC

Honorary Master
The sentence does not fit the crime.

It makes one question how objective is our Judiciary is.

wombling

Aaaand, we're off....................
So I do understand that a drunk white driver killing 2 black people is a coincidence and not a racist conspiracy. Then a white judge helps this guy get away with it. Likely also a coincidence. Heaven knows South Africa's legal system is more screwed up than many would believe. Consider how this looks in the international arena when South Africa is known almost exclusively because of black and white segregation. This was on CNN. We do have a serious problem with drivers under the influence of alcohol. It would have been the ideal time to throw the book at him and let him rot in jail.

zophas

The courts in South Africa and other countries opened that door when they decided to base sentencing on whether the defendant shows remorse.
Remorse can be faked.

Oops. Sorry I should not have said that. Sorry.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
So I do understand that a drunk white driver killing 2 black people is a coincidence and not a racist conspiracy. Then a white judge helps this guy get away with it. Likely also a coincidence. Heaven knows South Africa's legal system is more screwed up than many would believe. Consider how this looks in the international arena when South Africa is known almost exclusively because of black and white segregation. This was on CNN. We do have a serious problem with drivers under the influence of alcohol. It would have been the ideal time to throw the book at him and let him rot in jail.
So every time a black judge finds a white defendant guilty...what then? Or when a black judge, let's a black defendant off?

Stopping these ridiculous "race comparisons" would the FIRST step in fixing this country..NOT making an international example of this drunk driver...

Craig

Honorary Master
The courts in this country seems to be an inconsistent joke. I also don't think that this is a colour thing, but some money probably exchanged hands. In this country, no matter your colour, but if you have money you can seemingly buy justice.

wombling

So every time a black judge finds a white defendant guilty...what then? Or when a black judge, let's a black defendant off?

Stopping these ridiculous "race comparisons" would the FIRST step in fixing this country..NOT making an international example of this drunk driver...
There are 2 problems here. Firstly it looks bad for South Africa when a white guy under the influence of alcohol actually gets away with murdering 2 people. If you think the rest of the world doesn't see race in this specific case you're nuts. South Africa's history is how its seen internationally today. They want to see black and white people getting along. Instead they see articles like this one.

Lastly the justice system in SA is considered a joke. The first time I noticed that was the Oscar Pistorius trial. The judge in this latest case seems to enforce that belief. South Africa generally has a really bad problem with drunk drivers. The example needed here is not for the international community but for South Africans that like to drink and drive.

You saying "stop these ridiculous race comparisons" is the same as telling the international community - "don't judge us". Good luck with that.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
There are 2 problems here. Firstly it looks bad for South Africa when a white guy under the influence of alcohol actually gets away with murdering 2 people. If you think the rest of the world doesn't see race in this specific case you're nuts. South Africa's history is how its seen internationally today. They want to see black and white people getting along. Instead they see articles like this one.

Lastly the justice system in SA is considered a joke. The first time I noticed that was the Oscar Pistorius trial. The judge in this latest case seems to enforce that belief. South Africa generally has a really bad problem with drunk drivers. The example needed here is not for the international community but for South Africans that like to drink and drive.

You saying "stop these ridiculous race comparisons" is the same as telling the international community - "don't judge us". Good luck with that.
Its people like you that should stop with this colour and race obsession kak!

krycor

Honorary Master
Not sure.. but would be interesting to see his legal bill. As I said in another thread.. SA vs equality even in law is a joke as access to lawyers & legal advice heavily changed outcomes vs someone who gets a state appointed defence (similar to US crap system).

I’m wondering if civil case will follow for compensation/damages via Afriforum as if the families have lost breadwinners.. yah that’s a HUGE impact and to a line of work that’s quite unforgiving for the non-corrupt.