Small Claims Court: Email as Letter of Demand

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Then you might be SoL. Have you checked with that sheriff office whether they'll email you the proof of delivery? Perhaps the one you deal with is different the buggers I dealt with.
The proof of delivery is a bit of a non-issue as they are simply just too expensive. R400 for the first attempt and no guarantee that the first attempt will work. Do I include the cost of the first attempt in the letter of demand? What about subsequent attempts? Money I'm trying to claim back is +-R1300. Fck the Notebook Company.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
The proof of delivery is a bit of a non-issue as they are simply just too expensive. R400 for the first attempt and no guarantee that the first attempt will work. Do I include the cost of the first attempt in the letter of demand? What about subsequent attempts? Money I'm trying to claim back is +-R1300. Fck the Notebook Company.
In this there is some good news, you can add the amounts billed by the sheriff, and then should the verdict be in your favor, you get the claimed amount + costs.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
In this there is some good news, you can add the amounts billed by the sheriff, and then should the verdict be in your favor, you get the claimed amount + costs.
So I don't add it to the +-R1300 in the letter of demand? The sheriff's costs get added at court time?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
So I don't add it to the +-R1300 in the letter of demand? The sheriff's costs get added at court time?
Indeed. You just need to keep everything on file. I only know this, cause my case was at the limit, and I wanted to claim the costs as well. So they said, that's the way it works. Gets added to the verdict.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Indeed. You just need to keep everything on file. I only know this, cause my case was at the limit, and I wanted to claim the costs as well. So they said, that's the way it works. Gets added to the verdict.
Reading through some literature about the small claims court, it appears I am SoL again. Apparently the case takes place in the jurisdiction of the defendant. NOT the plaintiff. So I have to travel to Pretoria. I wonder if they would consider that this scumbag company has an office in my area and still have the case here?