Smart home starting out - new build

Kung Fu Porkchop

Expert Member
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread going forward as I want to start with "smartening up" my house as soon as I have fibre and funds for smart devices. The main "problem" I have at this point is getting an ethernet point installed in every room as I'll have to use truncing or go through the messy chore of chasing conduit and cables :cautious: I have some time to decide before I can start with the whole process

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
My advice: Don't bother with all the smart home nonsense. It's all exiting and fun planning it and building it, but after a few months, it's just a house. Nobody cares about your smart home and nobody is impressed. You just want the light to turn on, it's good enough.

I would just make sure there was Ethernet in every room, and a 25mm conduit for things like HDMI cables.

Beware, builders are the scum of the earth. They will mess up everything, block up pipes, bend things and destroy your expensive cables.

fatty

Agree with most of the comments.

Always suggest wired over wireless where possible, and running at least one lan point to each room is always suggested, 2 preferably (one behind tv media area and another for computer) having switches is messy.

If you doing cctv remember lan cable aswell and use Poe systems.

Otherwise a good mesh system for wireless (unifi is my preference) is always a good investment, multiple points that run independently is messy.

If you doing smart switches and the rest of it, the ajax system is also a consideration as it’s got a lot of integration of switches and power modules and it’s scalable.

Enjoy the planning, I think that’s the most important, but things change so we can’t always account for everything

RonSwanson

Executive Member
My advice: Don't bother with all the smart home nonsense. It's all exiting and fun planning it and building it, but after a few months, it's just a house. Nobody cares about your smart home and nobody is impressed. You just want the light to turn on, it's good enough.

I would just make sure there was Ethernet in every room, and a 25mm conduit for things like HDMI cables.

Beware, builders are the scum of the earth. They will mess up everything, block up pipes, bend things and destroy your expensive cables.
I tend to agree with you. Some things are important, others not really. 2x separated ethernet jacks in each bedroom, 3-4x for larger areas.

And energy: Instead of solar panels on roof, maybe get some smart roof tiles. And a dedicated ventilated and temperature controlled storage for inverter, batteries and genny, the latter preferably underground or basement and / or underground exhaust.

And another thing with a new smart build: Pay attention to insulation. Buy only the best today vs expensive retrofitting it later.

Last edited: