Slow Internet speeds for South Africans caused by cable outage

Trolley

Can anyone please help me.

I am using Tunsafe with cloud warp. Browsing is 100% and certain games are fine to EU.

However i can not get past the authentication on call of duty and can not connect to EU games on rainbow six siege.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Just completed hooking my pfSense install to Nord VPN on the interface that uses Telkom. Working like a treat :)
CoD logs in - and right now - that makes me very happy.

Figured if the ships are going to take a week to get there, then time to put effort into making a plan. Can't go a week with dodgy interwebs.

internaut

Omagelul, now it's hailing as well :sneaky:
Whoever controlling weather, jou mase...

Last edited:

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
A bit harsh - not like it's their fault - and their expenses remain the same.
Its a business. It certainly isn't my fault. When some dipsht mechanic takes your car for a test drive and someone rear ends them, do you say, "its not like its their fault" and accept the damage as well as still pay for the service?

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I didn't even realise this was happening, until I read about it. Thank you ISP, however you did it.

Only thing I've noticed, now that I'm looking at it, is my Path of Exile ping has increased by about 40/50ms:

Iwojima

Expert Member
Its a business. It certainly isn't my fault. When some dipsht mechanic takes your car for a test drive and someone rear ends them, do you say, "its not like its their fault" and accept the damage as well as still pay for the service?
That's not even remotely the same thing.

capetownspur

Afrihost Update:
Update 19:02, 19 Jan 2020
We have purchased additional international bandwidth on other undersea cables to restore internet services to as close to normal as possible. This is in addition to our existing failover capacity. This means that we will not be reliant on repairs to the damaged cables to deliver better international speeds and latency. Our team are currently working through the night to implement the additional capacity this evening or early tomorrow morning.

Reinierdash

my internet works better now i can play online games again don't know why im using telkom line and with afihost internet

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Afrihost Update:
Update 19:02, 19 Jan 2020
We have purchased additional international bandwidth on other undersea cables to restore internet services to as close to normal as possible. This is in addition to our existing failover capacity. This means that we will not be reliant on repairs to the damaged cables to deliver better international speeds and latency. Our team are currently working through the night to implement the additional capacity this evening or early tomorrow morning.
How is it possible that Afrihost provides this update, but Axxess last "update" was on Friday? Are they not basically the same company?

MirageF1

Expert Member
Afrihost seems back to normal for me right now
AH via who?Makes a big diff

Telkom and you might be, MTN def not( it's still crawling w/out a decent VPN on some sites internationally hosted )

Last edited:

schumi

Honorary Master
With Telkom ,now down to on average half speed still much better than before