Smart ID cards not corruptible: Home Affairs

Turbo_Aspiration

Expert Member
I'm sure all these things are pretty secure and difficult to make a fake. However, the real issue comes in when you have a corruptible official who will give you a "real" one for a few bucks.

MrR

Expert Member
I'm sure all these things are pretty secure and difficult to make a fake. However, the real issue comes in when you have a corruptible official who will give you a "real" one for a few bucks.
+1 A system is only as strong as its weakest link

Kingofmybbknowitalls

Exactly. The human factor is the weakest link in most cases.

The official who you are presenting a fake one to could be bribed to look the other way.

konfab

Honorary Master
Will they provide the source code so we can be sure of that, or do we just have to trust the government.

Nuke

Smart ID cards not corruptible - Home Affairs

Challenge accepted.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I haven't seen any major public education initiatives about how to spot a fake one...?

ChocolateBadger

Expert Member
Are these things chipped? Can we upload our drivers codes into this thing? How about our firearm licenses?

Swa

Honorary Master
+1 A system is only as strong as its weakest link
+2
Also no claim can be made about the security of any closed system. Are all the security features in the non-proprietary public domain?

Velenoso

Expert Member
South Africa wastes money making their documents more secure, when as mentioned above you bribe someone to put you in the "system" and you're issued a real ID no and therefore a real ID. Few of my Zim/Malawi guys have this.

Sl8er

Executive Member
...The department does not issue fraudulent smart ID cards yet,” the minister said in the reply published on Monday.
Now it's more believable.

grok

Honorary Master
The smart ID card remains the most highly secured form of identification ever produced with sophisticated security features that are not corruptible.
Largely irrelevant when your home affairs officers are so easily corruptible..

Like what's the benefit declaring your key cannot be duplicated when you can slip Tsepo R10 to use his? :erm:

Turgon

I suspect the cards come pre-corrupted. They are manufactured by Gemalto, a huge overseas simcard manufacturer, which was famously hacked by the NSA and the UK equivalent in the last few years. It is 'not clear' exactly what was compromised:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/19/nsa-gchq-sim-card-billions-cellphones-hacking

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/25/gemalto-2/

From wikipedia:

"The breach subsequently refueled suspicions against Gemalto chairman Alex J. Mandl, given his role in the CIA venture capital firm In-Q-Tel."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemalto#Security_breaches

Tjaaksie

R 200 bank notes were also deemed non corruptible, sporting many "security features".