biometrics

Honorary Master
Now with 2500 radio telescopes to be build from 2016 until 2034
2034 - 2016 = 18 years = 6574 days
6574 / 2500 = a telescope built every 2.6 days

Quite a project.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Its a mammoth project and will prove invaluable to this country in my opinion.

Africaner

The article talks about astronomers coming to South Africa and elevated levels of interest in astronomy. How would this help my gardener?

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
The article talks about astronomers coming to South Africa and elevated levels of interest in astronomy. How would this help my gardener?
Maybe you should help your gardener, while SKA can create employment in the Karoo and give bursaries to promising local youngsters.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Don't think it will, unless his child is inspired by it ...

McT

The Humble Scot!
Another government spin story
Maybe, but Minister Pandor is a bazillion times more credible than her peers. Personally, this ain't spin. This is an awesome get for our country.

phiber

Expert Member
Finally we will be the center of a large number of scientific finders, now this is no LHC but it is still quite significant and will stead SA well in the science community if we can get this right.

grok

Honorary Master
Agree this is a big win, but still I can't help but ask will they get their handbooks in time? :eek: :p

Bern

Expert Member
Are you just trying to be an dick? Seriously you don't think the billions of R coming in to SA due to the project and massive skills improvement projects are going to make any difference? Then their is the point of creating aspiration, that means kids getting interested in science and maths to get in to astronomy.

drukkie

Expert Member
Wonder how much of those billions will find a way to the goverment pockets....
I can see the headlines "SKA scandal - probe launched" hahahaha

but yeah...really good for south africa. seriously...

grok

Honorary Master
Are you just trying to be an dick? Seriously you don't think the billions of R coming in to SA due to the project and massive skills improvement projects are going to make any difference? Then their is the point of creating aspiration, that means kids getting interested in science and maths to get in to astronomy.
I think the point he was trying to make was yeah it's good but even all you said still doesn't benefit his gardener directly.

abzo

Honorary Master
Yeah let's just scrap the entire project because it's not helping our gardeners.

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
I think the point he was trying to make was yeah it's good but even all you said still doesn't benefit his gardener directly.
How can it ever? SKA is not supposed to have a direct impact on every single person in the country, but it will make a big impact on many. It was a silly question to ask. As I said before, he is the employer of his gardener. If anyone must make a difference in his gardeners life and uplift him, it should be him.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
well if you are underpaying your gardener and one of the middle income employees on the project offers your gardener a better wage your gardener can expect to see his wages go up. Of course if there are lots of unemployed gardeners (which there are) more employment for gardeners will see wages the same but job security go up.