Skyworth Binge Android TV box

Dolby

Honorary Master
RCU is confirmed working. Pairing works through our interface as well, but the YouTube, Netflix (obviously) and Google play buttons have no effect.

To be clear, that's the LIT / Ematic remote ?
So it pair and works, aside from the short cut keys ?
What about Google Assistant?

Rohela

I want to pull the trigger on this device would you guys suggest going for the mi box s or this device. Spec-wise they are very similar.

Gamer

Expert Member
I want to pull the trigger on this device would you guys suggest going for the mi box s or this device. Spec-wise they are very similar.
If you want out the box Netflix, go with the mi box. I chose the Binge because I don't use Netflix and wanted hard cable lan.

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
To be clear, that's the LIT / Ematic remote ?
So it pair and works, aside from the short cut keys ?
What about Google Assistant?
That's the one we ordered. Google assistant works ok - we still need to test some more on that, but basic voice functionality is working. We're on a bit of a skeleton staff here at the moment, and resources are consumed with other things.
Pairing is OK and V- for reference on this unit.

BlackwidowZA

How do I get EAC3 5.1 sound to work om this box as I’m getting no sound playing these video files through plex but on my native plex app on LG tv it works fine so problem is with the box and not my plex

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
How do I get EAC3 5.1 sound to work om this box as I’m getting no sound playing these video files through plex but on my native plex app on LG tv it works fine so problem is with the box and not my plex
How are you connected(S/PDIF or HDMI), and what are your audio settings?

Normally this relates to codec issues on the player. The box does not perform any downmixing or adjustment to any streams, just passthrough, so if downmixing is required, it may need a external codec installed. You can try with a native 5.1 source.

BlackwidowZA

How are you connected(S/PDIF or HDMI), and what are your audio settings?

Normally this relates to codec issues on the player. The box does not perform any downmixing or adjustment to any streams, just passthrough, so if downmixing is required, it may need a external codec installed. You can try with a native 5.1 source.
Other 5.1 sources work its only the EAC3 variant that is not working. And I tried connecting it through HDMI and straight with S/PDIF to my soundbar and nothing. not getting any sound

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
Other 5.1 sources work its only the EAC3 variant that is not working. And I tried connecting it through HDMI and straight with S/PDIF to my soundbar and nothing. not getting any sound
We don't support Plex directly - you may have to dig around a bit for the correct settings or codecs, but normally this means that plex does not view your sound receiver as EAC3 compatible, and is trying to downmix it to whatever it thinks your receiver supports. This can be done successfully with the correct codecs on your plex server (or sometimes player). Alternatively, if your sound receiver supports EAC3, there should be a setting in Plex to tell it to passthrough the EAC3.

The box is not Dolby certified and therefore cannot do any down-mixing for you - it only supports passthrough either via S/PDIF or HDMI. Any downmixing must be supported by appropriate codecs in either your player or your server.

We hope this is helpful - we unfortunately cannot give complete support for third party apps and players, as that is a mammoth task in itself.

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
Is the Skyworth Binge (HPA02) on its way out ?

The listing at Makro says :

Last Chance
Last chance products are end of range items. Availability is limited and cannot be guaranteed.

Or is Makro just not going to sell it anymore ?
Remaining product stock is limited. Normally, if we had the support of certain streaming services, we would bring in a updated replacement with newer chipsets and features.

zordon

All the effort in getting Android 9 ready for a box that is being decommissioned.... unless that update has also been scrapped :unsure:

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
All the effort in getting Android 9 ready for a box that is being decommissioned.... unless that update has also been scrapped :unsure:
The update has not been scrapped, and we continue to support the units. The update has been delayed. One of the issues with Google certification is it's a bit of a moving target as if you miss a round, you need to add new patches and re-test.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Glad I never went this route. If adding to the Chromecast experience it will have to be Xiaomi/Ematic(Jetstream) or Nvidia for now.

Louis Marx

The update has not been scrapped, and we continue to support the units. The update has been delayed. One of the issues with Google certification is it's a bit of a moving target as if you miss a round, you need to add new patches and re-test.
So does that mean you have sufficient time to at least implement dynamic refresh rate as was done on Mi Box with pie?

xbmcfan

So does that mean you have sufficient time to at least implement dynamic refresh rate as was done on Mi Box with pie?
They already mentioned it's not something that is going to be added.
Even if it was possible it would delay the Android 9 update by another 6 months I guess and require months of testing to iron out all the bugs. Frame-rate switching is something very complicated and took some manufacturers over a year to implement and fix all the bugs along the way users reported.

If you want frame-rate switching, buying a cheap $35 S905x3 device and installing CoreELEC is the best solution if you don't use HD streaming services. They even support system-wide frame-rate switching for any Android app. Then buy an extra FireTV 4K stick on special and you're sorted for all the streaming services.

A Mi box can also work but then you are buying ancient hardware that runs at half the speed of S905X3 devices, but it's also the best, all in one solution if you only care about streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, DSTV Now.