(Skyworth) Android TV vs. (Chrome-)Cast and which 65 or 55" to buy?

gulli

I cut dstv and TV ties long ago and have been using a Chromecast stick on the HDMI port of my old 40" TV to watch Netflix/Primevideo/Youtube for all my video needs.

I now want to get a bigger screen, as I'm sitting as far as 6 meters away from the TV, when watching and would love your advice and up:

- is there any reason to get Android TV, if (Chrome-)Cast does it for me? I look at the two following options:

The SKYWORTH 55 INCH G6 UHD for R 9 299.99 is nice, the 65" version for R16999.99 is out of my budget.

Anyone got experience with JVC or even their UHD TVs? I'm now realizing, that I can also go bigger and get a
65" JVC UHD TV for R9,989.00 or 11k.

I doubt, that their Android 4.4 is good for anything, I'd get a Chromecast Ultra, so only the screen performance matters - is that any good? In a previous discussion voices were outspoken against JVC...

PDF_27

I would avoid JVC. They aren't really very good in my opinion. With the regards to the Skyworth Android TV, I have heard the OS is rooted, so you might encounter issues with certain apps like Dstv now, as they will not work on rooted devices. They are fairly new so I'm sure there are going to be some bugs on the OS.

I would suggest if you are happy to cast via Chromecast, then stick with it. otherwise, if its an android TV you're after, I would rather suggest buying an android TV box such as Mi Box or Telkom Lit. Both are google certified and have Chromecast built in.

As for screen performance, I recommend Hisense (M series) or Samsung. Having owned a few brands, those 2 were way better for me picture quality-wise.

hope that helps.

Sumen

Expert Member
I cut dstv and TV ties long ago and have been using a Chromecast stick on the HDMI port of my old 40" TV to watch Netflix/Primevideo/Youtube for all my video needs.

I now want to get a bigger screen, as I'm sitting as far as 6 meters away from the TV, when watching and would love your advice and up:

- is there any reason to get Android TV, if (Chrome-)Cast does it for me? I look at the two following options:

The SKYWORTH 55 INCH G6 UHD for R 9 299.99 is nice, the 65" version for R16999.99 is out of my budget.

Anyone got experience with JVC or even their UHD TVs? I'm now realizing, that I can also go bigger and get a
65" JVC UHD TV for R9,989.00 or 11k.

I doubt, that their Android 4.4 is good for anything, I'd get a Chromecast Ultra, so only the screen performance matters - is that any good? In a previous discussion voices were outspoken against JVC...
You can Dump JVC off the list.
Android TV has Chromecast built-in so the the skyworth will be perfect for you and the Panel they use is an LG sourced IPS.

Sumen

Expert Member
I would avoid JVC. They aren't really very good in my opinion. With the regards to the Skyworth Android TV, I have heard the OS is rooted, so you might encounter issues with certain apps like Dstv now, as they will not work on rooted devices. They are fairly new so I'm sure there are going to be some bugs on the OS.

I would suggest if you are happy to cast via Chromecast, then stick with it. otherwise, if its an android TV you're after, I would rather suggest buying an android TV box such as Mi Box or Telkom Lit. Both are google certified and have Chromecast built in.

As for screen performance, I recommend Hisense (M series) or Samsung. Having owned a few brands, those 2 were way better for me picture quality-wise.

hope that helps.
I doubt the Android TV on Skyworth is rooted otherwise Google wouldn't have Certified the tv for Android TV. https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/televisions

Last edited:

gulli

Thanks for the many replies.

Maybe a different twist to my previous question:
Any suggestion which budget 65" 4k TV to buy, if I'm just looking for a 'dumb screen' without smart TV functionality?

I doubt the Android TV on Skyworth is rooted otherwise Google wouldn't have Certified the tv for Android TV. https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/televisions
Just be careful - I got no idea, whether Skyworth is certified, but despite being hosted on sites.google.com the site quoted by you is NOT an official google site, but they're just listing ALL available Android TV devices!
This website is an unofficial list of all Android TV devices available (or soon to be) on the market.
This site has no affiliation with Google
https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/home

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Rather not get a "smart" tv. You pay a heavy premium to have it as part of the tv. It is cheaper to buy a good tv without Android and add an Android box or Android media player. They are far more flexible and you can customise them a lot more. i.e. I have an Android media player that has a 3TB sata hdd plugged into it via a sata port. It not only does all the usual Kodi and streaming, it also serves as a NAS for all my media (video, pics and music) on my home network.

Sumen

Expert Member
Thanks for the many replies.,

Just be careful - I got no idea, whether Skyworth is certified, but despite being hosted on sites.google.com the site quoted by you is NOT an official google site, but they're just listing ALL available Android TV devices!
True but nothing stops you from going in store and asking someone if you check the TV yourself

scoburn

Skyworth G6, 55" Android TV..........cant Mirror Cast

Hi all, I recently took delivery of the 55" Skyworth G6 Android tv but unlike the normal Smart TV, I cant mirror my android mobile phone onto it and according to Neil Pillay at Sinoprima, what I want to do, isn't possible unless I connect to the internet

Does anyone know how I can mirror my phone onto my Skyworth without cables or using data PLEASE

scoburn

When I speak to Sinoprima I sense that A, they seem unsure of their facts and B, that they're hiding something

Lupus

Honorary Master
Try looking at casting instead of mirroring, as it's an Android TV.

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi all, I recently took delivery of the 55" Skyworth G6 Android tv but unlike the normal Smart TV, I cant mirror my android mobile phone onto it and according to Neil Pillay at Sinoprima, what I want to do, isn't possible unless I connect to the internet

Does anyone know how I can mirror my phone onto my Skyworth without cables or using data PLEASE
Hi, I think he meant that the TV and the phone need to be connected to same WiFi network otherwise it won't work.

On most phones they have a cast feature, go into settings and look for the search icon and type"cast", select cast and choose the tv.

Alternatively, download the Google home app.

Andrevanv

Have skyworth 49g6. Until yesterday it worked with dstv now. It is android certified and not rooted.
Dstv now has updated the now app and the tv no longer works, despite dstv saying that they support android certified devices.
Any ideas