Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
The RLC810A at a good price $79.

I'm still awaiting the RLC811A but the 810A gives excellent detail at a distance.
Thanks for that, just picked up 2 and 6x520s and an 8 channel NVR.
Can anyone recommend a good source for LAN cable?
Also, does the NVR provide power or do I need a POE switch?

Last edited:

deesef

Expert Member
If you are close to Randburg, contact Redstrut for uv protected copper cable

furpile

Expert Member
I bought cable from Scoop. They have outdoor cable which is full copper.

The NVR should have POE ports on it, just check how many it supports.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I use HD Cabling or Compucabling but Gauteng Pretoria.

Otherwise Scoop. Takealot - don't as quality unpredictable and expensive.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I bought cable from Scoop. They have outdoor cable which is full copper.

The NVR should have POE ports on it, just check how many it supports.
How's the pricing? I bought outdoor CCA by mistake and on collection when I realised mistake, the full copper was too much for my wallet.

But may have been quoted longer length than I required. Cant recall just that it was too steep for my wallet at the time.

furpile

Expert Member
How's the pricing? I bought outdoor CCA by mistake and on collection when I realised mistake, the full copper was too much for my wallet.

But may have been quoted longer length than I required. Cant recall just that it was too steep for my wallet at the time.
Yes the outdoor full copper is expensive. You can get CCA that is cheaper but they recommend copper for camera systems. Real world I don't know how much difference it makes. If the cable is not going to be exposed it does not need to be outdoor rated either, e.g. running inside the roof and just coming out under the eave to connect to a camera.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
I'm going to be planting these things right next to the hole. Or is that make the hole right next to where I'm going to plant the camera so I'm not really going to bother with UV resistant cable - I'd rather just paint over any exposed cable.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Yes the outdoor full copper is expensive. You can get CCA that is cheaper but they recommend copper for camera systems. Real world I don't know how much difference it makes. If the cable is not going to be exposed it does not need to be outdoor rated either, e.g. running inside the roof and just coming out under the eave to connect to a camera.
The outdoor CCA I use is fine. But its max 30m and mainly inside roof.

Azimuth

Expert Member
I’ve recently acquired some Blink XT2 cameras and I’m completely blown away. Virtually the same as AJAX (which I also run) - it’s no wonder that Amazon snapped up the company.

Flawless operation for around a week now and running 7 cameras with 2 sync modules.

The app is outstanding, remote access couldn’t be better and the footage is great (I’m not even running at 1080p).

It’s a truly wireless system architectured around an app, battery saving and cloud storage.

First camera battery replacement after 9 months. My driveway camera is the most active so I expect the others to run up to 18 months.

airborne

Honorary Master
With all these systems how are you guys remotely monitoring the cameras?

Most of the bundled remote monitoring/recording is near useless because the latency is bad or they just don't trigger half the time.

furpile

Expert Member
Had an attempted breakin to our house/complex on Thursday so want to get cameras outside, I already use Wyze/Tp Link inside.

I'm guessing Reolink are the way to go?
I'm happy with SD card recording etc so no need for nvr

Where's the best place to buy currently, from https://reolink.com/flash-sale/ ?

I just need basic - https://reolink.com/product/rlc-410/
Reolinks are good. I buy directly from them. You can buy from Amazon as well but Reolink has free shipping (you still pay customs) and that usually works out cheaper. I have a few of the 410's.