Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

Magandroid

Expert Member
Their Lifesmart products also seems pretty impressive with the user being able to configure how and when notifications are sent.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Chatted to the guys today and the solution is called Deep Data and the program is called Deep Alert. Don't know if all their sales people know about it but I was chatting to the CCTV technical staff.

That's awesomely helpful. Thanks man. Will send another email and see if they have anything to say, and I'll look around to see if anyone else is offering that technology. The Deep Data web page looks very promising as far as the tech is concerned:

https://www.deepdata.works/deep-alert/

Magandroid

Expert Member
The little bit that was explained to me of Deep Data is that they offer this 3rd party solution which is software on a computer. You tell them how many cameras you want to monitor and a system is configured for you. It apparently works various brands of CCTV equipment. I have no idea about pricing so this is something you would have to get from them.
Let me know if you don't come right and I will give you the details of the contact at the Cape Town branch.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The little bit that was explained to me of Deep Data is that they offer this 3rd party solution which is software on a computer. You tell them how many cameras you want to monitor and a system is configured for you. It apparently works various brands of CCTV equipment. I have no idea about pricing so this is something you would have to get from them.
Let me know if you don't come right and I will give you the details of the contact at the Cape Town branch.

Thanks. I have emailed Deep Data to ask about their subscription, whether they recommend or require certain hardware and any other relevant info they can provide. Their About page says that they provide the service for R140pm, so maybe I can just go straight through them.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Any update ito products and prices?

Nope. Deep Data doesn't seem to respond to emails, unfortunately, and Syntech don't seem suited for home sales at all. I'm inclined to go with the Netatmo at this point. Maybe just one initially as a trial.

Rayza2k6

Ive been running Arlo Pro cameras at home for a couple of years now. Would definitely recommend you check them out. Ive put the cameras in the places where I would want to know if anyone accessed the area e.g. the alley way down the side of my house from the front garden to the back garden. They work perfectly for this.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Ive been running Arlo Pro cameras at home for a couple of years now. Would definitely recommend you check them out. Ive put the cameras in the places where I would want to know if anyone accessed the area e.g. the alley way down the side of my house from the front garden to the back garden. They work perfectly for this.

Amazon reviews complain a lot about the useless night vision and false positives from the object/animal/people recognition though. That's my main concern with the Arlo Pro 2. I wouldn't get the previous model due to its 720p resolution and lack of continuous recording.

gMac81

Just noticed your post - If you haven't come right let me know - I'm sure I can guide you with a solution.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Just noticed your post - If you haven't come right let me know - I'm sure I can guide you with a solution.

Hi gMac. I haven't come right yet. A local installer I've used for AV stuff for a while has branched into networking and CCTV, and he has said he will try to get organised with Deep Data and provide their product as an extra service. So I'm hoping he comes right with that.

Several times I've nearly clicked the add to cart button on something, but then reviews around the internet will present some serious red flags that just aren't acceptable to me. Not a single mainstream solution doesn't seem to have a serious flaw or two in some way. So if you have something that is actually great, I'm all ears.

Speeki

Hi Byrn - I guess you have made your purchasing decision by now . I thought I should inform you of an enterprise grade security system (built by ex-googlers and other experts in their field.). I'll soon be representing the company in South Africa and will be happy to answer questions regarding the service.
The services is a software that is compatible with most security cameras on the market. You will have options such as search engine - a method to search through live and recorded video e.g. you may be looking for a person with a red jacket, jeans & riding a bicycle - you can type in " Red jacket, blue jeans, bicycle" into the search engine and the video will fast forward to directly to the part of the recording here a person fitting that description can be found.It connects any camera to state-of-the-art Machine Learning to power modern video monitoring solutions with the efficiency and flexibility advantages of Enterprise level security.
Advanced machine learning algorithms can identify the most important events that were recorded. The platform also learns what concerns you by the way you use it, so it gets smarter over time, continuously improving summaries & alerts.
HD is only used for important motion. That means your Internet connection isnt burdened—even if you’re using multiple cameras. Custom compression algorithms also assist with this. One of the few solutions that offer a lo bandwith smart option.
All this at surprisingly low monthly cost.
(We have additional an drone security service that could be attached to platform & customised for your specific needs: For example if a laser across a field is breached (or other sensors such as ground vibration spike that connects to the central system via radio signal, or a rule in the system eg if sheep a being rustled in the middle of the night, the machine learning system would recognise this as an unusual occurrence - your security drone that is Included in the package; will be automatically alerted & the first on scene - streaming live video to the your location. A loud speaker and flashing lights will assist in deterring the sheep thieves. The 'smart' drone would automatically select any offending vehicles and follow them upto the boundaries of your property (collecting useful information such as license plates and descriptions). This is a new service so we are offering new clients custom offers based on the customers precise requirements (at cost price).

I searched but don't see this discussion covered. I already have a decent Samsung CCTV 4-channel kit running and it provides 1080p live feeds on a display in the kitchen of both entrances to the property and two decent vantage points that give a good idea of who is outside. They're used pretty much exclusively to see who is at the gates, and the display is above the main intercom we use.

I'd like to supplement that system with some smart cameras though. The current cameras won't do a damn thing to alert us of an immediate emergency situation (Samsung's motion zone/notification functionality is better left off it's so useless - even passing clouds set it off). Facial recognition is available now for ordinary consumer cameras and considering SA's precarious security it seems a no-brainer to get on board.

I understand they tend to work by recording snippets rather than continuously and usually upload to the cloud as well. This isn't an issue with the existing Samsung kit providing the live feeds we need and our internet being uncapped fibre.

These are some options I've looked into:

Google Nest Cam IQ Outdoor
- $598 for two, $349 for one
- Not sure how to ship to SA, may need a mail forwarding service
- Excludes waterproof power adapter for outdoor use
- Crazy expensive Nest Aware subscriptions, but the 5 day one for $5pm is fine for my needs (50% off each additional camera)
- May have issues getting the subscription enabled for SA, a non-supported country
- Will upload 200-400GB per month per camera (24/7 footage though)
- Cameras only connect wirelessly, which might not necessarily be an issue with an extra access point
- Seems to have the smartest people and facial recognition from what I gather

Arlo Pro 2
- $1.1k for a 6-pack and base station from Amazon, ships to SA
- Also no weatherproof power adaptors included
- Mounts need to be purchased separately to cover my needs
- Free cloud subscription included, covers 5 cameras for 7 days
- Records only clips
- I've read that the night vision sucks, even compared to its predecessor
- Not sure if getting subscription to work in SA is a mission

Logitech Circle 2
- $320 for 2, or $180 for 1 direct from logitech.com
- Circle Safe subscription required for smart features and SA not supported

If I can get the subscription to work here, I'm leaning towards the Logitech. The Nest Cam features look great, but the data use is really extreme and would double our monthly bandwidth use. The Arlo Pro 2's supposedly disappointing night vision might render it pointless if it could miss an invasion between 1am and 6am.

Is anyone running smart cameras? Would love some feedback about what locals are using in this regard.

shearder

Expert Member
Even simpler pay someone and give them binoculars and a tablet with access tonthe FBI most wanted and other crime sites with pictures of known felons. If some of a description who doesn't fit any known felon tried to break in, said personage with binoculars, can whip out his cell phone and record it...
Maybe cheaper and more effective

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Hi Byrn - I guess you have made your purchasing decision by now . I thought I should inform you of an enterprise grade security system (built by ex-googlers and other experts in their field.). I'll soon be representing the company in South Africa and will be happy to answer questions regarding the service.
The services is a software that is compatible with most security cameras on the market. You will have options such as search engine - a method to search through live and recorded video e.g. you may be looking for a person with a red jacket, jeans & riding a bicycle - you can type in " Red jacket, blue jeans, bicycle" into the search engine and the video will fast forward to directly to the part of the recording here a person fitting that description can be found.It connects any camera to state-of-the-art Machine Learning to power modern video monitoring solutions with the efficiency and flexibility advantages of Enterprise level security.
Advanced machine learning algorithms can identify the most important events that were recorded. The platform also learns what concerns you by the way you use it, so it gets smarter over time, continuously improving summaries & alerts.
HD is only used for important motion. That means your Internet connection isnt burdened—even if you’re using multiple cameras. Custom compression algorithms also assist with this. One of the few solutions that offer a lo bandwith smart option.
All this at surprisingly low monthly cost.
(We have additional an drone security service that could be attached to platform & customised for your specific needs: For example if a laser across a field is breached (or other sensors such as ground vibration spike that connects to the central system via radio signal, or a rule in the system eg if sheep a being rustled in the middle of the night, the machine learning system would recognise this as an unusual occurrence - your security drone that is Included in the package; will be automatically alerted & the first on scene - streaming live video to the your location. A loud speaker and flashing lights will assist in deterring the sheep thieves. The 'smart' drone would automatically select any offending vehicles and follow them upto the boundaries of your property (collecting useful information such as license plates and descriptions). This is a new service so we are offering new clients custom offers based on the customers precise requirements (at cost price).

I'm always interested in smart security solutions. The questions are obviously what the service is called, how the alerts work and how much it costs.