Slow wifi download speeds (2.4 ghz) but very quick upload.

Lowesimon

Hi, I am constantly bombarded by my family with complaints about the slow wifi speeds.
My current set up is a Rain 5G antenna connected to a TP-Link Archer A6 to extend the range and cover most of the house. When I run a speedtest on my laptop situated next to the Rain 2.4 ghz network the down/upload speeds are respectable at 50 mbs down and 30 mbs up. Running the same mybroadband speed test next to the TP Link wifi router connected to the 2.4 ghz network the download speed drops down to a maximum of 12 mbs but, the upload speed is nice and high at 30 mbs. The TP link router seems to be working fine as the 5 ghz network speed is in line with the Rain 5 ghz speeds of 180 mbs down and 60 up.

I have tried changing the channel number and width on the 2.4 ghz network without any success.
Is there anyone who might have experienced the same problem and perhaps solved it?
Regards
Simon

HartsockZA

How does your range extender talk to the main router? Is it through wifi or cable?
range extenders do not work. they are stupid money grabs. Better to run a cable to a second router and made the 2nd router just an AP with the same name chan and password. Or go get a really powerful roof AP for the house.

ghostRgg

Sounds like half-duplex on the 2.4GHz band, but it could be a number of things. Are you running a cable between the router and the TP-Link?

Lowesimon

How does your range extender talk to the main router? Is it through wifi or cable?
range extenders do not work. they are stupid money grabs. Better to run a cable to a second router and made the 2nd router just an AP with the same name chan and password. Or go get a really powerful roof AP for the house.
Its not actually a range extender. Its connected with a cable to the Rain antenna and running a seperate wifi network. I have ubiquiti connected to the TP Link as a AP with good speeds. Its just the 2.4 ghz wifi network which is really slow even when I am right next to it.

HartsockZA

I hardly use routers with dual capabilities primarily because sometimes this happens. It sounds like channel congestion. Are you running 2.4Ghz on the rain and ubnt routers or are you using 5G throughout the house?

What are the terrible speeds when you test on the TP link 2.4Ghz your network seems to be very wonky usually a ubnt AP is all you need could you explain in depth more as to how you have things running maybe we can get a better idea?

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Hi, I am constantly bombarded by my family with complaints about the slow wifi speeds.
My current set up is a Rain 5G antenna connected to a TP-Link Archer A6 to extend the range and cover most of the house. When I run a speedtest on my laptop situated next to the Rain 2.4 ghz network the down/upload speeds are respectable at 50 mbs down and 30 mbs up. Running the same mybroadband speed test next to the TP Link wifi router connected to the 2.4 ghz network the download speed drops down to a maximum of 12 mbs but, the upload speed is nice and high at 30 mbs. The TP link router seems to be working fine as the 5 ghz network speed is in line with the Rain 5 ghz speeds of 180 mbs down and 60 up.

I have tried changing the channel number and width on the 2.4 ghz network without any success.
Is there anyone who might have experienced the same problem and perhaps solved it?
Regards
Simon
So to summarise:

You have one LTE router with the Rain SIM and it has its own 2.4GHz network. [We need to know the model]

You also have the Archer A6 set up as an access point, with its own network with a different SSID.

Somewhere in there you also have a Ubiquiti AP. [We need to know the model]

Is that right?

If you plug the cable running to the Archer A6 into the laptop, what speeds do you get? Also, which port do you plug the cable into on the A6?

To help troubleshoot, make sure you install WiFi Analyzer from the Play Store. Tap on the Channels tab and take a screenshot of the networks your phone can identify. If you have 5GHz networks around you, you can tap the slider underneath "Switch between 2.4/5 GHz" to see the 5GHz networks around you. Take a screenshot of that as well.