Slow Rain LTE speeds – Afrihost customer told to cancel his package

MirageF1

Expert Member
"Rain added that it has not communicated to resellers that users should be moved off the network. "

Major loss of existing revenue, huh?

Clearly, being honest and upfront with their clients needs foremost in mind is beyond comprehension for these greedy idiots.

nahoR

cancel his Rain LTE package and switch to Cell C’s network to improve his speeds.
Hell no! The Cell C fixed LTE speeds are terrible. I've tested it in various cities and places and the max speeds hardly reached 2Mbps

Bobbin

Executive Member
Been having some issues with these LTE services and VPN. A lot of customers phone me complaining they can't connect to their company VPN. It's something to do with blocked ports and not having an unrestricted APN to my knowledge. It seems some of these company's, RAIN is one in particular, won't bother resolving it. You're stuck and must use an alternative.

Also for the love of God please don't use one of these mobile LTE services for your business if you can avoid it. If you do, lower your expectations considerably. Erratic performance aside, Dynamic IP's result in you occasionally getting blacklisted IP's and suddenly things stop working. You can't get a fixed IP over LTE either afaik, should the need ever arise. Neotels fixed LTE service back in the day might be one exception.

kianm

Honorary Master
Rocking my side, i must be lucky... or some are just unlucky

eg2505

Honorary Master
Slow news day? If your speeds are slow because people are abusing the service https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/data-usage-policy-on-rain.997200/page-10#post-22856814 you are free to cancel. What is happening with the world? People all over complaining like crazy over essentially nothing.
exactly this,

be happy for what you get, internet "uncapped' for a cheap price.
yes, one puts up with performance compromises, but that's part of the deal,

don't think its worth complaining about it, if you want reliability, pay the money,
otherwise STFU, kindly...

MirageF1

Expert Member
exactly this,

be happy for what you get, internet "uncapped' for a cheap price.
yes, one puts up with performance compromises, but that's part of the deal,

don't think its worth complaining about it, if you want reliability, pay the money,
otherwise STFU, kindly...
WTF? STFU 2....Since when was my 25GB snailmail package uncapped?

eg2505

Honorary Master
WTF? STFU 2....Since when was my 25GB snailmail package uncapped?
yes the afrihost package is capped, and yes you would expect it to be slow and throttled ect...

so its all relative I suppose. if you expect to run a buisness on that internet you going to have issues.
even if you buy a bigger package, you get what you pay for in the end,

throttling,no fixed IP's, ports blocked all sorts of weird and wonderful things.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
"Many Rain customers" is an overstatement, most rain customers I think is happy with the speeds. We use it in the office, R250 uncapped during office hours, we average 800gb per month and have no issues, 60mbps down, 20mbps up any time of the day. Any other 'business' connection costs R3000+ without nearly that speed or stability.

GinaSchroeder

Hell no! The Cell C fixed LTE speeds are terrible. I've tested it in various cities and places and the max speeds hardly reached 2Mbps
And maybe the problem is Afrihost. I am Vumatel through afrihost and the system about once a month is slow to unusable.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
"Many Rain customers" is an overstatement, most rain customers I think is happy with the speeds. We use it in the office, R250 uncapped during office hours, we average 800gb per month and have no issues, 60mbps down, 20mbps up any time of the day. Any other 'business' connection costs R3000+ without nearly that speed or stability.
Perhaps because Rain mobile is sold as a bona fide mobile product and not for business use in an office. Unless you run the business from a smartphone which I highly doubt. Hopefully Rain just blacklist those sims and don't stop or cap the product for us normal users.

Joseph matane

Guys is FDD equipment cheaper than TDD since Rain didn't invest much in TDD according to the article but Rain has chunk of spectrum in TDD under 2600mhz block

Craig

Honorary Master
I only got my rain sim 2 days ago, and the speeds are a bit disappointing. Was fast the first day, but from that night onward it just went downhill.

Andre

Expert Member
Speed has been a bit better of late although not great in Muizenberg.

In other news though Octotel are busy trenching for fibre right outside as I write. Final implementation by March according to the gentleman in the Octotel bakkie I spoke to this afternoon.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
That is horrible. I am more than willing to look into this for you as I am sure we can try and find a solution for you. Please send a PM with your details and I will look into this for you.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Been having some issues with these LTE services and VPN. A lot of customers phone me complaining they can't connect to their company VPN. It's something to do with blocked ports and not having an unrestricted APN to my knowledge. It seems some of these company's, RAIN is one in particular, won't bother resolving it. You're stuck and must use an alternative.

Also for the love of God please don't use one of these mobile LTE services for your business if you can avoid it. If you do, lower your expectations considerably. Erratic performance aside, Dynamic IP's result in you occasionally getting blacklisted IP's and suddenly things stop working. You can't get a fixed IP over LTE either afaik, should the need ever arise. Neotels fixed LTE service back in the day might be one exception.
As far as I understand we don't restrict any traffic on our APN. I would really like to assist you here and I am sure if we work together we can get this sorted out. Please send me a PM with your account information and I will be sure to help you.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
And maybe the problem is Afrihost. I am Vumatel through afrihost and the system about once a month is slow to unusable.
Your connection shouldn't be slow at any time let alone one a month. When your connection slows, please send me a PM and I will help you out.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Guys is FDD equipment cheaper than TDD since Rain didn't invest much in TDD according to the article but Rain has chunk of spectrum in TDD under 2600mhz block
I know that there are a few devices that you can change between FDD and TDD. If I am not mistaken the B618 is one of these devices.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I only got my rain sim 2 days ago, and the speeds are a bit disappointing. Was fast the first day, but from that night onward it just went downhill.
That is a little disappointing. I am more than willing to take a look at your package to see if we can sort this out. Please send me a PM so we can get started.