Smart Light Switches Recommendations

I've had the white Sonoff M5 connected for a couple weeks now and it's been 100% reliable but I still just can't get used to the way the switches feel. Pressing the buttons just doesn't feel very satisfying as the microswitches just don't give you that same feedback as a lever style switch.

The Legrand Arteor switches + Shelly relay combo I installed in my bedroom are almost the perfect solution. For 1 gang switches it's absolutely amazing but it cannot scale up past that unfortunately as the Legrand switches take up quite a bit of space in the wall box not leaving enough room for the relay and the wiring.

I would pay good money if Legrand made a smart version of this specific switch but unfortunately their smart home switches don't use the same switch mechanism and they have a silly proprietary ecosystem as they expect you to get certified installers to put them in (for an exorbitant price).

For now, I'm going to watch the market and see what new stuff comes out to see if fulfils my oddly specific needs for a light switch. I don't think I'm going to get any more of these M5s.

I've had the white Sonoff M5 connected for a couple weeks now and it's been 100% reliable but I still just can't get used to the way the switches feel. Pressing the buttons just doesn't feel very satisfying as the microswitches just don't give you that same feedback as a lever style switch.

The Legrand Arteor switches + Shelly relay combo I installed in my bedroom are almost the perfect solution. For 1 gang switches it's absolutely amazing but it cannot scale up past that unfortunately as the Legrand switches take up quite a bit of space in the wall box not leaving enough room for the relay and the wiring.

I would pay good money if Legrand made a smart version of this specific switch but unfortunately their smart home switches don't use the same switch mechanism and they have a silly proprietary ecosystem as they expect you to get certified installers to put them in (for an exorbitant price).

For now, I'm going to watch the market and see what new stuff comes out to see if fulfils my oddly specific needs for a light switch. I don't think I'm going to get any more of these M5s.
I've gone through a few options, before the m5's I had the veti 2 switches from major tech which don't have a specific state connected to sonoff minis that I put in the ceiling space. I hate the idea of switches being the wrong way on/off.

It worked well but it was a lot of effort installing junction boxes in the ceiling and pulling all the cables

The m5 is definitely the best option out there for local LAN control, that I've seen at least available locally.

We all just want the same thing I reckon, a proper tactile smart switch.

Wife is happy with the m5 so I reckon I'm going all in on them now, and be done with it.

Finished my NSPanel and M5 install in the entertainment room yesterday, I'll still fiddle with the NSPanel to see what I want on there, but for now it's just weather, some lights and QR code for guest wifi

1719209380439.png

Edit: Plugs in the entertainment area are all grey, main house is white so will use white inside

Back