Slow/Closed Combustion Fireplace: is it worth it?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Can you hear the crackling with the glass door closed?
I think so - it's been a while since I used one. Right now we've got a jetmaster that's open faced so we definitely hear the crackling. :)

hellfire

Honorary Master
That's why I had the glass plate installed with the fireplace - was concerned about damage to the floor

Neuk_

Executive Member
For that price, surely a decent sized inverter aircon would heat your house much more cost efficiently, minus the soot and the need to constantly feed it?

Sure, the ambiance is gone, but for daily winter heating, a fireplace can be a bit of a pain in the ass..

We have an old Morso wood fireplace in the lounge that we salvaged when we stripped the house before renovating and it is very effective at heating the house although it can be a pain to clean. We have a gas heater for when we are lazy or making a fire and running it doesn't make sense and an inverter aircon in our bedroom but we have never used it to heat the room up.

The_MAC

Executive Member
We have an old Morso wood fireplace in the lounge that we salvaged when we stripped the house before renovating and it is very effective at heating the house although it can be a pain to clean. We have a gas heater for when we are lazy or making a fire and running it doesn't make sense and an inverter aircon in our bedroom but we have never used it to heat the room up.

I also have small kids, so fireplaces and gas are a bit of a hazard - but I find the aircon to be the most efficient in heat distribution and cost.

I use my braai in my enclosed patio for those days that I want a cozy winter evening by the fire.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I also have small kids, so fireplaces and gas are a bit of a hazard - but I find the aircon to be the most efficient in heat distribution and cost.

I use my braai in my enclosed patio for those days that I want a cozy winter evening by the fire.
Gas is actually safe.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Gas is actually safe.

I was referring more to the element, not necessarily a gas leak. An aircon is out of the way and just puffs enough warm air to reach a certain temp, it regulates the temperature well without having pockets of cold/warm air.

Neuk_

Executive Member

I can understand that, we don't have kids yet.

Yster21

Absolutely true about the kids. My wife and I had a kid after I installed the fireplace. You need to keep a constant eye on them or they'll try to melt themselves against the glass. My little one dragged a stuffed toy over the glass when my wife wasn't watching him, melted the hair off the toy and burnt a blister on his finger. It's insanely hot. Even my cat singed the hair off her tail once.

But FYI, an open fireplace like a braai doesn't even come close to heating like these closed ones do. An aircon is convenient, but the electric bill adds up pretty quick depending on what temperature you put it on. There are pros and cons to each and I use whichever suits me during a particular situation. We run the aircon in the baby's room during the evenings at 19C - something I can't do with a fireplace. This adds around R1k to R1.5k per month to my electric bill.

shadow_man

Executive Member
Absolutely true about the kids. My wife and I had a kid after I installed the fireplace. You need to keep a constant eye on them or they'll try to melt themselves against the glass. My little one dragged a stuffed toy over the glass when my wife wasn't watching him, melted the hair off the toy and burnt a blister on his finger. It's insanely hot. Even my cat singed the hair off her tail once.

But FYI, an open fireplace like a braai doesn't even come close to heating like these closed ones do. An aircon is convenient, but the electric bill adds up pretty quick depending on what temperature you put it on. There are pros and cons to each and I use whichever suits me during a particular situation. We run the aircon in the baby's room during the evenings at 19C - something I can't do with a fireplace. This adds around R1k to R1.5k per month to my electric bill.

Yep the aircon will add a big whack on to your bill.

I'm using a closed combustion fireplace to heat my house in winter.

Last summer I bought 5000 pieces of wood, of which I'd guesstimate I've burnt through probably 3500-4000 pieces to date). So to run my fireplace / braai (as i use the same wood for braaing) has cost me about R3000-R3500 (this over several months))

The_MAC

Executive Member
But FYI, an open fireplace like a braai doesn't even come close to heating like these closed ones do

Absolutely, it is not efficient at all - I start the fire for ambiance, and also the aircon for warmth :)