Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

jdido87

Expert Member
Thank you for the images, I am sold. Seeing that it is an end of life product, any reason not to buy, I will to pull the trigger tonight or early in the morning.

For those that ordered recently. Am I correct in saying that if I order 4 they will ship with DHL? Don't want to wait till the next pandemic for the gear to arrive.

powermzii

Expert Member
Thank you for the images, I am sold. Seeing that it is an end of life product, any reason not to buy, I will to pull the trigger tonight or early in the morning.

For those that ordered recently. Am I correct in saying that if I order 4 they will ship with DHL? Don't want to wait till the next pandemic for the gear to arrive.
Are you sure you don't want to get the 510s instead?

Will you be getting the NVR as well.or just the cameras

powermzii

Expert Member
Think we must test out one of the Reolink 810s when they arrive.

Edit meant at your place to see the difference.
Yeah I've been meaning to get 810s just budget hasn't allowed... hopefully I can get 2 or 3 more in a bit. Luckily I overprovisioned for POE (incl APs) so it's just the cameras I'll need

jdido87

Expert Member
Are you sure you don't want to get the 510s instead?

Will you be getting the NVR as well.or just the cameras
Just the cameras. Planning to setup a separate PC to run the cameras and Plex. I don't want multiple devices trying to detect intrusion as the TAKEX180 works brilliant.

Saba'a

Executive Member

Yes 3 or more they said the def send via DHL. But in notes just tell them not via SAPO due to theft and delays.

I think even 2, because my 2 are coming with DHL. Of course might be because they aware of issues I had with SAPO.

jdido87

Expert Member
Yes 3 or more they said the def send via DHL. But in notes just tell them not via SAPO due to theft and delays.

I think even 2, because my 2 are coming with DHL. Of course might be because they aware of issues I had with SAPO.
Did you order direct from their website? Did you use DHL I seem to remember you have shipping issues.

jdido87

Expert Member
I ordered 5 of the 420s now and forgot to add a shipping instruction to use DHL.....too much red wine. I submitted a support ticket now to update my order. How responsive are they?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Did you order direct from their website? Did you use DHL I seem to remember you have shipping issues.
Yes direct from reolink.

Shipping was due to one being sent via Singapore Post. I suspect due to costs since they paid.

Just ensure its via DHL and at least 2. My replacements, 2 x 810s, were ordered 23 May and left Dubai this morning.
Picked up 25 May and on its way here.

Delivery by Monday but might be delivered tomorrow as customs already paid?

Saba'a

Executive Member
I ordered 5 of the 420s now and forgot to add a shipping instruction to use DHL.....too much red wine. I submitted a support ticket now to update my order. How responsive are they?
No they'll send 5 cameras via DHL.

Otherwise just write to support@reolink.com and confirm shipping.

They fairly responsive. Longest response time for me was 24 hours. Usually respond within a few hours.

Personally happy with their customer service. Refunded me for missing 810 camera and sent 2 810 cameras I ordered via DHL.

Pre-covid my first single camera, a Argus 2 with solar panel, was sent via DHL.

Battery is efficient. This morning on 98%.
c61805bef71eded768cfcbfd7ed54096.jpg

jdido87

Expert Member
Yes direct from reolink.

Shipping was due to one being sent via Singapore Post. I suspect due to costs since they paid.

Just ensure its via DHL and at least 2. My replacements, 2 x 810s, were ordered 23 May and left Dubai this morning.
Picked up 25 May and on its way here.

Delivery by Monday but might be delivered tomorrow as customs already paid?
What am I looking at roughly for Customs Duties for this order. I got a $17 discount through the Honey add-on in my browser so the total work out to R2800 or $193.

jdido87

Expert Member
No they'll send 5 cameras via DHL.

Otherwise just write to support@reolink.com and confirm shipping.

They fairly responsive. Longest response time for me was 24 hours. Usually respond within a few hours.

Personally happy with their customer service. Refunded me for missing 810 camera and sent 2 810 cameras I ordered via DHL.

Pre-covid my first single camera, a Argus 2 with solar panel, was sent via DHL.

Battery is efficient. This morning on 98%.
c61805bef71eded768cfcbfd7ed54096.jpg
I did submit a support ticket last night. They confirmed it will be sent via DHL due to weight.

I need to find a POE Switch now and run the cable so long. Is it best to just buy long flyleads or make up my own cables. I have never done it before.

Saba'a

Executive Member
What am I looking at roughly for Customs Duties for this order. I got a $17 discount through the Honey add-on in my browser so the total work out to R2800 or $193.
It seems very inconsistent. I paid R360 for the 2 x 810 cameras.

I'd say budget R150 per camera. Seems average.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I did submit a support ticket last night. They confirmed it will be sent via DHL due to weight.

I need to find a POE Switch now and run the cable so long. Is it best to just buy long flyleads or make up my own cables. I have never done it before.
Personally I'd just buy off shelf OR ask a place to make leads to your size. I usually nowadays keep a few standard size cables.

Try to keep distance for network cable at max 30m. Also ensure you buy the correct poe standard. Not a passive poe switch (from hdcabling). I made that mistake. Still have it at home.

For POE switches check with @Smokey mcpot.

He had/has 2 new ubiquiti poe switches:
Es-8-150w
Es-16-150w

But Scoop has cheap ones. https://scoop.co.za/catalogsearch/result/?q=scoop+poe+switch

I bought from TA an 8 poe port Tenda for R829.

Check this out on takealot: Tenda Switch 9-Port Ether 8-Port Poe

I have new 5 port (4 poe port) Tenda switch and an older 8 port (4 port poe) which I used. But I'm in Gauteng.

Last edited:

Neuk_

Executive Member
Have you tried other ports? I'm assuming its a POE camera? Perhaps the port if fried and not the camera itself?

Yep, what I did was move the LAN cable for this specific IP camera to another port and checked for the lights but nothing and I tried another IP camera's LAN cable in the faulty IP cameras port and the lights came on. There are a few other checks I can try like testing for power at the camera, swapping camera's around, etc. I have a feeling that the camera itself is the issue but any ideas will be welcome.

Milion

Hey guys, in my neighbourhood we have been experiencing a few instances of petty theft recently. We have all added a few beams to our alarm systems and that seems to have worked, no issues since then. I am thinking of adding a few cameras for peace of mind. My alarm guy suggested Dahua cameras but after doing some research I am considering the Reolink 810A. Will probably get 4 of them to start. The picture quality seems to be good and it has person and vehicle detection. Should I get the Reolink NVR as well or look at getting a pc to record with Blue Iris. I'm not very tech savy but I can do some research and figure it out.

powermzii

Expert Member
Hey guys, in my neighbourhood we have been experiencing a few instances of petty theft recently. We have all added a few beams to our alarm systems and that seems to have worked, no issues since then. I am thinking of adding a few cameras for peace of mind. My alarm guy suggested Dahua cameras but after doing some research I am considering the Reolink 810A. Will probably get 4 of them to start. The picture quality seems to be good and it has person and vehicle detection. Should I get the Reolink NVR as well or look at getting a pc to record with Blue Iris. I'm not very tech savy but I can do some research and figure it out.
I have the 410s - have had them for about 6 months and absolutely no issues. Running Blue Iris on an old 4th gen i7 Dell PC. If you are to get Blue Iris try get one with a 6th or 7th gen Intel processor. Hoping to get 2 more 810s to add to my network for certain spots that need decent zoom capable cameras. Shout if there are any questions you might have and i can do my best to answer

Milion

I have the 410s - have had them for about 6 months and absolutely no issues. Running Blue Iris on an old 4th gen i7 Dell PC. If you are to get Blue Iris try get one with a 6th or 7th gen Intel processor. Hoping to get 2 more 810s to add to my network for certain spots that need decent zoom capable cameras. Shout if there are any questions you might have and i can do my best to answer
Thanks, will do some research regarding PCs and Blue Iris. Is there any advantage of going the pc route over the Reolink NVR.

powermzii

Expert Member
Thanks, will do some research regarding PCs and Blue Iris. Is there any advantage of going the pc route over the Reolink NVR.
Never used an NVR myself but i like the expand-ability and optionality of a PC. I also use it to run PLEX , Home Assistant and the Unifi Controller. It DOES mean a single point of failure though so there's that. Blue Iris also requires a (paid for) license but also means you can use different camera manufacturers - not sure if the Reolink NVRs allow you to do the same

Saba'a

Executive Member
I considered buying the Reolink NVR a number of times and other NVRs but prefer the PC ability to upgrade.

With an NVR risk of being stuck with reolink and hardware limitations. My understanding is also that NVRs will block me streaming to Google Homes but could be wrong. Now with cameras linked to PC I can stream to any chromecast tv or google home hub.

But of course pros are ease of use and compatibility.