Small scale household backup system

Iwojima

Expert Member
Web form.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning.

Failing which Geewiz has the same thing in 125A "flavour" for a grand, but with free shipping.
Should have gone with Geewiz...

Contantly needing to chase up to get the order moving along.

With Geewiz I could have banked on getting it before weekend and having the time to put everything together over the weekend.

Iwojima

Expert Member
With AC on is the current truly bypassing the inverter portion?

I've noticed when I exceed the 3kw the inverter is rated for (while still on mains) the inverter beeps.

Lupus

Honorary Master
With AC on is the current truly bypassing the inverter portion?

I've noticed when I exceed the 3kw the inverter is rated for (while still on mains) the inverter beeps.
Nope unless you actually flick the switch down to mains? My installer said for now everything hooked up to the inverter will be running through it, so I cannot exceed 5kw.

Iwojima

Expert Member
Nope unless you actually flick the switch down to mains? My installer said for now everything hooked up to the inverter will be running through it, so I cannot exceed 5kw.
Damn, I was afraid that might be the case but didn't factor it into plans.

3kw is easily hit with a dishwasher and kettle or hairdryer on. Really should have gone for a 5KV now that I think about it. Purely to retain seemless functionality.

I guess I either replace the inverter or I just need to get into the habit of cutting over back to mains when I need those bigger loads.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Damn, I was afraid that might be the case but didn't factor it into plans.

3kw is easily hit with a dishwasher and kettle or hairdryer on. Really should have gone for a 5KV now that I think about it. Purely to retain seemless functionality.

I guess I either replace the inverter or I just need to get into the habit of cutting over back to mains when I need those bigger loads.
Yup that's what I was told, don't go over 5kw as it will cut out, luckily for 5kw you need to literally have the dishwasher, kettle and microwave on at the same time and that is just touching 4.9kw. So for 3kw I'd imagine microwave and dishwasher only?
Or you just don't use them at the same time? But yeah I'm like crud maybe 8kw wasn't a bad idea, but than I'm like I often only really hit 3kw at most and rarely go anywhere near 5kw, so it was like pay an extra 6k or not.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Yup that's what I was told, don't go over 5kw as it will cut out, luckily for 5kw you need to literally have the dishwasher, kettle and microwave on at the same time and that is just touching 4.9kw. So for 3kw I'd imagine microwave and dishwasher only?
Or you just don't use them at the same time? But yeah I'm like crud maybe 8kw wasn't a bad idea, but than I'm like I often only really hit 3kw at most and rarely go anywhere near 5kw, so it was like pay an extra 6k or not.
Add your geyser and things get hairy quickly if you're planning to move away from Eskom eventually.

I'm adding my geyser to essentials after having a 3 day outage and the water went cold. But even now, pushing excess PV to non-essentials during the day, I've seen spikes over 8kW because of the geyser...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Add your geyser and things get hairy quickly if you're planning to move away from Eskom eventually.

I'm adding my geyser to essentials after having a 3 day outage and the water went cold. But even now, pushing excess PV to non-essentials during the day, I've seen spikes over 8kW because of the geyser...
Geyser will move to gas, not having that hog on "solar" or essentials.

_kabal_

Expert Member
I'm paying 15k for my installation, COCT registration and CoC of full solar. Would love to get installer only charging 7k in Cape Town.
Also in Cape Town, who did you use?

I have purchased my own Hubble AM-2 and Sunsynk 5kW Hybrid inverter from powerforum-store, but would like a pro to install, and provide anything else I need. Just backup, no solar.

It was R10K!!!! cheaper for me to source the battery and inverter myself, compared to the quotes I received. Basically powerforum-store price including VAT with VAT added on again.

Katelknaap

I have purchased my own Hubble AM-2 and Sunsynk 5kW Hybrid inverter from powerforum-store, but would like a pro to install, and provide anything else I need. Just backup, no solar.

It was R10K!!!! cheaper for me to source the battery and inverter myself, compared to the quotes I received. Basically powerforum-store price including VAT with VAT added on again.
I'm using a Powerforumstore recommended installer to install exactly what u have bought, quote +- R 15k. They are based in Brackenfell.

Katelknaap

I'll look for the quote and PM you their details later.
Here's my quote, COC included, but no COCT SSEG registration. Not 100% sure if that's required for a battery backup system only?

Anyway, so far, I am still looking for a definitive answer iro if there is actually a fee that the city charges for this, as I can't find the answer.

Attachments

• QU0000255 Louw Coetzee_220505_185932.pdf
    161.6 KB · Views: 11

initroot

I'm using a Powerforumstore recommended installer to install exactly what u have bought, quote +- R 15k. They are based in Brackenfell.
I've sent you a PM. The oke I used also recommended by powerforumstore charges cheaper for just the backup installation.

initroot

The 10k seems fair if you based in cape town, based on what some okes are charging.