Size limit on gifs thread.

cn@

Expert Member
Is it possible to set a size limit on the Gifs thread in the Off Topic section and if it is, can we please get?

Some people are posting gifs that should be videos and it takes ages for anything to load.

I realise with hotlinking forum mechanisms wouldn't really work but can we at least have a firm set of instructions for people that would like to post a gif?

genetic

Honorary Master
Is it possible to set a size limit on the Gifs thread in the Off Topic section and if it is, can we please get?

Some people are posting gifs that should be videos and it takes ages for anything to load.
Upgrade your internet connection.

saor

Honorary Master
I realise with hotlinking forum mechanisms wouldn't really work but can we at least have a firm set of instructions for people that would like to post a gif?
Ja look I cba to check filesizes before posting gifs, and I'm guessing that's the same for most people. You have an example of a gif that should be a video?

gamer16

Honorary Master
Would it not be better to have the Gif's show up as a thumbnail and only load when clicked? Sure there must be a way to set it up as such.

a man has kindly provided a tutorial below.

Last edited:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
https://www.pcmag.com/article/345706/how-to-stop-animated-gifs-from-auto-playing-in-your-browser

Chrome
There's no built-in facility to kill animated-GIF playback on Google's browser. You'll need an extension from the Google Web Store to stop them.

• Gif Jam (Animation Stopper) will show just the first frame of any GIF that tries to load.
  • Animation Policy lets you set up a policy for how to handle a GIF: let it run once (and only once) or disable auto-play altogether.
  • Gif Stopper lets you stop all the animations on a page with a stroke of the Esc key (leaving a blank white space where the image used to be).
  • Gif Delayer won't stop them playing but does delay them until all the GIFs on the page are fully loaded, so you're not waiting around, watching stuttering, half-started animations.