Smartphone battery life on 3G, 4G, and 5G tested

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

lowriderza

Expert Member
We tested the smartphone battery life on 3G, 4G, and 5G — and one drains it much faster

Real-world smartphone tests on 3G, 4G, and 5G revealed that the battery drains much faster on 5G than the other connectivity options.

Many people believe switching from 4G/LTE to 3G will use less battery life and save them data.
It seems you didn't take into account different Service Providers? I recall people complaining that battery drain was different across different provider networks? I'm not even sure how that would work from a technical perspective though.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Such a major flaw in this test.

You would need to determine the signal strength and quality of each technology, there is essentially no control test here.

Ideally you should test this in a Faraday cage, the mobile operators have these.

emperornemesis

"Many people believe switching from 4G/LTE to 3G will use less battery life and save them data" These are also the same people who refer to a LCD TV as a plasma, and forward Whatsapp messages to numerous victims, thinking that a whatsapp message will get you into heaven. We I take over the world, these people will all be shot.

PowerFactor

Hi Jan what is the frequency for each? Higher frequency don't travel that far and might need stronger transmitters.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
It seems you didn't take into account different Service Providers? I recall people complaining that battery drain was different across different provider networks? I'm not even sure how that would work from a technical perspective though.
I guess having less towers and being further from one would use more power?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Would 4K res use more battery than 720 or 1080p? How much data was used between the 3 types?

RandomGeek

Expert Member
"Many people believe switching from 4G/LTE to 3G will use less battery life and save them data"
Lol - yes and no. That may have been an issue in the early days of LTE. As device chipsets matured and got optimised, this became a non-issue.

I would also expect the 5G chipsets to get more efficient as we go forward

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Actually 4/5G should generally have better battery life as phone would be able to rush to sleep faster, you've gotten the data quicker.

This "test" is just signal strength and bands, not about 3/4/5G.

Just let your phone use 4G, it will give you the best experience usually.

Also there are different specs in the standard for 5G, e.g. Narrowband.

Right now 5G will usually have bad frequency allocated to it as it's more for bragging right. Also if on an 800 series 5G SoC from QC (e.g. 865), the 5G modem is a separate module and will use more power, on a 765G or something it's directly integrated and will have no difference compared to 4G.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
"Many people believe switching from 4G/LTE to 3G will use less battery life and save them data" These are also the same people who refer to a LCD TV as a plasma, and forward Whatsapp messages to numerous victims, thinking that a whatsapp message will get you into heaven. We I take over the world, these people will all be shot.

Can we also include the ****ers who refer to ANY type of internet connection as WiFi. Thanks.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Nevermind that, they used 1 phone model, 1 network provider in only 1 location with only 2 use cases.

Nee man.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Nevermind that, they used 1 phone model, 1 network provider in only 1 location with only 2 use cases.

Nee man.

That test has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese.

Taking this with a pinch of salt would be giving it too much credit.

markings

Expert Member
That test has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese.

Taking this with a pinch of salt would be giving it too much credit.
When you refer to holes in Swiss cheese you need to be more specific, in this case Emmentaler. Gruyere, Tilsiter, Appenzeller, etc. have few and very small holes only.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
When you refer to holes in Swiss cheese you need to be more specific, in this case Emmentaler. Gruyere, Tilsiter, Appenzeller, etc. have few and very small holes only.

You apparently know a lot more about cheese than myself, my experience with Swiss cheese is cartoons as a child. Lol