Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

jacosnyman

Hi Bryn

We install Deep Alert and have been doing so for just over a year and a bit now. You are welcome to contact me if you would like to set up a trial.

Just send me an email to sales@jptek.co.za and I can send you more details.

Thanks.

Jaco

Thor

Honorary Master
Hi Byrn - I guess you have made your purchasing decision by now . I thought I should inform you of an enterprise grade security system (built by ex-googlers and other experts in their field.). I'll soon be representing the company in South Africa and will be happy to answer questions regarding the service.
The services is a software that is compatible with most security cameras on the market. You will have options such as search engine - a method to search through live and recorded video e.g. you may be looking for a person with a red jacket, jeans & riding a bicycle - you can type in " Red jacket, blue jeans, bicycle" into the search engine and the video will fast forward to directly to the part of the recording here a person fitting that description can be found.It connects any camera to state-of-the-art Machine Learning to power modern video monitoring solutions with the efficiency and flexibility advantages of Enterprise level security.
Advanced machine learning algorithms can identify the most important events that were recorded. The platform also learns what concerns you by the way you use it, so it gets smarter over time, continuously improving summaries & alerts.
HD is only used for important motion. That means your Internet connection isnt burdened—even if you’re using multiple cameras. Custom compression algorithms also assist with this. One of the few solutions that offer a lo bandwith smart option.
All this at surprisingly low monthly cost.
(We have additional an drone security service that could be attached to platform & customised for your specific needs: For example if a laser across a field is breached (or other sensors such as ground vibration spike that connects to the central system via radio signal, or a rule in the system eg if sheep a being rustled in the middle of the night, the machine learning system would recognise this as an unusual occurrence - your security drone that is Included in the package; will be automatically alerted & the first on scene - streaming live video to the your location. A loud speaker and flashing lights will assist in deterring the sheep thieves. The 'smart' drone would automatically select any offending vehicles and follow them upto the boundaries of your property (collecting useful information such as license plates and descriptions). This is a new service so we are offering new clients custom offers based on the customers precise requirements (at cost price).
What is the software called?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Best cameras ultimately for outside use?

Literally nothing it seems. They all have their issues. All the major players are bulls**tting as to the reliability and quality of their smart outdoor camera systems.

Google's Nest cams come the closest, but they upload a truly staggering amount of data per camera (400-600GB a month). And do you want Google to have cameras all over your property anyway?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Not sure if it helps or even fits your criteria, but I've got an Ezviz (Hikvision brand) camera outside. Runs on a betterry which lasts about 3 months. Motion sensor, built in alarm, push notifications, scheduling via app etc.

Got another model indoors. Works fairly well.

It's not worth it for me, but there's also Ring. They look really good but $$$.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Not sure if it helps or even fits your criteria, but I've got an Ezviz (Hikvision brand) camera outside. Runs on a betterry which lasts about 3 months. Motion sensor, built in alarm, push notifications, scheduling via app etc.

Yep ring cool but overpriced. I need 6, so ...

Installing external beams.

So I just need to be able to check at night if extenal beams triggered. And have recordings offsite.

Hikvision seems to be reputable or reliable.

The Door

Honorary Master

Where did you get that betterry? The flets eksss? :p

upup

Executive Member
The Netatmo Smart Outdoor Camera seems to be the most promising option I've come across yet.

https://www.netatmo.com/product/security/presence

Netatmo_Outdoor_Security_Camera.jpg

- Easy installation as you just call an electrician or replace an existing light fitting
- Weatherproof & needs no additional accessories
- Has facial, person, animal, car etc. recognition and can learn through the app if you put names to faces
- Built in floodlight is really cool
- Doesn't require (or even offer) a cloud subscription

It is really pricey though. R5.7k from Fruugo is the best price I've seen.
So all you need now is a file from the jail, and it can tell you who walk pass you camera.

The Door

Honorary Master
Don't touch them if you value your network / security

Even if a customer has changed the default admin password, SEC Consult discovered there is an undocumented user with the name “default,” whose password is “tluafed” (default in reverse). While this user account can’t change system settings, it is still able to view any video streams.

Normally, hardware devices are secured against unauthorized software updates by requiring that any new software pushed to the devices be digitally signed with a secret cryptographic key that is held only by the hardware or software maker. However, XMEye-enabled devices have no such protections.

In fact, the researchers found it was trivial to set up a system that mimics the XMEye cloud and push malicious firmware updates to any device. Worse still, unlike with the Mirai malware — which gets permanently wiped from memory when an infected device powers off or is rebooted — the update method devised by SEC Consult makes it so that any software uploaded survives a reboot.

Among the company’s strongest critics was New York City-based security firm Flashpoint, which pointed out that even basic security features built into Xiongmai’s hardware had completely failed at basic tasks.

For example, Flashpoint’s analysts discovered that the login page for a camera or DVR running Xiongmai hardware and software could be bypassed just by navigating to a page called “DVR.htm” prior to login.

Flashpoint’s researchers also found that any changes to passwords for various user accounts accessible via the Web administration page for Xiongmai products did nothing to change passwords for accounts that were hard-coded into these devices and accessible only via more obscure, command-line communications interfaces like Telnet and SSH.

These guys hold 25% of the world's DVR market.

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Where did you get that betterry? The flets eksss? :p

Comes with it. You can buy a replacement for it but costs about R1,000.

Would rather buy the wired version (Husky Air) but wiring is a problem outside.

The Door

Honorary Master
So there is free off-site monitoring?

Worth the price in my opinion. I don't use the cloud option - custom ports.

Bullet proof stuff. Installed at my folks as well.
They use p2p - no need for any port setup on your router lol.
You can block them from the outside world, but doesn't that defeat the object of remote monitoring? How do they alert you to intruders while you're mobile?

johnjm

Expert Member
They use p2p - no need for any port setup on your router lol.
You can block them from the outside world, but doesn't that defeat the object of remote monitoring? How do they alert you to intruders while you're mobile?
My alarm system alerts me to Intruders and the cameras record. You can link the alarm output to your alarm system but that isn't recommended.

Have a risco system that is linked to my phone app. I use the xmeye app to play back if I need to.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Any specific camera you would recommend?

I prefer wifi or POE.

Thanks

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I would wait for Wyze to release their outdoor camera.

Or put the current ones in a casing as many have done.